No announcement yet.

World Drift Championships (WDC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not sure what your issue with SCCA is. I hope I have cleared things up for you. SCCA is not a bad thing for drifting at all. They are not changing the game or telling anyone what to do. SCCA has absolutely no bearing on how drifting events will be run. They provide a safety service and have their hand open if anyone want sto look at what they do. That's it. What group you are form im not sure, but I thought "keep it sideways" was WDC's coined phrase. If that is the case im not sure I understand where you are coming from knowing that your materials for your event state that you are trying to run competitions at SCCA races. Furthermore these events are run by Slipstream with a "thumbs up" from the D1 folks. So if anyone enjoyed D1 you can expect the same energy being put into these events. Im not sure what is to complain about.
    I just had many questions that's all and thaks for answering them. I still would like to see a stand alone drift organisation but if SCCA make drifting accessable to more people at affordable prices than great for us. Right now it's late night through the streets and industrial areas still.

WDC may have coined the phrase "keep it sideways" but I stole it!!!

You're an idiot xler. Are you from WDC trying to talk trash to hype up your (keeping it real, keep it true) events? Seems like it. Its pretty lame how the thread looks like you posted something as WDC and backed up your post using xler with your lame *Censored**Censored**Censored* comments. People don't talk like that.
    I showed you no disrespect DriftSpec and I have no affiliation to anything but my car, so why the personal attack? I don't appreciate being called an idiot and I was not talking trash. I think maturity would be a good thing here? This message board is a place for questions is it not?

Comment

Some organizations require a welded cage and have very specific rules to where and how it mounts to the chassis. I know most of the cars from Japan use a bolt in cage will this be allowed as well.

As of now bolt-in is fine. Since the series does not start until April there will be plenty of time for driver sto make adjustments if needed. Our thoguht is to keep it simple and easy so you guys dont have to go out of your way at all.

Comment

I am sorry to bring this up but there is some stuff that is crap going on here.

The SCCA has two seperate groups. The club which is the base of the SCCA and that is a non-profit group. And then you have SCCA Pro which is the side behind World Challenge and all that and they ARE a profit group. However the two are one in the same. here is my issue and I respect the Slipstream guys for getting involved and doing their thing but the SCCA is doing this for the CASH. Formula D is running under Pro because the club rules will not sanction drift so Pro is covering it. Also if the SCCA is not doing it for money why were they at PRI last week selling it? Not selling sponsorship but selling the fact that they are now doing drift and trying to get the import type companies to come on board.

Now this is all fine in my mind htis is business and you have to make money to keep going. I have a problem with guys claiming that this is not money driven and that the SCCA is just doing it to be cool.

I have a magazine from a year ago where the Pres. of the SCCA stated that the club had no interest in drift. So what changed? The fact that there is money involved. The SCCA has struggled to reach the import market and this is their way in. What is said is they had to go and team up with a group of enthusiasts because no one on the inside cared less or is a drifter.

Comment

SCCA may be out selling their involvement in drifting. What is wrong with that? From their vantage point the more exposure they can get the more opportunities they have to show up and coming drivers their product. I can assure you (whether you believe it or not is up to you) that SCCA is not looking at drifting as a huge money making opportunity. Their role is one of facilitation. Slipstream approached them for the service, not the other way around.

As far as import companies being involved, that is given. Most of the companies sponsoring FD are the same that were past sponsors of D1. FD doesn't need the help of SCCA to secure sponsors. I can't stress it enough that the event series is not SCCA's. They have no vested interest in the series other than they hope that the series goes well and their brand is more visible to the participants in the market. They facilitate safety guidlines. If they are doing it for the cash, tell me where they plan on getting it from.

Comment

In your first post you said the SCCA is not in this for profit. Now you are saying what is wrong with making a profit on it.

Here is my BIG issue with this. The president of the SCCA one year ago said that drifting was not an interest to the SCCA and that drifting was not a club type of activity. He basiclly slammed drift daying that it was not what the SCCA was into and they are into everything short of drag racing. So now a year latter they are all about drift, the reason is because the SCCA has NEVER hit the import and youth market and they see this as their chance to do so and they see that all these companies that have never had interest in the SCCA might now that they are into drift. Again I don't have a problem with anyone making money that is why we are in business. What I have a problem with is the SCCA damming drift and now because it's big they are into it.

The SCCA contacted and held meetings with many of the guys already involved in doing drift events trying to hire them. I figured you guys were one of those. If not, I am sorry, but they did go shopping and were turned down by everyone else. If the deal works for you, cool. but in the end you are just the tool for the SCCA to hit our scene.

Comment

here's my thoughts on why there's so much interest in drifting...

the SCCA and other racing sanctioning bodies are finally looking into drifting because they see it as a bridge to get all the kids into road racing...they need to get the youth movement to embrace road racing or else it's going to drop to a level where they will no longer be able to make a living doing what they do.

whether drifting enthusiast will embrace road racing is up for debate since it costs hell of a lot more to participate in most road racing series even at the club level than in a drifting series.

Of course these organizations have approached those individuals who are heavily involved in drifting to come on board and run their programs. Why? Because they have absolutely NO credibility in the drifting community.

Only time will tell what will become of drifting, in the meantime drift on and support those who have always done it for the love of the sport.

Comment

Working...
              X