Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swedish power - you guys

Comment

ya looks as if sam pulled some BS moves to take that..
      alex had better angels on the drift and had was drifting more than the viper..

its BS that he lost..

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
        Heh you were RIGHT in front of me from the looks of that film.

I was wanting to go up to the announcer, and be like "Can you call up an announcement for all the drifting.com members to come up to the stage for a meet."

I thought that would have been cool. But I didnt. You guys must have been really close to me. Nobody said hi to me.

Comment

Next time we go to an event like this lets decide where we can meet first, and someone can bring some drifting.com shirts or something.

Comment

Hmmm...I don't know...watching that footage again I still think the viper won fair and square. The vipers lines were better then Alex's and the speed of the vieprs drifts were better. Alot of the times it seems the viper grips when hes behind Alex. But connects it when hes infront of him. Although I support Alex 100% (especially since he's a Hawaii boy) he lost straight up.

Though its understandable why it would be hard for Sam to connect those turns. I Camaro weights in at around 3,400lbs and to connect the super tight turns is a little difficult...though still do able.

Comment

Alex's car wasnt running right. The viper looks like he doest drift to catch up when hes behind, thats kinda cheap. I think alex should have taken it, seeing as its 150hp vs 500... I thought they judge on power ratings.

Comment

I agree with Revlimit, and it has nothing to do with the fact that Sam was driving a domestic. I know Alex has mad skills, I've seen him in person drifting crazy with a M3. I also know he wasnt driving his own car, so I think he did great considering the circumstances. But watching that vid, I think Sam won fair and square. I do agree that cutting into Alex's racing lines was a little too aggressive for my tastes, but what can you say, Sam was going all out. I really dig Sam's style, alot of weight transfer, alot of throttle on the long slides, and he goes all out in a heavy car.

And how can you say he was not sliding because you saw no smoke? Watch him enter the horseshoe on that last run, do you see any huge smoke trails there? What I see is Sam transfering the weight a little too early (snap back) and then taking the inside line real early for the turn. Unfortunately this did not match well with Alex's line, and both times Sam was behind he cut off Alex's line (passing the second time). Since he set up for that turn the same every time, just watch him when hes in front. I can see what you guys are saying about how it looks like he re-grips, but if you watch him when hes in front you can see he chooses not go wide on that portion of the horseshoe.
                Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 04-28-2004, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Well I was there and Alex outdrove Sam plain and simple. But, Sam made the clear pass so he won. Thats how competitions work. Had he not made the pass, Alex would have won. I am not taking anything away from Sam. He is an outstanding driver and showed skill above and beyond the common man in other runs. But in that run he was clearly outdriven. As for connecting those turns in the Viper, it is possible as he was doing it all day. But in those runs he did not. He gripped for that split second to make the pass. That's all it takes in the Viper to make the pass, 1 second of grip. He makes the pass and wins. You can't argue with the judges on that one.

As for the track, I really think it was a great set up. It favored the smaller, lighter cars in the turns but had the straight section for the more powerful cars to make the distance. There were drivers that were basically connecting the entire course together, Millen is one name that springs to mind. With a good line you could do that. Heck Tony Schultz connected the bigger corners in his Turbo KA powered 240 with basically what amounted to stock suspension. So it didn't take a Viper to win.

Comment

i think the track is fine. It looks just as wide, if not wider than touge. That's what the circuit should somewhat emulate.
                    Maybe i haven't seen enough drift footage, but neither driver to me looks that great in those runs.

Comment

also think about this, that was a factory backed viper, with a experienced rally driver, and the car prob cost over 100k, one of the reasons the viper was able to get inside was his tires, those were grippy as hell, he did the same thing to chris foresburg, he would put his nose right on the inside line which would force the competitor out

Comment

Originally posted by REVLIMIT
                        Hmmm...I don't know...watching that footage again I still think the viper won fair and square. The vipers lines were better then Alex's and the speed of the vieprs drifts were better. Alot of the times it seems the viper grips when hes behind Alex. But connects it when hes infront of him. Although I support Alex 100% (especially since he's a Hawaii boy) he lost straight up.

Though its understandable why it would be hard for Sam to connect those turns. I Camaro weights in at around 3,400lbs and to connect the super tight turns is a little difficult...though still do able.
                        Well i was not there. I only have that one piece of film from that one angle to judge on, If you and crazy hawaiian say he won it fair and square then i have to agree. You guys are both alot better then me. Not tomention ghost who was there in person.

Im glad you guys chimed in because, wether you realise it or not your opinions carry alot of weight, with me and im sure plenty of others.

Furthermore, i will get to see the viper in person on saturday drifting, Hopefully i can get a much better look and see how its doing. Then i will be able to give you guys a better opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo23
                          also think about this, that was a factory backed viper, with a experienced rally driver, and the car prob cost over 100k, one of the reasons the viper was able to get inside was his tires, those were grippy as hell, he did the same thing to chris foresburg, he would put his nose right on the inside line which would force the competitor out
                          Well one of the complants Keichi Tsuchya had about the American drifters, who were considered the best, before the D1, Was they couldnt control there line and speed mid drift. Perhaps thats the problem.

The japanese drivers at the D1 could alter there line and aproch to advoid being cutoff by Sam, (lets say ultra agressive is his style, that being the case the viper matches it.) Perhaps some of the better American drivers cant do that yet, thus they right now have no defense against Sam's style.

Looking at it that way makes it seem very fair. The rest simply need to get better.

And as for the cost of the viper, it was a competition coupe, it does cost over a 100k. (still not thrilled about that, but whatever.. all the extra money doesnt make it a better drifter)

Comment

Personally I consider one of the reasons why the US drivers dont really have great line control is mostly due to the tracks in which they drift on. On our track if you screw up your line you can hit a guard rail, concrete wall, a wall of tires...with a concrete wall behind it, a light pole, huge 50 gallon drums, etc. It forces you to control your line or you screw up your car. haha...down there though many of hte courses seem to be large and open. Or in most of the cases just huge lots with cones or plastic little barrier things.

Damn man your lucky you get to see those events. I wish I could be down there to watch them. Hey dont forget to get some footage! haha

Comment

Yeah indeed, most of our "tracks" are parking lots with cones. As a group we will slowly get better though..

And dont worry i will get plenty of media for everyone.

Comment

yeah judging on that 2nd run... it seems Sam is forcing Alex he drove more of a grip style that run... plus the track is made more for a Viper style high speed run/drift, no way a 86 can keep up w/ a viper unless he brakes late and drifts later, but if the viper also does this it makes it very hard... yeah I agree Ghost Alex outdrove Sam

Comment

Working...
                                X