Formula D Sonoma (FEEDBACK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
    and this one more time thing needs to stop, if the judges where good, they could make a decision on the first go around. There are no second chances or replays in other sports.
    In D1 their mind is already made up before the "One more time" run.I don't know about Formula D,I haven't payed a lot of attention to it.It looks to be in ruins.The judges are questionable.....And the rules seem to be more lose than some 60 year old manko.D1 is pretty straight foward with their rules,Formula D on the other hand,it's obviously not.

Formula D has not once made an attempt to justify the Viper CC.We can raise all the questions and ask away,but at the end of the day,as long as money is to be made from it,they don't give the time of day to try and reply with some justification.It's a little hard when Mopar is the ones cutting your cheque.Not saying that's the case though,but it's a very real possibility.

Comment

• the main problem with the car was the tranny was fu*ked up it wouldnt go into 3rd....only a few times it went it...but he gots a new tranny now and yea i think hes gonna do some damage in the next event

Comment

• another problem is that the ebrake wouldnt lock up the tires...but now that everything is fixed then yea im sure hell atleast get best 16 this time....

Comment

• driving a fd is a bit harder than it looks.

The trans being broken ok, so no speed, but that doesnt mean miss the apex every time. The ebrake, dont use that as an excuse ether, mine hasnt worked all year. Its a bummer but o well.

I talked to a couple people who asked about it. AE86's, you drive with the wheel and are most of the time full throtle. 240's, you drive with the rear wheels, meaning all your control of the car comes from the throtle pedal. Most people will learn one style or another. Most other cars are not as easy to drive, you must use both sterring and throtle imputs to drive and takes a bit more to do well.

I still give Ross alot of props he has done well and i hope he gets a chance to prove himselve and be on the podium, but he still has alot to learn. Mostly because he needs more experience with the competitions here and not in hawaii. Its too different worlds.
          BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
            hey pony, your information is correct but the 2 falken judges dont judge at the same event. Only one of them will be a judge at a time.

The reason why i say I dont like tarzan as a judge is for 2 reasons, first he was never a drifter, he was allways a grip driver untill drifting gave him some publicity.
            Second and most important, since he has so much more publicity then the other judges, there is kinda a sempi (sp) thing going on where his judgement means more than the other 2. Kinda like Keiichi is the main judge in D1 and his word is final. Tarzan isnt keiichi and is not a godfather or drift advisor to anyone. He is a funny guy everyone likes to watch and gets a kick out of his antics. It cool to have him there, just think judging is not for him. Leave it up to the actual D1 drivers who know there stuff.

Ross is a good drifter, he didnt show his best at his first formula d event but im sure with some practice in that car he will get better.

All the hawaii guys have a different style, they dont get to run on alot of different tracks. They all kinda drive similar since they practice together. Lots of tire smoke and angle, but they should work on getting more speed. Talked to a few of the hawaii guys about that.
            Sam was never a drifter either. i can see how stunt driving and drifting have their ties, but that doesnt mean you should stick to one style of driving.

i know the judges converse during and after every run and the one more time thing is just for the added crowd hyping factor. it creates a sense of suspense.

however, i think its unfair for everyone to point out tarzan has a bad seed. the man knows his cars and im sure hes had time to learn whats a good line and what someone has to do to drift around a course.

it all just boils down to driving, ya know? i guess if we end up discussing this some more, we would just be splitting hairs. i dont want to cause any bad blood between anyone here.
            Last edited by pony; 07-18-2004, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Feint
              In D1 their mind is already made up before the "One more time" run.I don't know about Formula D,I haven't payed a lot of attention to it.It looks to be in ruins.The judges are questionable.....And the rules seem to be more lose than some 60 year old manko.D1 is pretty straight foward with their rules,Formula D on the other hand,it's obviously not.

Formula D has not once made an attempt to justify the Viper CC.We can raise all the questions and ask away,but at the end of the day,as long as money is to be made from it,they don't give the time of day to try and reply with some justification.It's a little hard when Mopar is the ones cutting your cheque.Not saying that's the case though,but it's a very real possibility.
              think about this:

How long has D1 been around and how long has FD been around?

When import drag racing first got hot, the rules werent exactly set in stone either. it was more of a seat of your pants thing and playing everything by ear.

Comment

• you know the old expression "Hes on there payroll" like micheal moore would say "Bush is on the saudi payroll" or something like that. Even if there is no real payroll (the bush thing is an example.. do not discuss it here)

what i am saying is a few of us are just very uncomfortable with Tarzan LITERALLY being on Mopar's payroll. And sence mopar sponsors the series figuritively everyone working for it is on there payroll.

Comment

• Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                  you know the old expression "Hes on there payroll" like micheal moore would say "Bush is on the saudi payroll" or something like that. Even if there is no real payroll (the bush thing is an example.. do not discuss it here)

what i am saying is a few of us are just very uncomfortable with Tarzan LITERALLY being on Mopar's payroll. And sence mopar sponsors the series figuritively everyone working for it is on there payroll.
                  thats where youre wrong. mopars logo on the flyer is TINY. that means they didnt pay as much as you think. its not the Mopar Formula Drift.

Comment

• Originally posted by pony
                    thats where youre wrong. mopars logo on the flyer is TINY. that means they didnt pay as much as you think. its not the Mopar Formula Drift.
                    Tell me how much i think?

And Tarzan is still on there payroll.

Comment

• Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                      Tell me how much i think?

And Tarzan is still on there payroll.
                      it doesnt cost much at all to get yourself on the flyer. if you really want to know, call up slipstream and ask. sometimes a logo on a flyer can be traded for other services like on websites and such.

i dont think tarzans pockets are hurting to the point he has to ruin his and mopars credibility.

Comment

• A few things. One, as far as I know, Tarzan is not a Mopar Sponsored driver. He drives for Team Taisan, and Ricky Chiba. Chiba also owns Porsche's, Ferrari's so does that mean that Tarzan is sponsored by them also??? I do have a couple of questions, because I am truly new to this sport. I hear alot of drifting is from the streets and mountains, and keep to the spirit of the sport and things like that. What I don't understand is, do the people who do this sport want it to grow into a professionally sanctioned racing series, with big coporate sponsors? Do the people who do this want to keep doing it out of their own pocket for the rest of thier lives, or do they want to pick up a big sponsor that will give them a team to take car of and setup the car for them? I hear a lot of I do this for the love of the sport and things like that, but part of me does not understand that. I come from a drag racing background, and the reason people try to accel and make their cars look good, is to hopefully catch the eye of a sponsor to help pay for their hobby, and maybe one day do it full time for a living. I guess my question is, if a big coporate sponsor, let's say Budweiser, came to one of the Formula D drivers and said I like what you do, and I want to pay you a six figure salary to drive our drift car, and we will supply you with a team, and car hauler. Would they turn it down???? That is the feeling I get. And if they would, can someone give me an explanation what they are doing this for? Besides the love of the sport. I'll end this by saying, I'm not trying to start anything, but I am new to this, have come to enjoy it, and the people we compete against, and would like to understand the mentality behind it more. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by NFJohn
                          What I don't understand is, do the people who do this sport want it to grow into a professionally sanctioned racing series, with big coporate sponsors?

I guess my question is, if a big coporate sponsor, let's say Budweiser, came to one of the Formula D drivers and said I like what you do, and I want to pay you a six figure salary to drive our drift car, and we will supply you with a team, and car hauler. Would they turn it down????

To answer your first question many of us do not want it to be a professionally sanctioned racing series with big corporate sponsors. Then it becomes a spectator sport where no whos not established can hope to get in. That doesnt go for everyone here, however those are my feelings and i know im not alone in it.

To answer your second question i would never drive for an alchahol company. In my personal view it has no place around motor vehichles. I dont care how much they offered me. Im not looking to make a living off drifting. I just enjoy driving. And i like the idea that those big professional series like Formula D are still obtainable to the privateer.

Drifting will never be a sport where the majority of it is done on tracks. It just wont happen. I guess alot of guys view track events as a nice bonus. But our world doenst revolve around it. Im sure guys like Alex P and such who do it professionally feel alittle different. But i am express the views of many of the grass roots guys.

Comment

• A lot of whinning going on. FD is in it's first year, bugs will be found and worked out. There is not a lot of parity in the field, that's great - a diverse field instead of only a few types of cars. Mopar and pontiac has thrown thier backing into the sport - look how many people are being exposed to drifting because of it and want to see these cars.

To answer your first question many of us do not want it to be a professionally sanctioned racing series with big corporate sponsors. Then it becomes a spectator sport where no whos not established can hope to get in. That doesnt go for everyone here, however those are my feelings and i know im not alone in it.
                            Then form a group of friends and go drift by yourself in parking lots, no one is stopping you. FD is a big racing series that has money in it - which is good for people like us. Without the corporate sponsorships we would not be going around to large events to drift. As drivers get better it will be harder to get in, life and all sports are like that.

Mopar - awesome car and awesome driver - and they have not broken. Twice this year people who could challenge the mopar have broken in the final rounds.

FD is a spectator sport - 10,000 people don't show up and pay money to make you happy, they want to be entertained. One more time - why not? The better driver should be able to back their runs up, and it makes for a good show.

What other autosport could someone with $5000 in a car, go to every local event for a year - then be competitive in a large professional event?

If FD isn't your thing go to other local events or start your own events. Some of us are loving every minute of FD, and hoping to stay around for as long as we can.

james
                            Bubba Drift

Comment

• Originally posted by z28evans

Then form a group of friends

You make it sound like we dont. He asked how we felt. i responded to how i felt. I dont see what it is im suposed to not be doing or be doing differently?

10 thousand people may of shown up to a formula D event but by in large drifting is a sport where you drift. The vast majority of people on this website (who can actually drive) Drift., they dont consider them selfs just a fan of drifting. And i feel its the same threw out most of it. Drifting isnt like Nascar where a tiny percentage of the fans have actually drove a stock car. That is what i mean by its not a spectator sport.

Comment

• The vast majority of people on this website (who can actually drive) Drift., they dont consider them selfs just a fan of drifting. That is what i mean by its not a spectator sport.
                                Sorry, i misunderstood what you meant. We have two drifting groups in texas - www.dailydrifter.com and www.texasdrift.com . We are very active with Daily Drifter, most of our friends help setup and run the events with Alex. We have a lot of fun doing these events.

I really like the people i've met through FD, and the fun we've had - i am a little protective when i see people complaining about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X