No announcement yet.

World Drift Championships (WDC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignorant. If you want drifting to grow, start up one program that everyone can join. That would mean that this group gets really big, in turn, more events, and better stuff. If we have a lot of small groups, drifting will never go anywhere. We need everyone to join together.

I think the SCCA is a GREAT thing. They hold autocross events in almost every state. They can do that for drifting to. But how is it going to flow smoothly if we have everyone in different sanctioning bodies?

Comment

Re: WDC

Originally posted by REBEL-D
      Seems like there is alot happening in 2004 for drifting!

Is anyone on this forum plan on competing in any events or is it all just for fun like me
      ME!!!! hope to see you there i'll be the suckiest one.. But i dont care, because I competed, while everybody is on the sideline! ha ha!

Comment

Okay people.. I've been thinking about this IDEA for a long time (this might apply only in LA county and San Diego County).

I have a contact to rent out part of QUALCOMM Stadium. SCCA members and the PORCHE club meets every other sunday and race all over QUALCOMM statdium (also, street legal racing.com) I would like to form a SANCTION area for all LA and SD drifters (just being realistic, to all those outside california you're welcome to join). But the BIGGEST concern is the $$$ we need some donations or form some kind of CLUB here in SAN DIEGO that has Monthly fees (or Yearly fees). This way we can use that money to rent out QUALCOMM stadium and show to the public that this will be a safe sport and not drifting in the streets.

NOTE: if you like the idea, I will make another THREAD and lets see who would like to form this, and start a casual dinner meeting and ellaborate more of this.

THANK YOU.

Comment

Ignorant. If you want drifting to grow, start up one program that everyone can join. That would mean that this group gets really big, in turn, more events, and better stuff. If we have a lot of small groups, drifting will never go anywhere. We need everyone to join together.
          One programe for everyone to join would be great but we are no were near that right now. The resorses need would be too great. We are nothing more than a scattered bunch of rebels who call our selves drifters who judging by this board can't even agree on what drifting is for christ sake! and besides who is actually drifting and where? Why are we not seeing more pictures and videos, there are aparently thousands of subscribers to this site.

Drifting is with out a doubt in it's infancy and it needs local enthusiasts to take a stand and say this is our sport - not SCCA,s not NHRA not IDRC we need our own identity we need to start our own small orgs accross the country catering to the drifters needs at local levels. Then one day all these orgs accross America and the world can merg and become one.

think the SCCA is a GREAT thing. They hold autocross events in almost every state. They can do that for drifting to. But how is it going to flow smoothly if we have everyone in different sanctioning bodies?
          I think the SCCA could be good thing too but do you think they have me the you the drifters best interest at heart. I would rather see the SCDCA (Sports Car Drift Club of America). SCCA is not into drifting because they love it? They want to be a part of it for one reason only.. I have never gone to an SCCA nor a NHRA event and probably never will. I have been to many drift events from as far back as almost three years ago starting with SpeedTrailUSA and other drift enthusiasts who put on drift days at tracks and secure parking lots.

If we are not careful dirfting will loose any identity that is developing as we will be engulfed by a large corporate entity who bought us because we sold out. I can happen and it will happen.

Comment

You have to remember that SCCA is a part of drifting for sanctioning reasons, not profit. They are not even in charge of the events. For those of you that dont recall SCCA sanctioned D1 Grand Prix this last August to the benefit of D1. They made big safety portions and insurance issues easy for them. SCCa will probably sanction D1 again as well. SCCA simply provides the tech, safety and know-how of how to compete in a car and whatever the use of that car is inregards to racing. Whether it be for road racing, rallying or drifting for that matter is not significant. Additionally SCCA will license each driver who competes in the event so that hey get to reap the benefits of the SCCA organization. Some of thise things include insurance and the opportunity to race in other parts of that organization. It is important to note that SCCA reaps no financial benefits from their involvement in drifting. Their interest is helping create new, talented drivers that may one day have an interest in competing at different levels of racing. Perhaps some drifters would like to try their hand at World Challenge or SCCA Pro Rally. This gives drivers an open door right off the bat to do that if they so please.

SCCA has a history of sanctioning a ton of different events. CART even utilizes SCCA corner workers for their events, so this is nothing new.

Comment

[]
              I think the SCCA could be good thing too but do you think they have me an you the drifters best interest at heart. I would rather see the SCDCA (Sports Car Drift Club of America). SCCA is not into drifting because they love it? They want to be a part of it for one reason only.. I have never gone to an SCCA nor a NHRA event and probably never will. I have been to many drift events from as far back as almost three years ago starting with SpeedTrailUSA and other drift enthusiasts who put on drift days at tracks and secure parking lots.
              A very good point from Rebel-D

You have to remember that SCCA is a part of drifting for sanctioning reasons, not profit.
              You mean you don't have to pay them a dime to sanction your events? Are they not providing a service, you say you get that for free???? Why is my friend paying money to SCCA everytime he goes to an autocross event?

They are not even in charge of the events. For those of you that dont recall SCCA sanctioned D1 Grand Prix this last August to the benefit of D1.
              I heard that some American drivers even though they qualified SCCA did not let them compete in D1 because of SCCA rules now applied? So who is in charge?

It is important to note that SCCA reaps no financial benefits from their involvement in drifting.
              OK this is the second time you stated this.

Additionally SCCA will license each driver who competes in the event so that hey get to reap the benefits of the SCCA organization.
              So is this were SCCA intends to make money from drifters, to get a license from SCCA isn't free also is it? Why do we need a SCCA license?

Perhaps some drifters would like to try their hand at World Challenge or SCCA Pro Rally. This gives drivers an open door right off the bat to do that if they so please.
              So by saying this you are implying it's not an open door policy with the SCCA right now for any who wants to get involved on world challenge or rallying? We can't get involved in SCCA and get lisenced and compete in their events unless they are involved in our sport?

I am really confused about your post and the reasons SCCA is getting involved in our sport. Alot of people from what I have heard just on this message board alone don't like how strict SCCA is.

I am not sure if I belive you when you stated the SCCA will not make any money from drifting in any way which is what you specifically said several times now.

Drifting is not racing, the winner is determined by judges and not by who has crossed the checkered flag first.

I have to agree with Rebel-D in that I would like to see drifting have it's own organisation with our own rules. This is our sport and I don't like it when someone crashes it because its blowing up and says "hey we don't want anything from you - we just wanna help, for free". As much as I'm not into drag racing the import scene at least got thier Sh*t together and had their own organizations for their sport. I say keep it true-keep it sidewayz.

Comment

Why dont we just start one big group? It is easier because say like, you live in Montana, and there a few drifters. You do not have enoughe power to start your own group, but buy joining a big group, the can help you resource things you need? See how that works? I say with stay with one Pro(D1) and one Am (F-D)

Comment

You're an idiot xler. Are you from WDC trying to talk trash to hype up your (keeping it real, keep it true) events? Seems like it. Its pretty lame how the thread looks like you posted something as WDC and backed up your post using xler with your lame *Censored**Censored**Censored* comments. People don't talk like that.

Hey why don't you keep the forums to the drift enthusiasts and take that political horsecrap out of here.

Comment

im not cutting in and being peacemaker here.
                    but why doesn't everyone calm down and take a breath.

the wdc is starting a good idea. i second it. whether it works or not, in my opinion it's still a good idea.

everyone has their own opinions..they only way ANY sort of group, big or small, or whatever, will work..is if you all start RESPECTING each others opinions. that doesn't mean you have to agree. please stop bagging on chas..he's only stating his opinion.

cmon guys, we're all in here for "one reason only"..that's cuz we all love drifting right? don't turn this into some unpleasant. have fun while you still can before you turn like 80 or something and can't operate a car anymore without crashing it into shopping malls and runnin over people. loosen up yall, it aint so bad!!

Comment

haha

wow drifting is gonna be liek wrestling with WWF WCW and all that other boosquash

whateva ima drift not matter what :]

Comment

quote:
                        So by saying this you are implying it's not an open door policy with the SCCA right now for any who wants to get involved on world challenge or rallying? We can't get involved in SCCA and get lisenced and compete in their events unless they are involved in our sport?

Response: No not at all. All it means is that if anyone wants to explore other racing ventures they can. Sometimes it's hard to know where to start. There is no obligation. Just that someone can get licensed by competing in one of the Formula D events. Real simple. Do as you please with the license.

I am really confused about your post and the reasons SCCA is getting involved in our sport. Alot of people from what I have heard just on this message board alone don't like how strict SCCA is.

Response: For the nature of drifting SCCA rules dont apply here. They do not dictate and have no influence on event structure. Safety and insurance is their deal. Whether you purchase insurance from a carrier or them is up to the promotor. I think it makes sense to do it from someone with race experience. Yes, I know drifting is not racing like you stated before, but it is in cars and can be dangerous.

I am not sure if I belive you when you stated the SCCA will not make any money from drifting in any way which is what you specifically said several times now.

Response: Insurance isn't free

Drifting is not racing, the winner is determined by judges and not by who has crossed the checkered flag first.

Response: I dont think anyone would disagree

I have to agree with Rebel-D in that I would like to see drifting have it's own organisation with our own rules. This is our sport and I don't like it when someone crashes it because its blowing up and says "hey we don't want anything from you - we just wanna help, for free". As much as I'm not into drag racing the import scene at least got thier Sh*t together and had their own organizations for their sport. I say keep it true-keep it sidewayz
                        It just makes it easier for drifters, if they would like, to explore different tyoes. Sometimes people dont know where to start

Response: I like the idea of SCDCA. I think that is great idea.

Im not sure what your issue with SCCA is. I hope I have cleared things up for you. SCCA is not a bad thing for drifting at all. They are not changing the game or telling anyone what to do. SCCA has absolutely no bearing on how drifting events will be run. They provide a safety service and have their hand open if anyone want sto look at what they do. That's it. What group you are form im not sure, but I thought "keep it sideways" was WDC's coined phrase. If that is the case im not sure I understand where you are coming from knowing that your materials for your event state that you are trying to run competitions at SCCA races. Furthermore these events are run by Slipstream with a "thumbs up" from the D1 folks. So if anyone enjoyed D1 you can expect the same energy being put into these events. Im not sure what is to complain about.

Comment

I have a few questions regarding any sacntioning body. These are all related to safety.

1. How does the SCCA or any governing body determin the cars safety aspects. What are the tech rules for cars competing in any of these events.

My self and all the people here ar concerned with safety but how strict are these rules going to be.

2. Who will determine what is allowed and what isnt in regards to the cars fittnes for competition.

Will this be determined by the same rules that are used in D1, or some other motorsport program. Drifting is a sport and there are many venues to choose from right now, each has a different set of rules regarding safety. I would hate to see some of the good drivers from different santioned bodies be banned for safety in others.

What I am asking is will the safety concerns for the cars be uniform threwout the different sanctioning bodys.

Comment

That's a really good question. In this instance most cars in D1 would be fine. Most of the safety regulations are based on what has loosely been put out by D1. It will be real simple:

Seatbelt harness, seats, fire suit, helmet and roll cage. Really it covers the basics. I really do not see anyone not being able to compete because they do not qualify in these catergories. Most guys are already doing everything very safe

Just making sure they are installed properly. In your case you guys are perfect.

You make a great point about regulations being uniform across the board. That would be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D
                              That's a really good question. In this instance most cars in D1 would be fine. Most of the safety regulations are based on what has loosely been put out by D1. It will be real simple:

Seatbelt harness, seats, fire suit, helmet and roll cage. Really it covers the basics. I really do not see anyone not being able to compete because they do not qualify in these catergories. Most guys are already doing everything very safe

Just making sure they are installed properly. In your case you guys are perfect.

You make a great point about regulations being uniform across the board. That would be awesome!
                              Some organizations require a welded cage and have very specific rules to where and how it mounts to the chassis. I know most of the cars from Japan use a bolt in cage will this be allowed as well.

Comment

Originally posted by xler8
                                []
                                Half of your info is wrong. Im not saying that WDC is bad, im saying to many groups is gonna make it hard to keep organized. BTW Scca is non-profit.

www.scca.org

Comment

Working...
                                X