My SR20DE 240SX swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SR20DE 240SX swap

It all began with yankin the ol KA. You will be missed my low torque friend.

Than came the cleansing of the engine bay, and installing of the SR

Here it is, just lined up on the motor mounts. Which was pretty easy actually.

And heres the finished product, Rigged up intake to clear the radiator hose and all, compliments a dodge neon radiator hose that was trimmed. Still needs some work, but it runs good off the KA harness and SR ECU.

???

you just put in a smaller displacement engine, the ka has more torque

i'm confused

Comment

yeah i think dumb. but he probably things "jdm factor yo!"

Comment

hes problably putting it in to get a high-rev engine

Comment

pretty stupid... but hey its your car. It'll probably run a bit slower too and it won't pass smog.

Comment

hmm i like it because no one does this for obvious reasons, only way you can turn this swap into "jdm yo" is building that sr20de complete with ITB's. and making at least 150-170whp.

Comment

Thanks for the many positive comments. The buildup is currently on hold due to college, but during the summer it will recieve the following modifications.

Custom ITB's
              Custom header
              Greddy pullies
              S4 cams
              Stand alone

I'm toying on the ideaing of upping the compression to 10:1 as well. The S14 motors come with that, along with VTC, and crank out 160 hp. I figure with the added compression and previously listed mods, it will make for a spirited, high revving motor.

I took the KA out due to its long stroke. The mods needed to make it a more square motor, coupled with its high milage and oil burning problems, made the SR20DE motor which I sourced for 400 dollars a much better solution. I didn't swap it just to be JDM, I've owned FWD SR20DE's for years and enjoy the smooth, revness of the motor.

To the e-thugs, I want fries with that.

Comment

Originally posted by nissantuner22
                Thanks for the many positive comments. The buildup is currently on hold due to college, but during the summer it will recieve the following modifications.

Custom ITB's
                Custom header
                Greddy pullies
                S4 cams
                Stand alone

I'm toying on the ideaing of upping the compression to 10:1 as well. The S14 motors come with that, along with VTC, and crank out 160 hp. I figure with the added compression and previously listed mods, it will make for a spirited, high revving motor.

I took the KA out due to its long stroke. The mods needed to make it a more square motor, coupled with its high milage and oil burning problems, made the SR20DE motor which I sourced for 400 dollars a much better solution. I didn't swap it just to be JDM, I've owned FWD SR20DE's for years and enjoy the smooth, revness of the motor.

YESSSSSSS!

Comment

Ive been hacing problems getting thread up in the beginners section so ill post here since has a something to with sr20. Whats the difference between an sr20 and ka? Is the sr20 japan spec and ka american spec? And what models bring either engine?

Comment

the KA24E/DE are the american 240sx engines. they are 2.4 liter N/a engines that make about 150hp and 160lb/ft torque. this engine can be found in alot of nissans (nissan hardbody 2wd truck)

The SR20DE/DET are engines that can be found in japanese S chassis cars (180sx, silvia). basically they are 2.0 liter engines with a shorter stroke than the KA, meaning that they can rev more freely and happily, and the DET engines were built to withstand boost. n/a i think they make 160hp and lower torque numbers than the KA. turbos (DET) make 220-250 hp. the sr can be found in alot of american cars too (sentra se-r)

There's a world of differences between these two engines, the real point of it all is that they were both offered in S chassis cars and can be interchangable.
                    Last edited by quach; 02-04-2006, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I thought you needed to swap the harness? You said you were running it on the ka harness with sr20 ecu does this only work with the s13-s13 swap since the s14 is obd2 and the added wires of the vtc? Curious I wouldnt mind an sr20de swap in my s14 lighter, more rev happy, much easier to make n/a power with. I like it. Also I am guessing you used the sr trans.

Comment

Originally posted by nissantuner22

Custom ITB's
                        Custom header
                        Greddy pullies
                        S4 cams
                        Stand alone

you realize that for the price of those itb's and cams you could have overhauled your ka and put a turbo on it?

guess im just about performance per dollar, but for 400 bux since your ka needed an overhaul thats nota bad deal, however i wouldnt be dumping money into a n/a sr, or a n/a ka. but whatever floats your boat.

Comment

hmmmmmm..... i try not to knock on peoples projects, but i don't agree with this one. its not common and doesn't make sense for a reason.

Comment

Im going to try to keep this technical

In S13's, use the KA harness. Only a few wires need to be modified. Used in conjunction with the SR20DE ecu, it runs great. KA ecu will run like garbage.

You can swap the motor into an S14. In that case, as you stated, I would use the SR harness, due to the inherient additional wires. Also, I would use the SR ecu.

Turboing the KA, eh, it doesnt fit well into my college lifestyle. The costs involved in keeping up with it, doesnt factor in. A N/A motor is a better solution to the daily driving. As I stated earlier, the squareness of the SR makes it a better build canidate. That, and the ability to swap a VE head on it. Should be fun.

Comment

i for one like it alot.

Comment

Working...
                              X