This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thankfully, reason is returning

Ghost: thank you so much for a polite, meaningful reply. It came just at the right time.

I agree with you 100% that this industry is not all about a flash....or HIN. To a large degree, financially speaking, that side of it is a bigger market, but it is not my preference. I hope I'm clear on that.

I'm always disappointed to learn that people believe that the neon craze and rice infestation is in some way attributable to my work on TF & TF, when the reality is that RJ and I argued against it. We didn't write the stuff, we helped build the cars, yet people often give us too much blame (or credit, as it were).

I can appreciate your remarks re: "being accused of being a sellout," but again, I don't wish to digress from the original purpose of this thread: to get feedback. BTW: AS for my website, I've helped more than 1000 car owners make money...lots of money... and in fact, 50% of the people on my site who have registered (about 2500 cars over the past 3 years) have been given FREE registrations. I don't make money from the site, I lose money but offer it as a service to help get my colleagues the exposure many crave.

With respect to getting down on Nissanguy or others, I feel I'm entitled to give back a little prodding when provoked, but did so only when provoked. Re read my posts and you'll see that I was polite up until it was time to not be more firm. My posts about the cars in my garage were only attempts to make people realize that even when you get older, car guys are still car guys.

I truly was surprised by the sentiment of some to want to enjoy their sport more quietly, out of the prying eyes of the mainstream media. This is interesting feedback and seems to go against the grain.

I'm working on the assumption that drifters want some worldwide accolades and for their achievements and skill....our drifting segments, although only 25% of each show, are set up to showcase first what it takes, some of the challenges facing beginners, some of the car knowledge required and in later shows, what pros from Japan go through to bring it to us.

I hope this sounds interesting....and spot on.

Lastly, let me just state again that I'm not making a penny from this show.

As far as jumping on a fad, please understand that my world straddles the line between automotive and entertainment. In order to produce successful marketing properties, one must capitalize upon relevant and fresh trends. This has value to sponsors...and allows me to work on projects that showcase my love: cars.

The irony: I still consider myself a car geek stuck in a great position, a position in which I find myself able to get my friends (other car geeks) exposure and the respect they deserve. When I hold a mirror up, that's what I see. I consider myself to be exploiting Hollywood's interest as much as they exploit our world.

I hope we understand each a little better.

Keep the ideas flowing.

Comment

• I'd watch it and give you some feedback, but I don't have a TV. I have a car.

Comment

• LOL

There's a fellow with his priorities straight...hehehe

Comment

• Alright, I'll make you a deal. You buy me a set of tires and I'll watch your show. Because from what I've seen no one else will.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

• Oh yeah... for some Falken Azenis Tires. 5Zigen rims. I'll go to my friends house and watch the show.

Comment

• Craig, I get what you are talking about. I only came in to state my opinion and maybe to help others to understand a little of what you are going through. I understand that everything is fun and games until you try to start making a living at it. Alot of people don't understand that in here because they have not been exsposed to it. Ideas and dreams sometimes have to take a back seat. I don't usually do that but alot of normal people do and I can only respect that.

I also do understand Hollywood, having been in that business some. Crappy movies are not made with input from everyone that makes them. They are one or a couple peoples dream and they want it that way or you don't work on it. If you were hired to make the cars for the movie then I understand totally. What can you say when someone comes up to you and asks you to build a movie car? No? I don't think so. Where would we be if Barris had said no to the Munstercoach or the Monkeemobile? So I can understand that too. Now if you did that to that poor Skyline all on your ownsies then...well.

Like I said, I will watch the show and see what this is all about. I don't know because I haven't seen so I can't talk. Probably best though to let all this simmer down so everyone just calm down and let things get back to normal here. May even have to shut this one down to let tempers cool back down to normal.

Comment

• people..people

ahh just got in from a night on the town(central timezone)... Keeping posting your recent thoughts of the past show and todays show. Think critical!

Comment

• =(

It's sucks to see that things have gone down the path that they have. I was hoping for positive progression (with everyone understanding everyone else a bit more) that would have led to barriers being broken down but it seems the reverse has happened and even more barriers are up.

*Sigh*

But this is the reality. I can only hope that it changes.

What a bummer...

Comment

• Wow, well I've never watched the show, and I didnt read through all the posts, but I think I get the idea. You can find more info about me on my club website (click my signature). Anyway, here's what I would recommend for any type of TV coverage of drifting:

1. Have someone that participates in professional competitions read over the script before its aired. This way they can correct anything that might be comming across wrong as far as technique or the origin of the sport. Try not to associate this with me saying anything negative about your personal driving experience (as the host), because I'm not. The honest fact is that someone that professionally competes in these types of events will probably know the technique better than someone who has done it in the past, or does it every once in a while. This would include me, you, and anyone else that does not regularly professionally compete. No reason to lose face there. One of the things that makes people mad is when the media portrays drifting differently than it really is. I'm not saying thats what you guys did on the show (I didnt even watch it), but understand that is has happened in the past

2. Mention grassroots Events on the show. I realize that drifting is a small part of the scene you are covering, but I really think promoting Grassroots types of events will help the sport grow more than anything else. Everyone loves to watch professionals drift, but for someone that decides they might want to participae, they might be left hanging as far as where to go or what to do. Todays beginners will be tomorrows pro's and the best way for people to practice and get good legally is attend clinics and track events. Some Events that I can think of off the top of my head that hold clinics as well as competitions: Drift Day, DGTrials, Drift Session, and I know there are plenty more.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• For Crazy Hawaiian

Thanks for the feedback, good stuff here.

We are in fact doing both of the items you've suggested, not in response though. You see, both of these areas were addressed in taping of the first three shows, which is already done.

To your point #1, the script is reviewed by several people, including pro drifters, sponsors who go to the events and comments are likewise taken right from some of the interviews with Japanese drivers. After the first show (hope you saw it), I was not aware of any technical errors. I do believe that we did a good job of explaining several types of drifting, such as the feint, ebrake and clutch kicking. Please correct me if you know of any glaring technical errors. We are not making any assumptions about drifting, so all the commentary comes straight out of the interviewee's mouth or is fed to us right from pros as I mentioned above. This was of paramount importance to us from the outset.

As for point #2, there is a whole segment coming including an interview with our friend who runs the Drift Days events, with further commentary by Alex Pfeiffer and again, interviews with grassroots drifters. I believe that's in today's episode.

Other shows cover even more grassroots events, such as Drift Showoff Miami. At the end of each segment, you'll note that we post the website for each corresponding drift organization so that people who are interested can learn more.

Later on in the series, we even cover a pro team as they get ready for competition at the D1GP.

Honestly, I believe there's a good mix of drifting coverage in a fashion most will appreciate....if they give the program a chance.

And yes, your insightful input is helpful...its' reaffirming the decisions made some time ago and giving us insight as how we need to edit future shows to more custom tailor the programming to core audiences. I don't believe any other show has ever done that.

Have a great day and please be sure to keep the feedback coming.

Comment

• From now on out, if anyone has criticism for the SHOW and not for the MAN, post it, if you don't and you continue to attack him personally, i'm going to have to shut it down again and warn you all.

I hate to put it that way but you all are wanting some respect but in the same sentence on some of the posts you call the guy a jerk or a money grubbing whatever, attacking him personally. This thread is about the show not him, so keep your posts and input about the show or keep it constructive.

This will NOT become a zoo thread again or it will end. I'm done with all this crap.

Comment

• I'm watching redline now, because I didn't get to see it last week. you guys were right. The editor needs to be shot. That "catch our drift" crap needs to go. Definately get a new host. get a project car. We'll since no one at redline is going to listen to me or any one else, I don't know why I'm doing this. I'm probably not going to ever watch this show ever again. Unless Lieberman goes, and it gets a very drastic change. Theres my feedback.

Comment

• I have the answere to all your problems. I also have the answere to your show and future endevores in drifting.

DX

ask around you will find the meening

Comment

• Saw the 2nd show today after being mad that I missed the 1st. Show was OK, could be much better, but it wasn't so bad that i would want it cancelled. See my review in the Redline TV episode 2 thread. I don't know Craigs history, but I enjoyed Fnf & 2Fn2F, due to my age I realize they are movies and not documentarys. I also realize that Redline TV is a REAL show about drifting. So as long as Craig and the staff at redline, don't try to overhype and make drifting look FAKE. I would watch it. The episode where you folks start to bling it out and have lambo doors and neon and 3 nitrous bottles in a passenger seat, then its the wrong show for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X