• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laying Drags

Georgia
    Gwinnett County Police
    OFFENSE: Laying Drags
    Violation of Code Section: 40-6-751(9)

Tonight I was practicing car control in the same secluded, empty parking lot I have been using for the past 3 and a half months and was stopped by a Gwinnet county police officer. He then asks me to step out my vehicle because I am under arrest for laying drags and proceeds to read me my rights as he hand cuffs me. For the next 15 minutes I proceed to display the best explaining/ negotiating/ hustling/ convincing/ begging/ bartering/ praying skills I have ever mustard and got off with a citation and a very harsh warning.

This is becoming extremely frustrating that there is absolutely NO legal places in which we can practice here in Georgia. I cannot afford anymore citations but what am I to do? Nothing will keep me from my dreams and desires of becoming a professional drifter but potentially losing my freedom is ridiculous.

How long will we have to wait in this corner of the country before we can get some practice days? When is Road Atlanta going to open up for us? When are you import tuning shops and stores going to step up to the plate and help drifting grow. Its sad that we have like 5 NOPI stores and 4 if not more shops that specialize in JDM swaps in the Atlanta area but no sanctioned drifting events. The closest thing I've seen is auto cross in the Georgia Dome parking lot held by GSU students on rare, random Saturdays.

I can't be the only one that feels strangled by their own desire to improve their drifting skills and the long arm of the law.

WHAT CAN WE DO????

to tell you the truth, theres not much to do except to find another spot. danm po po's..

Comment

Its crazy that "Laying Drags" is an arrestable offense in GA, I was really lucky.
      Last edited by my 1 88 u; 07-23-2004, 08:47 PM.

Comment

hey u kno, maybe it isnt... MAYBE THAT COP JUST WANTED TO FEEL UP ON YOU! haha ok jm

but yeah theres always a place where you could practice.

Comment

I hate GA. Too many cops, not enough drift spots.

Comment

Originally posted by jaydm180sx
            I hate GA. Too many cops, not enough drift spots.
            It could be worse...you could be in california where the smog nazis built the third reich. But yeah...we have drift days and what not.

Comment

fill me in, what does it mean to lay a drag?

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper
                burning out, doing donuts, leaving tread marks, pretty much if a cop see's your tires smokin

Comment

Are other areas having similar problems?

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper

Lay a drag? my guess is it means to fawk a drag queen.Which should be a arrestable offense in any state

Comment

Originally posted by SR_power19
                      Lay a drag? my guess is it means to fawk a drag queen.Which should be a arrestable offense in any state

because you are a fellow Libra I will go easy on you, but this is a serious thread on a serious issue that effects everyone that chooses to practice drifting, so please keep the nonproductive comments to your self.

Comment

Actually, laying drag in GA is not an arrestable offense, but wreckless driving is. PLUS you were on private property, so in reality the officer had no grounds to handcuff you OR place you under arrest without permission from the owner of said lot. That falls under the same premise as them not being able to cite fault in an auto accident on private property. That's why you got off with a citation and a warning. Dollars to doughnuts, if you went to court and proved that it was private property, you would get off. But then you would incur the wrath of said officer and the rest of his buddies. The citation was actually given incorrectly since it was private property.

Now, if you like your parking lot so much, approach the owner and ask for permission to use his lot. Explain to him what it is you do, how you do it and maybe offer to keep his lot clean of trash and whatnot. People like a clean lot more then they don't like skid marks in it. If you are respecful he may just let you use it. THEN when said officer comes back to bust you again, you whip out one permission slip from John Q Owner and politely advise Officer Brown nose to go catch real criminals. Have a nice evening Officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                          THEN when said officer comes back to bust you again, you whip out one permission slip from John Q Owner and politely advise Officer Brown nose to go catch real criminals. Have a nice evening Officer.
                          I'm black, that doesn't seem safe.

But good advise I'll try to find a better spot with a owner I can trust.

Comment

in the country side they lay
                            waiting for us to come and play
                            strips of asphalt and concrete
                            set up to support the fleet
                            most are unmaned and alone
                            free of cliffs, curbs and stone
                            to fight an enemy that never came
                            they can support drifters just the same
                            While there you can slide or grip
                            A drifters friend, the long lost airstrip.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                              in the country side they lay
                              waiting for us to come and play
                              strips of asphalt and concrete
                              set up to support the fleet
                              most are unmaned and alone
                              free of cliffs, curbs and stone
                              to fight an enemy that never came
                              they can support drifters just the same
                              While there you can slide or grip
                              A drifters friend, the long lost airstrip.
                              Beautiful.I'm gonna sig that if it fits.

Comment

Working...
                              X