No announcement yet.

me drifting... what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think it all depends on how long you have been drifting, if you have been drifting for only a couple of months then that is great you are doing well, if you have been drifting for 10yrs then maby it is not so good, but at the end of the day who cares you are out there doing somthing that not everyone eals can do and pulling it off so just continue to have fun and develope your car,

it is much harder to drift a stock car, so when you think about it, you have to be a better driver to do it

keep up the good work

Comment

i dunno. im still kidna mixed it being harder / easier to drift in a stock vs modded car. stock is pretty darn easy to drift.

Comment

I think I've had about enough of this.

Originally posted by Fransisco
        The object here is just to minimize the risk, drifting is a bit different than racing, even the track can be dangerous place to practice. on our first official drift day an s14 drifting on a left hand sweeper, the car suddenly snap to the right hitting the wall then rolled. On our second drift day a trueno rolled after bouncing of the ripple strip. both drivers have racing experienced.
        Sh!t happens.

the s14 had a set of coilovers installed and the trueno was a racecar i think it was setup for rallying as the suspension was as high as stock.. maybe it was stock.
        You understand that neither coilovers nor stock ride height do a suspension setup make, I hope?

and we were using one of the best(safest) track in the country (NZ), to begin drifting. I can confidently say that if the s14 had a decent LSD the driver had a better chance recovering after his drift. and the trueno would have not rolled if it was much lower.
        And I can confidently say that you have no idea what you are talking about. Altering ride height changes the center of gravity, but it also changes the roll center, camber, and amount of travel available. Just because the car is 2" lower does not mean it is significantly harder to roll it. In fact, lowering many cars results NO handling improvements...(malcolm, interrupt at any time here). If he smashed it hard enough to roll it he would have rolled either way.

as the organiser of the day I founded this really annoying, people that came with stock cars, always spinning out getting in other drivers way and tearing up the grass, when other drivers who setup their cars improved after every meet.
        You are looking at the wrong thing, you've got it backwards. They are not improving because they are not working to improve. The fact that they have not made any alterations to their cars and haven't improved is a result of lack of desire. Lack of desire and improvement is not a result of not modding the car.

I'm sure he would have a good time setting up the car, if the enviroment is safe enough go for it.
        Agreed.

Originally posted by Fransisco
        thats a fair comment.. the faster you go the more dangerous it is, but your entire comment is kinda twisting the fact.
        I can put it down like this

Drifting at 40mph which is safer? tuned or stock?
        Drifting at 80mph which is safer? tuned or stock?
        If you have the same driver in both cars, the risk will be equal. Setup will only make up for talent and ability so much.

at least the car will be more predictable, and there is only so much you can learn from driving the car stock. lesson #1 yup too much body roll..
        Actually, a stock car is generally more predictable for a beginner to drive then a modded one. All that suspension travel slows weight transfer, and it's easier to feel which way the car is going. What's harder to decipher for an inexperianced wheelman...a car that leans over as cornering force increases, eventually loosing traction and spinning or sliding, or a car that doesn't lean at all which apears to loose traction from nowhere. The combination of slower weight transfer and more obvious suspension loading makes a stock car a simpler proposition for a new driver.

Comment

Parry:

I'll start off by saying that my technical knowledge is limited and alot of it I learned on my own and help of others, I'm not one to object when I know I'm wrong, but here goes.

You understand that neither coilovers nor stock ride height do a suspension setup make, I hope?
          I cant make any sense of this sentence please help me.

And I can confidently say that you have no idea what you are talking about. Altering ride height changes the center of gravity, but it also changes the roll center, camber, and amount of travel available. Just because the car is 2" lower does not mean it is significantly harder to roll it. In fact, lowering many cars results NO handling improvements...(malcolm, interrupt at any time here). If he smashed it hard enough to roll it he would have rolled either way.
          aw come on..., you're taking this too much at face value, i didnt though it would be necessary to write an essay about lowering your car properly, perhaps malcolm knew what I meant thats why he didnt correct me... when I say the trueno would be better off lowered, I didnt say go cut your spring of course you would have to do all those alterations to get the handling you want.

You are looking at the wrong thing, you've got it backwards. They are not improving because they are not working to improve. The fact that they have not made any alterations to their cars and haven't improved is a result of lack of desire. Lack of desire and improvement is not a result of not modding the car.
          how do you even know this? are you a mind reader?

If you have the same driver in both cars, the risk will be equal. Setup will only make up for talent and ability so much.
          I disagree.

Actually, a stock car is generally more predictable for a beginner to drive then a modded one. All that suspension travel slows weight transfer, and it's easier to feel which way the car is going. What's harder to decipher for an inexperianced wheelman...a car that leans over as cornering force increases, eventually loosing traction and spinning or sliding, or a car that doesn't lean at all which apears to loose traction from nowhere. The combination of slower weight transfer and more obvious suspension loading makes a stock car a simpler proposition for a new driver.
          how fast are we going? have you ever experience weight transfer? after a certain speed the weight transfer of a stock would be much to violent. if you want to drift at 10mph be my guest, but I wouldnt call that drifting.

I'm not sure what you had enough off Parry, I was merely saying I what I though about his drifting with good intentions, i didnt know negative comments werent allowed. and I have already apoligize about the harshness of my post ealier on.
          Last edited by Fransisco; 11-19-2004, 06:30 PM.

Comment

aw come on..., you're taking this too much at face value, i didnt though it would be necessary to write an essay about lowering your car properly, perhaps malcolm knew what I meant thats why he didnt correct me... when I say the trueno would be better off lowered, I didnt say go cut your spring of course you would have to do all those alterations to get the handling you want.
            And I am saying that it very well could be that the car would not handle or drive better lowered at all. I think that for someone who admits themself that they have very limited knowledge of technical subjects you presume too much.

I think the long and the short of it is that you are scared of a little body roll. Body roll does not equate to loss of traction.

You don't need to be a mind reader to see that no improvement plus no involvement equals lack of desire.

Improving your car is a logical and fun thing to do for an enthusiast. That said, it's not "dangerous" or "scary" to drift in a stock car. The boogey man will not get you, nor will your car roll over spontaniously.

Asking me if I've "ever experianced weight transfer" is pretty much offensive.

Comment

*my edit of post was to correct spelling a error 'harness' i meant to say 'harshness'

even from my "limited" knowledge I do feel i know more than you, and i feel dumber from spending my time replying to your post.

I dont presume anything as I said before I talked from experienced.

you've been jumping to conclusions we havent even state what suspension we're using how are we lowering it, and you begin talking about that lowering the car probably does *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*.

'lack of desire' and now you're making up *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* as you go along...I never said NO improvements, the more time a person spend doing something the better he/she will be whether its playing piano or drifting a car but the time spended is the big difference. why limit yourself from such an obvious disadvantage.

maybe you've been driving your car like your grandma or something, stock car = soft spring & shock, how is this slows the weight transfer, really WTF! use some common sense.

just what is drifting to you? powersliding for a couple of meters is not drifting. thats why after seeing doriFC post I was expecting a drifting shot, but what I see is not drifting.

I keep asking this, how fast are we going? I dare you to drift at 80mph in your stock silvia then send me some video footage

what I've been trying to point out is that, a better setup might save you trips to the panel beater not the hospital, thats only if you're reckless. saves you money and time, if that's bad advice to you, fine.

Comment

yeah, i wouldn't doubt what parry says if i was you, he is one of the most knowledgable people on the boards. And about some of the stuff i've seen on these past three pages,

ok, i agree with Parry in that sh!t happens, most everybody that drifts is comfortable with the fact they might wreck.

Saying that both of the cars rolled doesn't prove anything at all. And just a question, did the guy in the s-14 just buy it and then install all the aftermarket stuff on the car then finally go out and try and drift it??? If so that's crazy and he has too much money. I think that even though it might be easier to drift with a modified car, or not, either way, you will learn quicker if you go out and drift what you have like someone said, instead of waiting till you have 5,000 dollars to get a full suspension set up and then finally go try it.

well sry for rambling on about what people have already said, but i figured i'd go ahead and post what i had to say. well nice pic anyway, keep on practicing.

- peace

Comment

the guy with the s14 only had coilovers in his car thats all, factory lsd, which is fine but bad luck i guess. 2 way lsd is alot better.

I like to get rid of the attitude becuase you drift you might wreck your car, and that having drift damage are cool. you dont have to damage your car.. the only time this is most likely to happen is when you're team drifting.

theres a difference in taking risk and taking calculated risk, dare devils dont just jump 10 buses and just accept the fact they might die.

really you dont have to spend that much, strut brace and lsd is a good start like malcolm said. but open diffs are not a good idea.
                  you already spended money buying your car why not spend a little bit more, most can afford it.

Comment

maybe you've been driving your car like your grandma or something, stock car = soft spring & shock, how is this slows the weight transfer, really WTF! use some common sense.
                    I was inaccurate I suppose. The weight transfers in an instant either way.

That said...

...the greater amount of time the softer stock suspension takes to compress and the longer amount of time that it will stay compressed, for our intents and purposes, slows and prolongs weight transfer.

More simply put...take a stock 240sx (the car I apparently own now).

Turn left, hard.

The car is going to roll right. It's going to spend more time rolling right then a car with a stiffer setup, making this event easier to see coming and more predictable. It's going to roll right further, making it more obvious. Finally, it is going to stay rolled over longer, prolonging the time that weight is shifted to that side of the car.

Am I making sense yet?

Comment

Re: me drifting... what do you think?

Looks like you are having fun.

My only car in commision right now is my integra which doesn't drift the same. At least it is wet outside (with the rest of the midwest). Time to try some weight transfer turning/braking...

Comment

I like the pic, nice sliding.

I'd say stay with stock for now. Learn the car, then think about what you can do to change the way it handles. If you know how it behaves stock, you can better understand what to do for modification.

Oh, I agree with this too:
                        "Actually, a stock car is generally more predictable for a beginner to drive then a modded one. All that suspension travel slows weight transfer, and it's easier to feel which way the car is going. What's harder to decipher for an inexperianced wheelman...a car that leans over as cornering force increases, eventually loosing traction and spinning or sliding, or a car that doesn't lean at all which apears to loose traction from nowhere. The combination of slower weight transfer and more obvious suspension loading makes a stock car a simpler proposition for a new driver."

Stock may not behave exactly the way you want it too, but it's very predictable and gives you time to react. However, I also agree a properly tuned car will feel very easy to drift...once you set it up the way you want. Tuned and tuned right are two different things. Tuned right also means you have to know what you want to do with it...again going back to understanding the car in its stock form.

Anyways,
                        have fun man, ignore the negativity. Post more pics, maybe a little vid if you can, always like to see vids...one day I'll post one too

Comment

some of you are talking like i dont know what im doing, just because i showed you one picture, just because my car is stock, just because it has some body roll. Like i said before, you cant see the whole corner and id like to see anyone else do better there. When i get some better pics, ill be sure to post them.

Comment

nah man, as long as you are learning and enjoying yourself I really don't care how good or bad you are.

Keep at it.

Comment

ill just say this...JUST LEARN YOUR CAR heavily modded or otherwise...this isnt supposed to be a post about whos got more testicular fortitude than the other! ( i just love saying line makes me sound SMRT!!! )

FC KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MAN!!!! only advice i have is switch to a smaller sidewall tire youll have more fun and no rubber band effect!!!

Ohkay about drifting on a suspension (built) the initiation is a bit harder at first to learn , due to less flex in body, tires, sidewall, ect. but once it does go it really goes...countersteering is alot sooner and alot faster!!! More so than stock...now the comment about "feeling" the car stock vs. modded...i am going disagree...you feel everything in a fully built suspension!!! i mean everything!!!! you feel the road you feel the tires you feel the leaf you drove over!!! YOU FEEL EVERYTHING!!!!....thats all i can think of saying...and once again fc keep it up man!!!

Comment

looks like you are having fun. that is all that matters. once my car is running i wont care about the fact that it has a big burn mark on the hood, it has 100HP (probably rated at the flywheel), that it is missing a mirror, that it does not have a rear view mirror, the paint looks awful, and my seats are ripped. its about the driving <)8- ) <----dunce anyways my car might not be running but...it will be fun once it is. i will get pictures of my dead car on tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X