No announcement yet.

Pro Drifters Wallets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that we need to develop regional talent in order for drifting to spread more and become successful, like it is in Japan.
    It seems that all the pros. are coming from the westcoast. I practice when I can and I know that it will take time to get at a professional level. As long as we all do our parts to learn from the people better than us, and teach the ones that are less skilled, then we will have a strong grassroots level in every state.
    Keep informing us on how and what it takes to support you all and the sport of drifting.

Comment

you've also got to realize that the US is a HELL of a lot bigger than japan. So it's gonna take a little while to get things started in a certain area. It just takes a certain type of person to step up and make things happen, do research call the right people. There were'nt just a bunch of people sitting around talking about doing things. There were people, albeit people with companies and cash backing them,(what? you didn't know that it was uber expensive to fly cars from Japan to Cali? Feed ,and shelter the drivers? fuel and tires for the sponsored drivers and maybe a helping hand to a promising driver not yet turned pro?) You've gotta be kidding me if you don't think the first d1 cost thousands of dollars, although they probably did make a pretty penny with sold out crowds and people hounding for more.

But, you know what they always say "You gotta have money to make money". You gotta find people (aka sponsors with deep pockets and short arms) in order to throw events. I hate to say it but only deep pockets can get this ball rolling. And cause some but not all of the drifters here are halfway poor ,and slackers to boot ,with no sponsors it's GOING to take a long while to get anything decent going over here. So......Stop talking and start doing. If you want it go get it. "If you ain't got deep pockets stick yer hand in someone else's" I always say.

Comment

Originally posted by baboon's a$$
        you've also got to realize that the US is a HELL of a lot bigger than japan. So it's gonna take a little while to get things started in a certain area. It just takes a certain type of person to step up and make things happen, do research call the right people. There were'nt just a bunch of people sitting around talking about doing things. There were people, albeit people with companies and cash backing them,(what? you didn't know that it was uber expensive to fly cars from Japan to Cali? Feed ,and shelter the drivers? fuel and tires for the sponsored drivers and maybe a helping hand to a promising driver not yet turned pro?) You've gotta be kidding me if you don't think the first d1 cost thousands of dollars, although they probably did make a pretty penny with sold out crowds and people hounding for more.

But, you know what they always say "You gotta have money to make money". You gotta find people (aka sponsors with deep pockets and short arms) in order to throw events. I hate to say it but only deep pockets can get this ball rolling. And cause some but not all of the drifters here are halfway poor ,and slackers to boot ,with no sponsors it's GOING to take a long while to get anything decent going over here. So......Stop talking and start doing. If you want it go get it. "If you ain't got deep pockets stick yer hand in someone else's" I always say.
        If you got the way, we got the will.

Comment

Good thread. I just want to give a little perspective on this issue. The thing is, pro drivers even in Japan aren't rolling in dough. For instance, Ueo's shop is like 30 minutes from my house and he is there almost everyday when there are no events going on. It's not a big shop either. It's two stalls, no lift and a bunch of cars sitting out front not getting sold. Add in people showing up and asking for autographs, wanting to chat (<-- me) and not buying stuff... I can't believe how friendly he still is.
          (Hachi drivers) Buy GARAGE SIFT parts:
          http://www.sift.jp/s_parts.html

Comment

once i get ahold of my hachi...i will....

Comment

And there you have the main difference between the Japanese Drifting scene and the Aerican one, heck the Japanese scene and the American scene in general. The people. In Japan Drifting is a way of life for 95% of the people in it, here it's just a fad for that 95%.

Comment

that's pretty true ghost. Sad but true.

Comment

i agree i know a few guys and they all work just like everyone else. once you go pro you don't hit the lottery

Comment

I live in MN, drifting is as rare here as nice weather. Naturaly I would love events to go to, and a scene to be a part of. But the one thing Im worried about is when it does go national and drifting gets the red bull / mountain dew treatment, we will lose a big part of what was cool about it. Like the fact that there are real relationships with pros and fans, we are the same people. you dont see that in many sports, I appreciate it. But at the same time I know you guys (pros) are working your boots off to make this happen for yourselves. So when it does happen I hope yall are the ones at the top.

Comment

I don't know how it is going to go, but it is true that there are a lot of guys getting into it that know nothing about how it really is in Japan. They just think they are going to get in a car and pick it up in a few runs. I would like to think there is more required than that to get good and do it skillfully and artfully. It is not as easy as some people think. Some do pick it up faster than others, but it requires a certain amount of mistakes, crashing, and experience to get to our level. You gotta pay to play!...and I have certainly paid. Just ask me sometime at an event or something how I have paid. Or ask some of my military friends that knew me in Japan. Ask the pros from Japan how many cars they have crashed. Diajiro is back in his PAC RIM car, Taniguchi is back in his HKS car, Ken Gushi is back in his ROTORA car, and I am still in mine. These are all guys who love drifting and did not quit regardless of what happened. I know a lot of people who destroyed a car and that was the end of it. They no longer saw the point in drifting. There are guys in Okinawa where I learned that know nothing of D1 and pro drivers. They just go out at night and play, because it is fun. Thats what I used to do. I did not know about D1 until I came back here. Yes the competition brings more pressure to it, but we still gotta enjoy it. We only seem to get upset when the car is not performing and we are unable to put on a show. Enough about that stuff!

I just hope these new guys jumping into drifting..."the newest form of motorsport" take some time and do their homework and check out some of the history of this stuff. Maybe travel to Japan and see where it comes from. There is more to it than powersliding around looking cool.
                      Ernie Fixmer
                      Formula Drift/VR Motoring/Robinson Helicopter
                      Lakewood, CA 90712

Comment

i agree strongly with G.o.D. and Ernie.

Comment

I would also like to add that this is an awsome post. You have probably heard all of this before but it wasn't from me. I live in Indiana and there are about five of us here in town that are truely into this. It is hard to find places to go and practice. We get no track time and there is only one comp. going on this year, but we are dedicated to the sport and want to see it grow into a founderful thing. We don't have pros or a drift shop (the one we did have shut-down), but we still manage to hang-out everynight, work on each others cars, and go have fun together. You don't have to be the best at it right away you just have to understand that it takes a commitment (mental/money) to get to where you want to be. Like they have said you will crash and brake stuff it's part of it. just stick to it, and if you really want to be apart of this you will always find a way to stay in it. Eventually more people from the Mid-west/Dirty south will get recognized and they will have more events and drift days [on knees prayin for track time]. So keep your head up and stick to it.

Hey Ghost, how is the Dragon lookin this year? Me and some of the Velocity guys are thinking of making a trip down there...Holla back.

And for everyone else hopefully we will see ya in Cali. sometime this year.
                          Buy D-Stage!!!and Aero Grace!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
                            Buy Battle Version products!!! Built by me, and is my only income to support my drifting habit. www.battleversion.com

We pro drift guys would really like to run around the country putting on schools but for the most part, drifting is still developing, and not many people are willing to pay the extra money for the track rental, insurance, and us to get there and back when they have touge or there favorite parking lot to go to.
                            Alex email me maybe we can promote your stuff at our events in houston.

I totally understand where you guys are coming from.
                            I spend all my extra cash on trying to keep our drift meets going.
                            We're all strugling to keep a float.

For the guys in areas with not much of a drift scene try looking at bigger cities near you. They may have some drift groups out there you're not aware of. If you're really wanting to get a little meet going save some cash between your friends to rent a lot. Insurance is a HUGE deal for venues. Unfortunately because it's soo hard to get most folks don't give up that info.

I wish I had more money to help out the Houston folks but we can only do so much. Support the pro guys while the sport grows by purchasing any of thier products. It's fun to watch the amatures but the pro's are the ones that help us see how far we can go.

Anyone wanting to sell their products down souf let me know and I'll do what I can to spread your products.

Alex B.

Comment

Who cares if a driver seems unapproachable, or friendly. They aren't there to be your friend, they are there to put on a deft-defying show of automotive mayhem. If they are friendly, then its just a bonus. It just so happens that all of them are approachable and easy to talk to.

People new to the sport should respect those that came before them, and enter it with a humble attitude. This forum and several others have "newbies" who are arrogant, give advice and comment on things they hardly know about, and are unwilling to put in the time and effort that it takes to learn and adapt. Several realities:

1) You cannot build a budget drift car. It costs money, and lots of it. sure you can start drifting with anything, but once you start regularly attending events, it gets expensive

2) Events are not expensive. 80-120 dollars per event for 5 hours of seat time is a bargain. How much seat time did you get in an auto -x for 30$? Also, you won't get a ticket or get arrested and you have seasoned drivers to help you. That alone is worth it.

3) The more you support the sport it will come back to you. If you buy Battleversion products, alex can further compete in events, better maintain the vehicle, and therefore produce more parts, and possibly for less. You get the benefit, plus he is more than willing (as is ernie) to give back by instructing.

4) reading about how to drift or watching videos will only take you so far. Go and drive.

Comment

Haven't been to the Dragon yet this year. The Fd is still sitting in the garage just collecting dust. I got into Downhill Mt Biking and just dropped 1700.00 on a bike and armor and some other stuff. Bout 7k worth of stuff some guy didn't use anymore. So I been practicing that. First race is on the 18th at Windrock Mt in Tenn. I'm dusting the FD off for Nopi and maybe some Dragon runs in a couple weeks so i'll let you know then. But comon down. Garage-Sixgun may be up and running by then so you'll have a place to hang and we can probably put you guys up for the night at some of the folks house's.

Oh and Windrock Mt road that leads up to the summit is just about the most perfect Driftable road I have seen in these or any other parts in a long time. No traffic, not a public road and perfect dimple free blacktop. I almost creamed myself on the ride up to the trail. Holy crapoly Batman. Talking to them about setting up an exhibition there. Little out of the way but no cops, lots of parking and the road is sweet. Has the perfect judging corner, everything. Awesome.
                                Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 07-08-2004, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X