super cool! S2K engine in RX-7!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super cool! S2K engine in RX-7!!!

Hey shimos, let me know if it's okay to post this. I just wanted to share because its damn super cool. read more at:
    http://www.driftsession.com/articles.../kenmaeda2.htm
    BY THE WAY, THIS SWAP WAS DONE IN HAWAII BY VERY TALANTED INDIVIDUALS.

LOOK KEN MAEDA OF UP GARAGE (PILOT OF THE CAR)
    Last edited by borodori; 10-01-2004, 01:20 PM.

Interesting engine swap. Unfortunately I have not had the chance yet to ride in an S2000 to get an accurate gauge of how the engine performs. But definitely props for ingenuity.

Comment

Everyone is putting that engine in something. First was the AE86 then this rx7 wonder if there is an S13 with this swap. The AE86 kept the lcd tach of the S2000. I wish he did on this. I want one for my s13.

Comment

well at least the car wont have engine problems anymore

Comment

that thing would never have engine problems. its probably pretty quick too. the S2000 engine is the best on HP per liter. i think its like 112 or something (per liter that is). im probably off by a little but that is really amazing for a little 4 cylinder 2.0 <8- ) but not even close my my car which either has 110 HP or 98. i need to find out what half of 77 is it. i had to edit right after i posted because that is my car completely. the S2000 engine has 200+ oh and the S2000 redline used to be at 9,000 but now its back at eight.

Comment

THESE GUYS ARE REALLY I D I O T S BECAUSE A RX-7 ENGINE IS BETTER THAN A SK2 ITS NOT A BAD THING EXPERIMENT WHIT CARS BUT RX-7 ENGINE ITS BETTER

Comment

Originally posted by supermodellista
              THESE GUYS ARE REALLY I D I O T S BECAUSE A RX-7 ENGINE IS BETTER THAN A SK2 ITS NOT A BAD THING EXPERIMENT WHIT CARS BUT RX-7 ENGINE ITS BETTER
              pretty obvious you have never owned an rx-7. and id like to see you swap out your shoelaces let alone the powerplant of a car.

Comment

Originally posted by Coiloverkid
                well at least the car wont have engine problems anymore
                Hehe, so true. That is really the only engine I could see as ok to put in the RX7. Except for a really lightweight V8 that could be mounted really far back....
                Last edited by MarshallMX5; 10-01-2004, 05:47 PM.

Comment

the rotary engine is well known for its capability to bounce off the redline but it is also known for the apex seals going bad..hence lost of power..so the F20 powerplant from honda is not a bad choice at all..Pretty neat..reminds me of a transplant in the battle at 10k rpm best motoring dvd that has a hachiroku with a s2k engine in it..it was a coupe but it looked sweet though..

Comment

poor fc, dont worry someone will take that vtec outta you one day and put your rightful heart back in. i truthfully dont udnerstand why people think rotaries are soo bad. half or 3/4s of the people here havent even prolly owned a rotary powered car. all they do is hear about how unreliable they are, but the thing is why would people buy them if they were so god damn unrelibale ? the only thing about rotaries is you cant just put them in and forget them, you have to pay attention people and to me that just puts more emphasis because you are alot closer than your car. this isnt a freakin one of those infomercial cookers, you cant set it and forget. Damn

sorry just had to vent. its no longer an rx7 as rx=rotary experimnetal, its just a 7 now. get it right . im not saying all cars wiht out rotaries are bad, i just dont understand why?

Comment

Ive heard of and seen many long lasting older NA RX7s, but the 13B-REW seems like a really finnicky engine. All the ones I have seen in classifieds or on forums or right here (Ghost of Duluth's car) all seem to have lots of troubles. Or at the local autoxs the FD always has to have the hood open and the intercooler sprayed between runs. Even when other turbo cars like GTIs and STis are fine.

I just realized that the car above is an FC, so I guess my argument isn't really fitting to this thread.

Comment

i have no idea where your looking, but the ones ive seen are in amazing shape after an auto x race. maybe they arent setup correctly yet with cooling ya know, maybe thier setup isnt quite ready for thier driving level yet. some of the more well built cars keep going and going like asamotos car which had an engine fire, but after they brought it back to the pits, you saw him back ou tthier.

fcs are even simpler than fds cuz they dont have as much vacum lines and the sequntial turbos etc etc. just dont judge your finds on local cars. you shouldnt judge your finds on stis vrs rx7s seeing as stis are almost brand new and you dont kno whow much power they have. thiers alotta factors to rotaries, maybe they are just doing all that to keep the car cool even if it isnt suffering a problem.

i personally owned an fd for a while and never ever had problems wiht the car, and i pusehd it to the limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallMX5
                          Hehe, so true. That is really the only engine I could see as ok to put in the RX7. Except for a really lightweight V8 that could be mounted really far back....
                          I'm a fan of the LS1 into the FC's
                          but hey, what ever fits, is cheap, and gives you the desired power, go for it
                          Last edited by my 1 88 u; 10-01-2004, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Re: super cool! S2K engine in RX-7!!!

Originally posted by borodori
                            Hey shimos, let me know if it's okay to post this. I just wanted to share because its damn super cool. read more at:
                            http://www.driftsession.com/articles.../kenmaeda2.htm
                            BY THE WAY, THIS SWAP WAS DONE IN HAWAII BY VERY TALANTED INDIVIDUALS.

LOOK KEN MAEDA OF UP GARAGE (PILOT OF THE CAR)

No problem posting that up, I'm glad someone took an interest into our friends' car.

Just for everyone's info:

The car is a 1988 Mazda RX7
                            The engine is the F20c Honda S2000 motor
                            Suspension is Kei Office front coilovers and Sportcraft rears
                            Tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's
                            The vehicle will soon be outfitted with a supercharger and nitrous oxide system for additional power.

The car was built entirely in Hawaii by Sportcraft Racing (Chad Lau and Kell Komatsubara) for use in Drift Session events and the USA D1 Grand Prix.

Chad Lau was the primary builder of the vehicle. He did all of the welding, most of the suspension fabrication, engine swap, wiring, body work, and painting. He will also be the main driver of the car in Hawaii. Chad Lau also just turned 17 years old.

Kell Komatsubara is a master racecraft builder / fabricator but stepped back to act as an advisor for this project so Chad could do most of the work himself.

The vehicle chassis and suspension tuning were conducted by Maeda Ken at the Drift Session. With any luck, Maeda will be driving this vehicle in next year's USA D1 Grand Prix.

Comment

Yea, good job. I hate the 13brew's. They suck the big ones. The only problem that I would have putting the S2000 engine into my FD is that it would be underpowered. I am used to 340 whp and to get that out of the S2000 engine would cost more than just putting an LS1 engine in it.

I think that is an awesome swap you guys did. As for the car not being an RX anymore, I took the RX part of my emblem off a year ago. Just says 7 now. Besides, if they are still experimenting after all these years then pooh oh them. So nanny nanny boo boo

I have the Rotary and look where my car sits.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X