what is the cheapest FR car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the cheapest FR car?

i am looking for a car right now but i dont really have much money and by not much money i mean about $1,600 and i live in michigan so cars rust easily. so far i have looked at 85-87 corollas and those are all in cali or NY so that is out. i looked for supras but i have no knowledge of people using that to drift and i love RX-7s but repairs are too much. 240sx is cool but a little to common for my taste. i am not driving yet so i need a easy platform to learn with and something that can take a violent beating. the roads in MI are crappy but there are a couple perfect U turns on my street. thanks for your time and any input will help. if i left any cars out please point out how stupid i am for missing them and list the car. <.-)

86s are most likely gonna be over 1,600...but if you look good you'll find one around that price range..er..maybe..but your best bet is to look for a cheap 240sx...if you really want to drift you shouldn't look to be different, especially if its your first project car

Comment

For your needs and budget, get a SOHC S13 hatchback... learn about them <a href=http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=66380#post66380>[Here]</a> These often go for about 1500 dollars in decent enough condition.

If you just want super cheap get a chevette as soultron would say. he says they can be had for 300 or less. I wouldnt call them super sturdy though. But who knows.

Comment

yeah i already read the drifting 101 thing and it was great. i cant wait till i get a car. my uncle goes to auto auctions in florida and he "adjusts" cars so i can probably get a hold a old bmw! i never thought of it but another car i really like is the porsche 944 because they seem to be easy to find for a low price. i want to hear about supras because it was an amazing car <*-)

Comment

Those are all great cars im especialy found of the Porsche 944. I dont know if any of those will fall with in your budget, nor can i attest to the ability to beat on them with out much trouble. I just cant say personally. I can however personally attest to the old S13's toughness. Pretty low matinence in that area.

But go ahead and get what you'd like man! its going to be your car.

Comment

do you think it could handle a lot because everyone i know has plain front wheel drive cars like my brother's mitsubishi eclipse or his friends acura rsx-s but i dont want a car like that. if you ever see a front wheel drive car burnout you can tell its just not the right way. i will look into the 240SX because i know it is the "Drift King" but maybe someday the drifting standard will be an FD or skyline GT-S.....someday hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by blargonator
              do you think it could handle a lot because everyone i know has plain front wheel drive cars like my brother's mitsubishi eclipse or his friends acura rsx-s but i dont want a car like that. if you ever see a front wheel drive car burnout you can tell its just not the right way. i will look into the 240SX because i know it is the "Drift King" but maybe someday the drifting standard will be an FD or skyline GT-S.....someday hahahaha
              Handle alot of what? power? abuse?

yes in both cases.. just replace the oil often. . and run a thick weight if your going to be at red line often..

Comment

older RWD domestics are cheap hehe.

Comment

The 944 falls into that class of cars that have great weight distribution but are hard to slide. Same as the 240z. Great weight distribution but hard to slide. If you must get a car just for Drifting, then get a 240. Everyone has em for a reason.

Comment

yeah i was actually supposed to get a perfect 280ZX the 2+2 and then my abuello (grandfather) wrecked it..... i was sad because i had searched for all sorts of stuff and it was gone forever. it was in TX so there was no rust for sure. it seems as if everyone is still telling me about the 240 but as someone said and i think it was nissan guy or something your car represents you so its a big decision. i still dont know anything about the supra. if i did get a 240 it would have to be a fastback because those headlights are easily the coolest looking headlights ever. thumbs up to everyone who has the fastback (is it fastback?)

Comment

Originally posted by blargonator
                      yeah i was actually supposed to get a perfect 280ZX the 2+2 and then my abuello (grandfather) wrecked it..... i was sad because i had searched for all sorts of stuff and it was gone forever. it was in TX so there was no rust for sure. it seems as if everyone is still telling me about the 240 but as someone said and i think it was nissan guy or something your car represents you so its a big decision. i still dont know anything about the supra. if i did get a 240 it would have to be a fastback because those headlights are easily the coolest looking headlights ever. thumbs up to everyone who has the fastback (is it fastback?)
                      Its a fast back styled hatchback as oposed to a wagon type hatchback like the 4th gen Civic HB. But both terms are acceptable.

Mine is a coupe though!

Comment

Foxbody Mustang, either 2.3Turbo or the 5.0 Whichever, plenty of aftermarket thats priced good and if you screw up somthing on your car, which you will, a junker will be easy to find to scavange from.

Comment

i dont know about domestic cars. i dont think it would be the same. there would probably be a shortage of parts compared to the 240sx or ae86.

Comment

O yeah thats right. I forgot how rare Mustangs and Camaros are today...o.O

Comment

i dont think there would be a shortage of mustang parts seeing as how the US is home of domestics...

edit: or you could just come out and say that you dont like domestics because they arent jdm or somethin...

Comment

Working...
                              X