No announcement yet.

Silvia vs. Corolla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a starlet yo', they will be the shizznit in the next couple years, and then it will be too late!!!1!!!

Comment

Re: Re: My dilemna silvia vs. corrola

Originally posted by CRASHDRIVE
      what you need is a cheap a$$ beat up 510 or 240 with no mod. damn, why spend that much?
      jeez since i got a 510 everyone wants one!!

lol jk, they are great little cars really. just dont crash it, its a dying breed.

Comment

ok i have now found a very mint 1983 280 z in my area what are those like?

hehe still give me any tips on the silvia and the rolla u can think of thou

im switching cars more then jennifer lopez switches husbands

Comment

Originally posted by yarzan
          i talked to the guy that owns RB Motoring, their gonna enter a RHD S14. i asked him why not just a lefty and his reason was that most drifting events occur in counterclockwise directions, therefore a guy on the right side of the car can more easily see the sitance between the car and the wall. it kinda surprised me but then it made sense.
          A lot of people feel more comfortable making left turns in LHD cars though - I think it's all about driver preference.

As for the 280, your weight balance won't be as good as with the AE or Siliva, but the L28 is a well-supported engine in the aftermarket and the styling is quite retro. Be very tuned in to any rust damage, especially since you live in Canada - Z's are often claimed by the brittle orange stuff.

-MR

Comment

Lemme tell you this, drive a RHD car before you get it. It is a VERY different feeling. It's hard to guage distance to the left side of the car from the rhd position. It was for me. It's cool to have though but I woud go with what you are comfortable with. Because in the end, that's what you are left with. After the Drifting is done and the hoopla has died down, you are left with a car that won't be easy to sell. People will like it until they drive it, then the average person won't want it. But it is fun to back through drive thru's. That always gets a cackle.

The 280Z is also a different feeling car. My RHD was a 280ZX Fairlady. The weight feels really weird in those Z's. The front end is so long and you are basically sitting on the rear wheels, so the transition is completely different than a 240sx. It's all preference. I love the old Z's. If you get one, get a Z not a ZX. Big difference there.

As for the 86, get one if you can. Those things are great. They are reliable, good gas mileage and really slider friendly. Big sweet spot, are very predictable and easy to conrol. Same with the 240sx's. I don't thinkt that you should get your first car imported though. Too much can go wrong there. Yea it's cool and you'll stand ou but if you crash it, you have to order parts, wait for parts and blah and blah. Just get one in your area and learn that way. It's your first car. You aren't even wet behind the ears in driving yet. So learn to drive normally before switching over to rhd. Odds are that will be the only RHD car you will ever have so you should learn the other way first.

Comment

someone said that the ae86 isnt reliable. the first page of this thread. they are. when i had one all i had to do was regular maitenance stuff. and nothing broke. i have a 240 now and i've had to do more work on this car than the hachi. this is my personal experience.

maybe the person who had the hachi before me changed allot of stuff to keep it running strong. other than that. i dont know what happened.

Comment

I say try something different, there's enough Corollas and 240/Silvias on the drift scene to be it's own small race. I would love to see one of those old Zs sideways. If you do choose to get the 86 or Silvia I say go with the 86, they are very reliable cars, and everyone I know with 240s seem to have matinence problems. If all else fails heads or tails. Use a quarter to your best descisions

Comment

yeah...japanese made toyota is quality...it was made for very little maintenance but of course i would be all for a corolla because im a big toyota fan...my whole family has toyotas and all we have to do is change oil...its all good though...i have lots of love for nissan...

Comment

I cant agree that 240 owners have any common problems... Its all pretty much the same.. And as for 86s being more reliable.. they are wlel engineered cars but you need to understand someof them are 20 years old now. You will have lots of problems just getting it into shape. Any old car will be like that.

Comment

Be happy that you're in Canada. You guys are wicked lucky to be able to import cars only 15 years old...You could be all over an R32 or a turbo S13 like nothing, compared to what they have to go through in the States.

Comment

yeah the shop cannonball that i posted the link for (www.cannonball-r.com ) ive been in their r32 it was awesome and the owners wife is importing a 98 r34 with like crazy mods

if your a landed citizen u can import a car from your contry any year

but back to the rolla vs all of teh above disscussion
                        Last edited by thatoreoguy; 06-10-2004, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Get whatever you can find that fits your budget and conditions. Either one will be good for drifting if you put in the effort towards driver improvement. Both will also probably cost a lot more than you think in maintenance and replacement parts, so factor that into your budget. You can easily spend equal to the cost of the car in the first year or two just fixing things.

Comment

hey thatoreoguy.. im from vancity too.. but whenever i check cannonball's site, there cars are always pretty expensive.. their cheapest is the levin that theyre bringing for like 7000... but i guess maybe because they would be importing the car specifically for you, it might be cheaper... but i didnt know that if you were landed here that you could import any car any year... cuz that would be just sweet...

but then again, i have seen r32's and r34's here that i dont think were motorex.. but im not sure about that... there's annother place that imports cars around here (or atleast is brining an r32) which is bavaria car studio in richmond... go to www.bavariacarstudio.com for info...

this is off topic, but did u see the m sports 180sx that cannonball had over here for a while (and for their white comet drift comp @ boundry bay)

Comment

yeah i was there at the drift event my friend drives the white fc

and bavaria imports there cars through cannonball

Comment

I think that you should find a 240, because your odds are slim finding a corolla like that anywhere. Especially for under 2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X