ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question:How many work on their own car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me =/= Mechanic

Jeez, I wish i could work on my own car. Mine is in the shop right now getting the tranny rebuilt, and it's been there for two weeks, and its costing me 1,000 bucks. Oh well, thats why I save my money, just for when the unpredictable happens.

Comment

I blow tryanny's, motors, suspensions. If I can't crash it It aint fixable! I hate tearing down my car every damn year. Its insane! I have every tool you can imagine!

Comment

this is how i see it. you shouldnt be into cars if you dont work on them yourself. i've been fixing and rebuilding cars since i was a youngin. its like second nature.

Comment

so, anyone get into drifting w/o knowing jack about cars and just learn from yourself as long as you work on your car?

Comment

i got into drifting a few years back because my uncle in daily city does it...i knew a few things about cars, not as much as i know now...but i think with cars, you can never stop learning...theres always something else to learn...for me cars are like life, if you master one aspect, theres always another to learn...like if you know your 4ag inside and out, you can also learn about a rotary...theres always something more...thats why i love cars...

Comment

I work on the little things, stuff that doesn't require thousands of dollars worth of tools or a lift. Oil changes and brakes are about the only things I do, not because I don't know how or don't want to, but for the most part, I haven't needed to fix anything else. Anything major or anything that requres tools I don't own or can't afford, I send it off to my friend at Firestone to get it fixed.

Sometimes I wish I had the time and tools(money) to work on my entire car. I'd like to be at that point someday. I've torn down and rebuilt an engine in high school shop class. My dad rebuild the engine in my bro's(became mine) Ranger way back when we first got it. I know enough to have some fun or at least get into a little trouble, hehe. I wouldn't mind pulliing the motor out in my Subaru and rebuilding the thing top to bottom with some high end components and get some real horsies under the hood. I'd be happy to yank off all the stock suspension and get 'er set up real nice with some pretty new performance parts. Ah...if only I had the time or money (and equipment) to do it...lol.

If all else fails, it's good to know a mechanic friend.

Comment

Originally posted by s0nny80y
                so, anyone get into drifting w/o knowing jack about cars and just learn from yourself as long as you work on your car?
                Yes when i started i had never even changed a brake pad.. didnt know how to go about it.. i grabbed some tools and figured it out. Thats how i've done everything so far. I would say i know a fair amount now. But im no mechanic by far. Just learn as i go.

Comment

this is the fun of owning a car. Getting your hands dirty. I used to have a 99' Trans Am and I only did the work on it. Half of the reason I bought the coupe is that I was bored and wanted something to work on.

Comment

"Good....broken..i like that"

That's one of my favorite sarcastic quotes, especially when i have to fix something on my car.

Comment

Originally posted by s0nny80y
                      what? what kind of sentence is that? even if you dont know *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* about cars you should have an idea of how the basics go. pick up a repair manual and get to work.

Comment

i have a shop...nuff said...=0)

Comment

I think to enjoy ur car to the fullest u have to be the one who works on it. Even though when something breaks, I might get a lil bit mad but when I'm done it was all worth it. That's how it is when it comes to owning an FD
                          Ohh by the way "Ghost" What kind of car do u drive, b/c I live in Brentwood, Ur live in the "Berg" glad to see another driftiner in the 925 area.
                          Last edited by spooln7; 06-04-2004, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I have a corolla so you know I do

You can do ANYTHING on one of these cars with the following: A jack, an 8,10,12,14,15,17,19, and 24mm socket and a 10mm flare nut wrench.

I've got tranny removal down to 15 mins. diff removal under an hour. Corollas are soooo easy. This is a good thing if you're out there beating on it all the time.

I'll pay for paint that's it.

Comment

Oh, and a screwdriver

Comment

I havent been able to do a whole lot on my car yet, I dont have the tools or specific knowledge to, but I can do some more simple things. I recently replaced the front brake pads/rotors, have torn the dash apart and fixed the stereo, taken just about every piece of trim out of the interior to follow wires (the guy who owned it before me must have been a very demented electrician... i pulled literally 100's of feet of wires that he put in out of it that used to be for audio, various switches, and god knows what else, and everything still works... whew), and Ive done the regular maintenance stuff on it. I also worked on my S12 when I had that for a year and a half to get it running and legal, (I was in hs and didnt have a garage, so a lot of the stuff was weather and time dependant) and did some minor work on my Saab 900. I like just getting in there and figuring out how the stuff works, but a Haynes manual is great for when you get in trouble or dont remember how something fits. Im the only one of my friends who works on my car, but also the only one really interested in cars.

Comment

Working...
                                X