ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are most drifters work as mechanic full time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are most drifters work as mechanic full time?

are most drifters work as mechanic full time?.. because i was wondering my self that it would be kind of expansive to pay the mecha each time u wanna change something...so if you do it your self and u dont work as full time job...where and how did u learn all the stuff ?

thanks

nothing teaches you better then being poor and breaking parts.
    the way I learned about cars was when I bought my first one she was a lil beat up and I couldnt afford to go to a shop to get it fixed so I just started messing around.

Comment

oh hell no, i just mess around, i learn things from real mechanics. but i know my stuff cuz of expericence, oh yeah, and im a firefighter, so of course i cant full time. theres too many drifters for them to be all full time mechanics.

Comment

Most drifters arent mechanics, but most of them know alot about cars, and can do their work themselfs. Its part of knowing your car. People who go and have mechanics do all the work to their cars are wannabes, and are usually ricers.

Comment

my friends who are drifters are college students so they are nowwhere near a pro mechanic. But they know there stuff. If anything happens to their car, they fix it. and if they cant, they call a garage and ask how to fix it.

Comment

Just messing with parts, reading books, and bugging friends. I used to work as a weekend mechanic but most of the work wasn't exactly difficult. Plus being a mechanic alot of the times, doesn't pay for drifting and all the bills.

Comment

To tell you guys the truth, it hasn't been a lot of times when I was making something connected with car's mechanics. One of the few things I did was de-mounting and mounting a top mount intercooler back (had to get to the valve cover - I also had to do compression tests and check the plugs, plug wires and the inside of the engine - the plug's tip was broken, and that was in a redtop SR20DET) and plumbing a new catback exhaust to the car. I was also changing the fuel level sensor in my dad's car's fuel tank - that was quite a stinky work (altough I like the way that gas smells it was too much for me - I turned green after some time). It's not a lot, but hey, I'm still young and have lots of things to learn about
              Last edited by Darkstar; 10-17-2004, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Most drifter i know are but amateur mechanics working on there own car to learn and because its cheaper.

Comment

not only that, but nothing is more satisfying that fixing a car or turning nothing into somthing. thats my 2 banannas

Comment

not only that, but nothing is more satisfying that fixing a car or turning nothing into somthing. thats my 2 banannas

Agreed! There is nothing like changing your own bent inner tierod at the track and then setting the toe with a tapemeasure so that you can get back out there and do it again!

Or taking a $700 pile of bone stock open diff. S13 to 2nd place in a contest.

Now thats what driftings all about! DRIVING and fixing things so you can go DRIVE somemore.

As for most drifters being full time mechanics, i work at a shop and i know a bit about cars and such. But i still wouldnt call myself a pro mechanic, but i would call myself a full time mechanic. But only cuz i work all day then come home and work till midnight on my own car.
                    Last edited by crusTE72corolla; 10-17-2004, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crusTE72corolla
                      Agreed! There is nothing like changing your own bent inner tierod at the track and then setting the toe with a tapemeasure so that you can get back out there and do it again!

Or taking a $700 pile of bone stock open diff. S13 to 2nd place in a contest.

Now thats what driftings all about! DRIVING and fixing things so you can go DRIVE somemore.

As for most drifters being full time mechanics, i work at a shop and i know a bit about cars and such. But i still wouldnt call myself a pro mechanic, but i would call myself a full time mechanic. But only cuz i work all day then come home and work till midnight on my own car.
                      touche!

Comment

you can also go on ebay and buy the factory manuel

Comment

I'm a wanna-be mechanic and painter. I call myself a wanna-be because it takes experience to be a good mechanic or painter, and I have very little experience. A few years ago I used to pay people to fix my car. But then I got into drifting and I realized how expensive it is to pay to upkeep the car. I asked myself, why pay someone else to do it if I can do it myself? Its more money for mods, right? So I get some help from a friend (Brian) and start really getting into it. He shows me how to swap motor, swap tranny, redo suspension, even paint a car, and then I really start to realize how much time it takes to be a good mechanic and painter. The difference between doing something and doing it right. I got a long way to go.

There are a lot of people that drift here in Hawaii and have mad mechanic or painting skills. Yeah a lot of these guys do work for shops (or have access to shops). Some of them are insanely good like Forrest: mechanic, welder, fabricator, and painter. Thats some skills there!
                          Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 10-18-2004, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Most of the grip/drift drivers I know are not full time mechanics at shops but they do work on their own cars or at least they are mechanically inclined. IMO, working on your own car does give you better understanding of what the car tells you when you are in the driver seat.
                            Hubert Young
                            KORE 8 Films

Comment

it is some good facts but...still, to buy all the tools...it could easily go up 5000$ thats my point...would it just be less expansive to pay someone or buy the tools once and for all...?

Comment

Working...
                              X