No announcement yet.

Best tuners/performance brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Now, guys who run in SCCA GT3 solved this problem years ago by clipping their 240SX's and grafting on custom front ends (usually from Huffaker or Kryderacing or other such chassis shops) that had short control arms whose pick-up points were further apart. This leads to well-damped suspensions that don't require ultra-stiff coilovers, ridiculous amounts of camber, or massively thick and heavy sway-bars in order to prevent the 240SX's natural understeer."

For many racing aplications, especially drifting, such frame modification is against the rules. Just like the rule that made rotaries illegal in Le Mans (however it is spelled) and is going to make all WRC cars have to be N/A, transverse mounted engines next season..

Can this front end be manufactured and shipped efficiently as ultra-stiff suspension, especially overseas? No. It is a custom front end, yes, made by someone else, but made to order. There simply isn't a market for it there to send here. I never once said that you CAN'T improve it, I just said there is no reason for someone to go manufacturing such stuff in Japan. It is not even manufactured here it is custom order.

There are probably custom shops that will make you whatever you want for a car just as there are here I don't know because I have never looked for any. But they don't need to send anything here. That would be like Huffaker or Kryderacing shipping their stuff to Japan. For cost reasons it makes no sence.

I NEVER said anything about US or Japan building better cars nor having better drivers. I also never said all American cars are bohemeth non-corering cars either. You are like my neighbor with the Z06 Vette that told me I was a "little punk kid" with a "piece of *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* Japanese car" that "doesn't require any thought to modify." and all I did was work on my car in my driveway. You guys get all defensive anytime anything is said or done that could possibly be percieved to be-little your penis size. I am not in a pissing contest with you simply telling you that there is not a reason for anyone to market a custom part in Japan and send it here.

Bottom line is making and selling ANYTHING wether it be toothpaste, car parts, or flatulance fighting pills, if there is not market for it, there is no reason to make it. If there is a custom shop, they are there to do cutsom work, usually for pretty much anything you bring them. They are in the business of custom work. Someone found a way to fight understeer on an S13 that better fits their aplication than an ultra stiff suspension, good for them. Then either the custom shop that figured it out created the front end, or the guy that figured it out brought them a design. Word spreads, more are made, the need is there, people make it.

I have an S13 and as for my specific aplication, I for one like wheel poping ultra stiff suspension. I like to drift, tire wear and understeer are not problems for me. Drifting IS destrying tires and Drifting IS all about controling understeer, you need some to control it (yes, I know what understeer is and to about 90-95% of you that is going to sound like a stupid statement, flame all you want). I don't do SCCA GT class because it is too expencive, if I did, I would probably be rich enough to buy a few supplies and build my own front end taking what other people have learned and add that to my knowlege base, or if I were lazy go buy one and graft it on.

I give you props for either being extreemly knowlegable on US market and racing facts or being an internet badass that did a lot of research for this argument. But don't say that because no one ships it here they don't make custom frame parts in Japan for high up racing aplication. For one this thread stared with mostly manufactured shelf bought products from companies, some of which probably make custom parts if someone were to inquire about such parts at their shop. But if you e-mail or call RE-Ameniya and ask a shop to custom make you an Rx-7 front end and ship it to you. I'd give you a dollar, if I weren't so poor, if you didn't get laughed at. Go there with an Rx-7 and they will probably custom make you what you want if you are willing to pay for it. Same goes for a decent amount of tuners mentioned earlier. It is too bad we are both arguing two different arguments or this might be a good argument.
    Last edited by LOVMUFN; 10-06-2004, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Octagon

Don't even DREAM of trying to say that Japan has produced superior circuit racers than America.
      I've never said the j drivers were good. However the last American F1 driver was Michael Andretti. US drivers have not played a significant role in the last 20years in F1. There are a lot of drivers on that list, however most of them drove 3 races max. Probably Watkins Glen, Long Beach, and Indy.

In Japan where F1 drivers, current and ex, continue to be the main feature in TV commercials, and a place where Senna is idolized, I would still say that circuit racing is more popular there. When's the last time you saw Jean Alesi in a US tv commercial? In the US, it's all about Ovals, and drag racing. I have NEVER stated that Japan is superior in any way. Read what i write more carefully.
      Last edited by swifty949; 10-06-2004, 10:24 AM.

Comment

NISUMO! and hks, gotta hand it to em for the fastest awd

Comment

define fastest.

Comment

he's referring to the fastest AWD time at Tskuba circuit.

Comment

"ooooooooo ahhhhh"

Yea, nice try. Fastest around tsukuba doesn't mean much when you put it against the rest of the world.

Comment

comparing to the fastest cars of the world??? How the hell do you compare with all the variables involved ranging from driver to course layout, and car set up.
                He's also talking about the parts company, HKS. They do have a solid reputation for quality parts, and yes they build damn nice cars.

Comment

They've also made the fastest AWD drag racer, and that's an R33 Skyline GT-R.

Comment

As much as you don't want to believe it, in Tsukuba that car is a big fish in a small pond. It would have to be the fastest in (or over) quite a few more ponds before it could claim the title of "fastest AWD". As far as fastest 1/4 mile...the only numbers I could get on that car put it at high 7's. Like 7.98, to be exact.

More info, please.

Comment

Im not good on researching online...however i did ask Kawasaki (he drove our skyline as well) and he said it was 7.7_ something, done at Sendai

Comment

rotora also a great NEW company

Comment

Hey Octagon I have a '69 MGB GT, too. restoration in progress

Last edited by 300zxttfreak; 10-09-2004, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Heh, dual SU's. What a nightmare.

And LovMufn, I give you credit too for holding up well. It was fun debating the point with you. No harm no foul.

Comment

The pics are form the summer,the motor and trans are out, cleaned. All that is pretty much left is paint, interior, and reassembly. It should be done close to christmas so Ill have pics then.

Comment

whoa...this thread has gotten waaaaaay off topic...

Comment

Working...
                                X