No announcement yet.

Benson Hsu Interview!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since you work with KAAZ, can we ask some differential quesiontions?

Two way diffs, why do you have to accelerate in turns to get oversteer rather than understeer? I'm not exactly sure about the mechanics of it all.

Do you use 1.5 or 2.0? And why do you use it?

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by SilviaLove
      Hsu,
      How did you learn about drifting and what possessed you to go out and learn it? Also, what was your first experience trying to drift, any accidents or midnight sessions?

Oh yeah, i agree on with the comment of your taste in girls, she's photogentic and a dork - score.
      I think I learned about drifting the same way everybody else has... through Japanese magazines and videos - only, back then, the magazines and videos were harder to find, and if you wanted to talk to somebody about drifting back then, you couldn't because nobody knew about it.

My friends and I did a lot of touge driving and road racing back then and I remember plenty of times when Andy Yen and I would call each other because we got the new Option video or something. We were big fans of the D1 drivers you see today like Imamura, Koguchi, Nomuken... watching them made us want to do it too. So that's what we did... we went out and did it. We sucked REALLY badly and there were plenty of close calls and plenty of times we hit a curb, guard rails, mountain walls. Mind you, this is when we didn't have instructors or sanctioned events!! This is totally the worst way you can learn... it took us a long time and we didn't know what we were doing... I remember us saying outrageous things like our drifts weren't working because or damper settings were wrong. Hahaha... those days were fun.

Comment

Wow,
        you started learning on the touge?!
        Jesus man, lol. I started learning in a gravel parking lot :P

Comment

HAHAHA Harte you silly boy.

Comment

Originally posted by yarzan
            um... what does the D1 license look like? could u post a pic?
            it's funny... i don't think they give you a physical license. it's just kind of a status thing that they "keep track of".

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
              Benson - do you like Nesquik or Ovaltine better when it comes to powdered chocolate drinks.
              i prefer to make my chocolate milk by shaving ghiradelli chocolate bars.

no i dont.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
                Since you work with KAAZ, can we ask some differential quesiontions?

Two way diffs, why do you have to accelerate in turns to get oversteer rather than understeer? I'm not exactly sure about the mechanics of it all.

Do you use 1.5 or 2.0? And why do you use it?

Matt.
                That's not true about having to accelerate into turns to get oversteer. It is probably the way you are approaching the corner... I can induce oversteer using throttle, using brakes, or just by turning the steering wheel (weight transfer). You might be relying too much on the car's power to induce the drift. Try shifting the weight of the car more abruptly at the point you are trying to initiate...

I use the 2.0 way in my sileighty and in the KAAZ car. Currently, I like the 2 way because I like how agressive the LSD locks while I'm on the throttle and off... I'm considering trying a 1.5 way sometime in the future to see how much I like it, but currently, the 2 way suits me just fine!

Comment

Originally posted by rwd polak
                  Wow,
                  you started learning on the touge?!
                  Jesus man, lol. I started learning in a gravel parking lot :P
                  I learned in empty lots too! But they didn't help much. You need points of reference when you're learning to drift... so a course that is set up specifically for drifting is best!

Comment

is drifting magazine ever gonna come back out? If so, are you plannin on doing another article with'em?

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis
                      is drifting magazine ever gonna come back out? If so, are you plannin on doing another article with'em?
                      Ed Loh is my good buddy, and I'd love to get involved with it. I'm all for spreading the drifting knowledge! I don't know if they'll ever come out with another one, though. As far as I know, there are no plans.

Comment

2 way..

i noticed the two lsd locks very hard compared to my 1.5 way it seems to just grab the gears and not lt go.. is this beause i nee my lsd overhauled or jus because it a 1.5 way?
                        thanx
                        Riley

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean Hsu,
                          I set up cones and whatnot, really helps!

And Drifting magazine? Will it come back out?! Uh, maybe I'm seeing things, but I just traveled to Poland, and I bought a magazine called DRIFTING, and I guess it's made by GT? It has a s14 on the front, and it's loaded with cool stuff!

Comment

its a different drifting magazine, one her ein the states, it had the RS-R z33 on the front of it....it was ok, not too shabby imo...it would be nice if they came out with more though...ed loh roxors my soxors...goofy mofo...how's his sr powered 240 comin along?

Comment

Thanks DK!
                              i assume you probably won't post here again.
                              haha.

Comment

since we're askin ben some questions. i got one.

have you heard of drifters from hawaii? i believe ross petty and steve oliberos is up there. ross is a bad *Censored**Censored**Censored*. i met both of them a couple of times.

and how are they doing now? i recently got 2nd place at the last event. and im lookin for sponsors since i beat out allot of sponsored guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X