This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okay here's my definition of show off drifting: my 2 cents

navigating a series of hairpin turns and chicanes maintaining a constant oversteer condition in one way (left) or another (right).

Comment

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JESUS H. CHRIST!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS!!!

I'm going to copy this post to another thread that I think spawned this post.

I'm going to settle this for once and for all. Guess what, almost everybody is right on this thread, but also a little bit wrong in some way or another.

Once again, you guys are getting wrapped up in technicallities that don't really matter!!!

The key point missing is intention.

Drifting is getting a car sideways through a turn PERIOD!!!!

2 wheeled drifting IS DRIFTING,
      4 wheeled drifting IS DRIFTING,
      Powersliding IS DRIFTING,
      SKIDDING IS DRIFTING!!!

The difference is intent, if you're in a civic and you saw the the drift bible or whatever (god help us), and you go out and crank your ebrake around a turn. And your car's a$$-end comes out, and you punch it, and counter-steer, and exit the corner without losing it; technically, yes you drifted. Come join drifting.com drop nonsense on everyone about your skills.

If a soccer mom is driving home from the grocery store on a rainy day and hits the brakes to dodge a squirrel, and manages to counter-steer and not lose it. But does mange to get the a$$-end to come out and come back, technically she drifted.

BUT THE DIFFERENCE IS INTENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN DRIFT ANY CAR!!!

There are many different ways to "drift", but there are many different styles of drifting as well. To say powersliding isn't drifting is foolish because WTF is a powerover??? To say skidding isn't drifting is foolish as well, because WTF IS A BRAKING DRIFT??
      Just like saying drifting is the fastest way through a turn, WRONG! Depending on the turn, and the speed contest you are engaged in, the amount of velocity needed to maintain your lap speed and time. The fastest way around a course is "slow in, fast out". Watch NASCAR or the 24 hrs. of LeMans, no drifting. Sorry.

Just because you saw some drifting and started imitating it doesn't mean that's the only way to drift. YOUR STYLE OF DRIFT IS GOING TO BE BASED ON YOUR SET UP MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE!!!! ANY PRO DRIFTER WILL TELL YOU THIS!!! If your set up is FF then you'll probably be stuck with just spin-turns with the e brake, feints, and braking drifts, and yes the rest of us will probably make fun of you because it's less advanced. BUT IT'S STILL DRIFTING!!

The difference between the drifting you see the pros do on the videos and at events, and what you may hear people talk about on this forum is their set ups. Guess what, not everyone has the money to set up a dedicated drift car, or government agencies disallow certain things. So what do you do? You improvise, you figure out what it takes to get your car sideways, and you use it. THAT'S DRIFTING!!!!!

STOP SPLITTING HAIRS!!!!! THIS FORUM IS ABOUT SPREADING KNOWLEDGE, AND SHARING IDEAS, NOT "SHUTTING PEOPLE DOWN" OR "SCHOOLING PEOPLE". IT'S BETTER TO AGREE TO DISAGREE THAN TO SPREAD FLAMES, HATE, AND DISCONTENT.
      FOR GODSAKE, ACT YOUR AGE, NOT YOUR HEIGHT IN FEET!!

That's what causes people to not join forums or participate, is everything turns into a pissing contest!!!

That is all, welcome back Sideways.

{Mod stop the madness, please lock this thread}

Comment

post whore!

Comment

people are taking this "drifting" thing to literal. Get it straight idiots, and stop being an a$$ about it. You guys all know what is meant when someone mentions drifting in motorsports. Not your elitist generalized version of "drifiting".

I guess people who don't drive take it from this odd point of view.

Comment

Fer real.. I'm over most of these nerds. TALK TO ME AFTER YOU'VE WRECKED SOMETHING!!!! Wannabe videogame drifters.. [me flipping you all off]

Comment

Im at two cars now, am i hardcore? jk

Comment

Don't get me started on you Chas, we're cool, but you have a lot to learn.

Just sit back and let the grown folks talk, okay.

I got your post whore right here too. [See my fuzzy bean-bag]

Comment

Originally posted by Sideways_In_SD
                  but you have a lot to learn
                  never

Comment

re:

LMAO...wow this is still going on...LMAO!!! wow i thought this would have been deleted by now..HAHAHAHAHHHAHHAHAAHAA

Comment

Talk to me when you have wrecked something? Well I guess that means my sister is a drifter, that black lady that hit me in the rear is a drifter, the tractor trailor driver on I-75 who fell asleep at the wheel on ludes is a drifter. Let's invite them all to the D1 and watch them clean house.

I think you are getting a little too worked up about this.

Comment

Why is this a discussion? Ok, the question is simple. What is a real drift. The answer is just as simple. When you loose traction. Drifting, skidding, sliding, whatever you call it are basically same shite, different wrapping. It all depends on where you are from and how you use the english language.

Most of you guys have a point, but you all seem to forget one thing. There is a motorsport called drifting. Not skidding, and not sliding. It could just as well be called skidding or sliding, but it's not. In the motorsport called drifting, drivers compete using a points system. So a real drift in the motorsport called drifting has to meet the judging criterias for that sport. A real drift in any other situation can be anything that involves loosing traction. Doesn't matter if it's controlled or not.

But, people that are involved in some kind of motorsport tend to use different words to describe different nuances. Drifting is often used to describe a very controlled and even effective way of using the engine power in a rw car to steer (push) the car around a corner. It does not involve loosing traction completely, just helps the car turn and allowing you to apply the power sooner.

In Japan in the mid-eighties, some drivers pushed the limits further, and focused on the car control required to do a controlled drift, rather than the speed itself. There was probably many reasons for this, but mainly I guess it was a result of the fact that some cars are faster than others, so racing would not decide who's the best driver. Exessive drifting on the other hand, would.

When these drivers moved from the mountains to the track, drifting as a motorsport was born. The correct name should probably be show drifting, as the whole point is to put on a show! To do so they use every technique available. They use the e-brake, they do scandinavian flicks, turn-in while braking or lifting off, de-clutching to use either the engine inertia or reving the engine to brake the rear tires loose or power-slide by using the engines power to create wheelspin.

Some of these techniques are possible to do with a fw car, and a fw car can drift quite easily on turn-in and mid corner. It will not be able to accelerate from a corner while maintaining a drift though, and therefor will not be competitive in (show) drifting events.

This is not really hard to understand if you have some experience in real racing, but wannabe street-racers that use terms they're not familiar with will obviously create confusion. And they do...

FSR

Comment

Oh My F U C K E N S H I T!

ADMIN!.. please delete this THREAD Please!

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by CRASHDRIVE
                            Oh My F U C K E N S H I T!

ADMIN!.. please delete this THREAD Please!

Thank you.
                            Why delete? This thread only illustrates that there are a lot of confusion about drifting. Which is natural, as it's a brand new form of motorsport in most countries. If nothing else, reading this thread will make noobs understand that it's not as simple as a cartoon

EDIT: Yeah, I know, I'm a noob myself. But only on the forum, not as a drifter
                            Last edited by fsr; 12-09-2003, 01:43 PM.

Comment

i agree with jboss in that anything can be drifted. a rear-drive drifter can drift faster and that's all. e-brake drifting is used by the pros like taniguchi and tsuchiya all the time. FF drifting isn't as fast or good but neither is FR really. AWD drift is much faster since you have more traction in the direction you want: that's why they use it in WRC... plus my scirocco has a custom AWD drift setup and its unbeatable

Comment

Originally posted by panda_3ight_6
                                honestly you cant do a REAL drift with out RWD... but you can do poweslides and side brake drifts with a FF, just pull the e brake on the entry of the drift and then steer through and viola!... well its not that easy but... you should get the idea...
                                well, ya. i wouldn't really call it drifting. i do "mini-drifts" with my FF accord. or some people would just call it powerslide. nonetheless, it's pretty exciting. i'm also learning how to feint.

Comment

Working...
                                X