This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re:

oh god...PLEASE dont make us do it again... Chas are you ready if it comes down to it? wasnt it embarassing enough the first jboss?

Comment

Originally posted by Akira714
      Yeah, but can those cars drift through a series of corners smoothly and at high speeds well?
      I never claimed that they could. Most of the cars I listed could be drifted through a series of turns, smoothy and at high speeds with some talent at the wheel. None of them could do that without using the brakes and throttle.

Takes bait and waits for driftaholic to do his homework assignment---the asigment I outlined in the other thread that no one has yet to produce.........

Comment

Heh you ought to listen to yourselves. You all have this prescribed notion of the perfect drift and if it's not that then it isn't drifting. Once again Jboss is right. Any car can be drifted. Drifting is controlled sliding. Nothing more nothing less. If you think he's full of it, watch Rally racing. Those guys have been drifting forever and a day, in 4wd, rwd and fwd. it's on dirt and pavement but it's the same thing. Flip on the speed channel and watch those guys go around the corners. They drift them. It's not a lock to lock drift but it is a drift none the less. Matter of fact they even call it drifting. Yes you can do a drift without using the brake. The Scandinavian flick came from Rally racing if im not mistaken. Scandinavian flick = inertia drift. Think that's an Initial D term but it's the same thing. Turn the wheel one way real quick then flick it back the other way. No brakes involved. that way you lose no speed to brakes.

Akira714 he didn't say they could be drifted through a set of turns but they probably could. Just wouldn't be the picturesque drift we all want to see. He said they could be drifted.

I hate to tell you all but anything going sideways is drifted. Though it isn't a perfect drift it is drifting one way or another. Thems the facts man.

Comment

Maybe the meaning of drifting needs to be changed.

Why are ALL the competive drift cars FR? I own a FR...but respect FF and MR too. they can be very good on a touge.

Comment

I was arguing the pint where he said that it is just for show and not used in racing.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jboss
              [B]because most of you havent seen it before..........

Anything...ANYTHING.....anything...can be drifted. Dont let some egoistic rear drivers let you think that a car has to be rear drive to drift. I have drifted vans, suvs, toyota tercels, chevy cavaliers, vws, rx7's, subarus, jeeps, oldsmobiles, buicks, soab-box derby cars etc etc etc. They can ALL be drifted.

Drifting plain and simple is sliding sideways------nothing more nothing less----although being able to control the slcontrol weight transfer to different wheels helping to induce a slide/drift BUT, it can usually be done with steering inputs alone in ANY car with TOTALLY STOCK suspension.

Wow man. You sound like a real pro . Lol your like naming all the cars you have drifted. Yea right, thats a gaggle of em. Good luck. And who drifts an oldsmobile? Really?

Comment

I give it up to MR drifters...I've heard it's the hardest style....

Comment

Ive seen a regal with front coilovers drift.

Comment

re:

ok bro you wanted mo to do homework right???

How about a write another essay to school your poseur a$$...
                    sound good?

ok well here it goes...

THE ART OF THE DRIFT
                    Drifting is a sort of controlled loss of control of your car. When you drift, you use the weight and momentum of your car to move it laterally while it is still moving forward. In most cases, drifting is meant to bring the back end of the car around a turn faster than the front, while countersteering with the front wheels to maintain control and proper vehicle attitude. Alternately, a drift will occur when exiting a turn, when your outside tires are overloaded and lose traction, forcing your car toward the edge of the road. This is desirable because you can reach greater turn exit speeds by travelling at or near full throttle, but only if you can regain traction before your car slides off the road. Drifting is a knife-edge sort of driving technique, where you must be smooth and remain in control or else you will either slow the car unnecessarily or spin out.

As opposed to drifting, which is a controlled technique, sliding is a more wild technique with less control. A slide (or powerslide) occurs when all four wheels break traction and simply scrub along the road, accompanied by frenzied screeching sounds. Sliding is, in nearly all cases, slower than drifting for several reasons: First, you have no or very little traction during a slide, eliminating control of your car. When you are sliding, you cannot properly position your car for or during a turn as quickly and easily as you could while drifting. You must first slow your car until you regain traction, then adjust attitude. Secondly, you cannot accelerate as fast from a slide as you can from a drift. In rear-drive cars, properly accelerating from a drift will cause the rear tires to regain traction, providing acceleration. With a slide, you must again slow enough to regain traction before giving the car gas will do any good. The only time sliding is a useful technique is as a last-ditch effort to avoid going off the road or colliding with another object, or, sometimes as an advanced technique for off-road rally racing.

You now have permission to go crawl back under your rock

I'm going to say it just like just like Wu-Tang...
                    BRING THA MUTHA FU@KIN RUCKUS

Comment

Nice

Comment

re:

OwNag3...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Re: re:

Originally posted by driftaholic

THE ART OF THE DRIFT
                          Drifting is a sort of controlled loss of control of your car. When you drift, you use the weight and momentum of your car to move it laterally while it is still moving forward. In most cases, drifting is meant to bring the back end of the car around a turn faster than the front, while countersteering with the front wheels to maintain control and proper vehicle attitude. Alternately, a drift will occur when exiting a turn, when your outside tires are overloaded and lose traction, forcing your car toward the edge of the road. This is desirable because you can reach greater turn exit speeds by travelling at or near full throttle, but only if you can regain traction before your car slides off the road. Drifting is a knife-edge sort of driving technique, where you must be smooth and remain in control or else you will either slow the car unnecessarily or spin out.

As opposed to drifting, which is a controlled technique, sliding is a more wild technique with less control. A slide (or powerslide) occurs when all four wheels break traction and simply scrub along the road, accompanied by frenzied screeching sounds. Sliding is, in nearly all cases, slower than drifting for several reasons: First, you have no or very little traction during a slide, eliminating control of your car. When you are sliding, you cannot properly position your car for or during a turn as quickly and easily as you could while drifting. You must first slow your car until you regain traction, then adjust attitude. Secondly, you cannot accelerate as fast from a slide as you can from a drift. In rear-drive cars, properly accelerating from a drift will cause the rear tires to regain traction, providing acceleration. With a slide, you must again slow enough to regain traction before giving the car gas will do any good. The only time sliding is a useful technique is as a last-ditch effort to avoid going off the road or colliding with another object, or, sometimes as an advanced technique for off-road rally racing.

So, what exactly is the diference again???

Oh yeah:
                          A drift breaks traction and involves sliding....
                          A slide breaks traction and involves losing speed....

Looks like we have come full circle again. You have still not shown any definitive, observable differences. The ONLY difference you point out is that a drift does not involve losing as much speed as a slide.....The problem being that you defined both a slide and a drift as the same thing---breaking traction. If you mean to say that a drift involves breaking traction less than a slide does then you are left with the problem that you are still breaking traction, losing forward momentum, and decreasing the coefficient of friction between your tires and the road reducing lateral grip and forward grip.

So, what is it?
                          Is a drfit a slide or, is a slide a drift?
                          Is it a matter of slip angle?
                          Is it a matter of generating more forward momentum?
                          Is it a matter of 4 vs 2 wheels sliding?

You can not argue a point by tautalogical reasoning!!

I have spent enough time in the company of good teachers to know that you still need to go back to class and work a little harder on your homework assignment.

Get back to me when you figure it out. You are getting close, when your posts started, I would have given you an F-. Now you are moving close to the C range.

And cut out the juvenile OWNED crap. It just makes you look like a 15 year old who can't argue well.
                          Last edited by jboss; 12-02-2003, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Re: Re: re:

Originally posted by jboss
                            a drift involves breaking traction less than a slide does then you are left with the problem that you are still breaking traction,
                            Well, a burnout is a loss of traction but your not moving anywhere.

Comment

Hmmm

Not to point fingers there Driftaholic but you kind of owned your friend Nightwalker on that one. Lets see how.

"to answer your question, a real drift is when the front and rear tires slide at the same time. The car is propelled sideways and moves sideways. Upon entering a corner, you should be sideways, not sideways when you exit. Thats as simple as I can put it. Most people mistake a power slide for drifting. There is a difference."

That is the post that Night walker made. You jumped in to defend him and explain drifting in general, by posting this.

"As opposed to drifting, which is a controlled technique, sliding is a more wild technique with less control. A slide (or powerslide) occurs when all four wheels break traction and simply scrub along the road, accompanied by frenzied screeching sounds"

Thats the textbook definition of a slide.It looks remarkably like the definition Nightwalker gave as a Drift to refute JBoss's "Useless post" But to be sure lets look at what a drift is.

"In most cases, drifting is meant to bring the back end of the car around a turn faster than the front, while countersteering with the front wheels to maintain control and proper vehicle attitude"

So in effect he explained a slide. Not a Drift and in your attempt to defend him, you owned him. But hey who's counting.

And Nightwalker you are wrong per the textbook. Sorry to break it down like that but thinking and researching before you speak is always a great idea. I got burned on that numerous times.

Oh and Lateral movement in a car is sliding. Drifting is controlled sliding. Plain and simple. Whether it's 2 or 4 wheel, it's still sliding.
                              Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 12-03-2003, 12:07 AM.

Comment

re:

lol...i dont even know nightcrawler..lol

ok...
                                a drift is the fastest way through a turn... correct? YES
                                sliding is not a drift... correct? YES
                                Difference between a slide and a drift...
                                Although drifting is having your car sideways through a turn, it is not considered "slliding"...
                                How is this you say?
                                Sliding through a turn involves getting your car sideways through a turn, howver drifting has more to it than that. Drifting is sliding, but in a controlled motion, while maintaining the lines used during racing. The rear end of a car is moving around the turn faster than the rest of the car, therfore maintaining a faster speed during the turn, allowing for a HIGHER exit speed. While sliding, there is no set line for a turn, thus there is no control over the cars cornering speed.
                                So while sliding, you actually lose speed while going through a turn, and drifting you maintain speed while cornering.

Now... time for the one that everyone is going to *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* about...lol
                                Front Wheel Drive Drifts...
                                Although it is possible to drift in a front wheel drive car, it is not as easy, or effective as that of a rear wheel drive vehicles drift.
                                Why is this?
                                FWD means Front wheel Drive... A front wheel drive car means that the car is being pulled while driving, does it not? While cornering at high speed in a front wheel drive car you will realize that there is a significant amount of understeer. If this occurs, it means that the front of the car is cornering faster than the rear of the car. Now drifting... "the rear of the car is cornering faster than the front of the car.." how are you going to fix this problem? Use the E-Brake.. while pulling on the ebrake to induce a slide for the FWD car, you will be slowing down the car, and you will have to maintain balance of the car in order to keep the "drift" going, and that is why it is hard to "drift" a front wheel drive car. Notice i did not say that it was impossible, just very difficult. Lots of people can do it, and they are commended for it. I dont really see the point in it, except that they are making due with what they have.

If there are any comments about my lil fwd drifting section let me know, because i am kinda interested in it..lol dont really pay much attention to it, but it might be a lil fun
                                Last edited by driftaholic; 12-03-2003, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X