How powerfull is ALEX's 86?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crusTE72corolla
    Hey Alex, when you were in houston for FD we talked about some stuff i was thinking about doing to my car. I have been contemplating using an 8.8 rear out of a fox body or SN95 mustang. There are tons of people who make LSDs, gear sets, heavy duty axles etc. for these rears. They are pretty light and small, and they will put up with 1000's of horsepower.

Just an idea.
    you can also find an 8.8 (if i remember correctly) in the S14s. but it is one heavy SOB.

Comment

Hey alex your awesome, but also what do you think the best begginers car would be between a 91 240sx an 88 supra or also of course an 86? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DRIFTER-M
        Hey alex your awesome, but also what do you think the best begginers car would be between a 91 240sx an 88 supra or also of course an 86? Thanks
        i know the question wasnt for me. but its not a hard one. wichever you feel comfortable in.

Comment

i know the question wasnt for me. but its not a hard one. wichever you feel comfortable in.
          yeah thats true that was a very wise answer, I was just wondering from a pros point of view, thats why I ask alex.

Comment

I feel that the 86 is a much better platform to start. Most of them come with a LSD and to upgrade the car, all you need is a few things to start off with. That and the car will beable to do grip as well as drift. The 86 really teaches you how to drive with low hp and use mostly sterring inputs to drift and race.

For the 240's, overall you have more access to parts but you will spend alot more to make it driftable. You absolutly have to buy a LSD (the stock vlsd is not worth the time to put in) and a few suspension mods just to get started. These cars are more comfortable as street/drift cars but the more you build the car, the less able it is to grip. These cars will teach you more throtle control.

My suggestion is to start off with a corolla with basic mods, not only use it for drift but also take it on the track or autoX. Then if you feel ready to spend money on drifting, get a 240 and build it up. They are easier to drive but you will have to spend more to get it that way.

The best thing to do is instead of spending 15k on moding a 240, use that money for payments on a 350Z, stock it is very driftable and forgiving, plus if you break anything, its still covered under warranty and you dont have to worry about things like smog and being harrased by cops. Just my opinion.
            BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

I feel that the 86 is a much better platform to start. Most of them come with a LSD and to upgrade the car, all you need is a few things to start off with. That and the car will beable to do grip as well as drift. The 86 really teaches you how to drive with low hp and use mostly sterring inputs to drift and race.
              thanks Alex its getting hard to find any 86 around here though but I will definently keep looking, the 240sx on the other hand is still kinda easy to find but the price is going up high. But thanks for the answer! You are my favorite driver so the answer meant alot. see ya

Comment

Alex have you thought about using an aluminum quick change dirt track / circle track style rearend? They are built light and strong, with the added plus of being able to change the rearend gear very easily. Pretty much unbolt and switch around the pumpkins with hand tools. You could drive to the track with 3.x's and then switch it to something crazy like 5.x in minutes. It would probably have to be a custom build with custom length axles and guarantee fabrication would be required to get it working in an AE86. But those rearends do work for 3rd gen Camaro's which have similar rear suspension to your AE86, solid axle, spring, shock, and panhard bar (even the rear shocks are interchangable hahaha). I dunno, thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Comment

Yeah, I have looked into it and have talked to a few friends about it. Initial cost would be about 3k for a new one. They usually come with some pretty big brakes on it and not too sure if i like that. The extra gear ratio's are resonably priced and readily available.

Even though everything is light wieght, its still a bit of an overkill, that rear end is made to handle big hp where im still kinda low on that side. That and its more money then im willing to spend on my car. If i start spending that kinda money, i should be buiding my sc300.
                  BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

awsome, a pro drifting an sc awsome

Comment

Working...
                    X