Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For tech, check the CRX boards out there

Comment

One of these days I've video my bf, he drifts his 88 CRX HF with a Dual ZC...I love it. I want to buy the car off him.

Comment

hey thatz pretty sick if u ever tape it can u send it 2 me? chuaboi36@yahoo.com thanx a bunch if u send it

Comment

Yea I'll try to do it...remind me this weekend

wickdmarz@hotmail.com

Comment

k will do

Comment

Originally posted by reduvall88
              i think i heard of a rwd top fuel del sol with a mid mounted h22. would that car be very hard to drift cause of its short wheel base and mid engine layout?

I could be wrong, but didn't that thing have like a 30/70 or worse weight distribution towards the rear. Not really optimal for drifting. Of course I'm newbishness personified. In fact, just disregard everything I say...

Comment

yeah actually someone brought up that wrx to rwd and i have been thinking about that for a while because has anyone used like an eclipse GSX or just a dsm in general and converted it? but i mean one that was originally all wheel drive.

Comment

ya i read about the wrx in sport compact car. what they did was cut off the power to the front with something. i forgot how. I doubt that many ppl have tried it.

Comment

this would be a good thread for new members, who have no drift knowledge, to read through.

making a RWD crx would be so much work. seriously, you would need a full cage, new front and rear suspension, reroute the exhaust, cut up good portions of the center of the chassis, the fuel tank would have to be taken out.
                    its a massive project and unless you have access to welding equipment, a full garage with lifts and a ton of fabrication knowledge, i wouldnt even take on a project like that.

Comment

thanx for the info. now i realli startin to not want to convert a crx. I have a question that has been nagging me for a while. Seems like a stupid question but i'm wondering why everyone uses a 240sx for a drifting platform. any info would help a bunch

Comment

the 240sx is popular for a many reasons.

the car has many available performance parts and stock replacement parts, which is good, because racing cars means breaking parts.

there are lots of these cars so it not a difficult car to attain and build

they are relatively cheap

they can be significantly weight reduced.

engine swaps are possible and straightforward

a stock 240sx has decent torque and horsepower

they are rear wheel drive, which is absolutely needed to perform more complex drift maneuvers.

and, the biggest benefit is that there is tons and tons of established tuning info, support, and technical information for this car.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                          I think some crazy guy is on here is trying it. But understand the difficulty involved in a drivetrain conversion, not to mention the fact that there are few RWD hondas to take parts from. Not exactly something for your first drift car project .
                          You mean me ?

Depending on your definition of the word a CRX can drift, but it's nothing like RWD drifting. Not only does it lack driven rear wheels, but because the car is so light it doesn't carry the same momentum through the turn that bigger FWD cars do. Add in super-gripping double-wishbone suspension and crappy drum brakes (mine's a DX) and trying to brake the rear loose with the E-brake won't help much to get you sideways...

Although my car is setup mostly for the touge, I have a good amount of oversteer dialed in to my car through spring rates and dampening (higher in the rear). I've also completely removed the front sway bar and added a stiffer one in the rear. Using braking and throttle-off techniques with low-grip rear tires it is very possible to initially kick the rear out, but don't expect the dramatic full-sweep tire smoking pandamonia that you get with RWD.

Honda, and one that has been a favorite of tuners for years and years, CRX's have the benefit of an enormous aftermarket and a plethora of used parts. (I just recently got adjustable KYB AGX's for around $250 and good spring rate coilovers for $50!) However, there is also a stigma that they carry in the drifting scene, as they tend to represent the creme of the crop of FWD platforms. Depending on where you go, people will either have the reaction of "that's awesome that he's using what he's got" or "get that jerk off the track". Either way, people usually don't expect it.

I started my drifting on mountian roads with a high-power AWD car and have just sort of gradually gotten more into the flat ground incarnation of the sport, but still feel more at home behind the wheel of an AWD car. I'm saving money right now and am in the process of setting up to start an aero parts company, but my CRX is destined to have the AWD system from a CR-V. This is probably where my experience will deviate from the norm, since RWD is really the drivetrain of chioce in drifting...

The RWD Integra Type R in Florida was built by Blake Fuller and crew at www.brailleauto.com, and they certianly had their hands full. Blake is a Honda guy at heart but has a huge interest in drifting and wanted to combine the two. I've talked with him several times and the plan may even be to market a kit that could convert a Honda to RWD. The motor is still the B18C that came in the ITR but it has been bolted to the CR-V transmission (since the B20 CR-V motor still has a B-series block) which has been modified to transmit power to the rears only. Before the car was built, a lot of people were saying that the differential would never hold and that everything will tear itself apart, but the Braille crew has since participated in several drift events without any catastrophic mechanical failures (although they did rip the front bumper off taking it off the trailer in Miami on its first public outing ).

The idea that a transverse-mounted motor will not transmit power rearward effectively is a common misconception - all the drivetrain needs is a ring gear on a pinion and BAM, your power is going another direction. Differentials in RWD cars are able to transmit loads and loads of power at right angles to the engine's axis, so it would be no problem to redirect 200hp from a dinky 1.8l. Due to the low weight (made lower by the folks at Braille), there is also less resistance on the drivetrain as well, which increases reliability and durability.

If you're thinking about making a RWD Honda, you have a number of options - you can essensially do a body-drop of a CRX onto a Miata or other drivetrain, you can transplant an entire driveline from one car into a CRX shell (which is what I would prefer, so that you can keep more of the originoal CRX), or you can adapt the car's engine and transmission to RWD...

It's definately cool to see people interested in taking the CRX out to slide, and I'd encourage you be safe and work with what you got!

I hope this scatter-brained post helps!

-MR

Comment

Originally posted by clay payton
                            this would be a good thread for new members, who have no drift knowledge, to read through.

making a RWD crx would be so much work. seriously, you would need a full cage, new front and rear suspension, reroute the exhaust, cut up good portions of the center of the chassis, the fuel tank would have to be taken out.
                            its a massive project and unless you have access to welding equipment, a full garage with lifts and a ton of fabrication knowledge, i wouldnt even take on a project like that.
                            The exhaust tunnel is plenty big enough for a driveshaft, but fuel tank would have to be raised up or have a cut-out. If you were to drop in a longitudinal motor, you would most definately need to do extensive modification to the trans tunnel. Rear uprights would have to be switched for half-shaft-friendly ones as well. Other than that, most of the stock equipment would be adequate - steering, frame, and so on.

-MR

Comment

For more on the S13 check this thread out. http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...&threadid=5023 It should bring you up to speed.

Comment

thanx a bunch everyone for help with the crx. would a b16 work for a rwd crx? i'm plannin on swapping my engine out and could use any info. That nissan guy for info on silvia. helps a bunch

Comment

Working...
                                X