drifting a 4wd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drifting a 4wd

just starting to get into drifting, not the best car for that purpose... but anyone with similar car can give me some advice. got a evo viii. i know heel toe and left foot braking well...how do i use that in drifting. pretty much able to do really well in grip. let me know ppl!!

AWD is great for anything but road. Its tough to get them to slide because they are nice grip cars. Apparently the thing to do is a feint movement (quick turns) like in rally for dirt or snow. Then, as the car is getting sideways you need to lose traction by getting the tires spinning. Push the throttle hard, rev the car high and keep the power to it through out the corner, make sure you aren't going to whip your self at the exit. Slight countersteer will be needed considering the car will want to shoot forward while being sideways.

AWD wasnt made for drifting on concrete/asphalt. But with alot of work it can be done, may not looke as nice as RWD but its alot more fun.

Comment

i was thinking not knowing at all if this would work but put some nice soft sticky tires on teh front and some hard slippery tires on the back and see if u cant get the back end out a little....again i have no clue if it would work or not

Comment

The front will probably grip too much, putting an enormous amount of oversteer into the car. I would think it make the thing a little too spin happy. Normal stock tires are sufficient for this I would believe.

Comment

i'm able to get the car sideway no problem, just can't do it in an "initial d" way...i have a set of stickier tires up front. the most challenging part is the countersteer part. not to mention the evo has a really short "turn to turn lock"( not sure if that's the term for it) so even a little tiny countersteer will over done it. i've got some advice as to keep on pressing the gas all the way throughout the whole turn, but the sudden "pull back" of the countersteer will get the car to swing to another end, causing me to assume more countersteer is needed (that's kinda an instint, sucks) so i guess i need to really practice more. and everytime when i get sideway, i let off the gas, which is exactly the opposit that i should do. i'm hesitant about gunning it while the tail is out...how do i overcome it....

Comment

Term you're looking for is "steering ratio".

Comment

Thats the scary thing of AWD, you have to push that gas down to keep the thing sliding. Atleast you can get the car sideways, good start. Countersteer on awd cars can be tricky because of their power, the key is to keep the countersteer to a minimum and let the gas go, or left footbrake, to get the car to stick again.

Its going to be tough on dry roads so just practice alot, try to tape it and watch it over and over and see what can be improved.

That awkward power is hard to overcome since you have to push it through the corner instead of lay off. Try it on an open surface if you can, going slow at first then kicking it up little by little.

Comment

Awd is goofy cause it does two completely different things between on and off the gas. When you're off the throttle or braking, you'll usually use some counter steering, especially if you feinted or kind of threw the rear end out.

However, when you get on the gas, the front tires pull the car. This essentially makes counter steering something you should NOT do. Basically, if the car is set up neutral, steering will actually be straight forward. If the car understeers a little, then a little bit of steer into the corner will be needed to keep the front end from sliding out. If the car oversteers, then you will need a little countersteer to keep the rear end from getting away from you.

Now relating thing to an "Initial D" or rwd look, it won't happen. Don't expect the rear end to be hung way out like a rwd car. It's not possible under power. If you don't touch the throttle, yes, the rear end can stay out...probably with a small amount of constant brake if you want to counter steer. The first thing you have to get over is the idea that an awd will look like a rwd when drifting. It won't...ever. It will look like a rally car does. The drifts are a bit more shallow. The car is usually pointing the direction you're exiting as you finish through the turn. The steering is usually somewhere around center, a little out or in depending on understeer/oversteer and if you want to change the line of the car.

Also realize, with an awd car, you would need twice the power to actually break all the tires free. This means, you'd either need a VERY powerful car or don't expect to spin the tires free on command. You're more required to set up the suspension neutral or with some oversteer, or only work on a lower traction surface or with very bad tires. The power requirement difference to spin the tires is probably something you've already noticed.

My suggestion to you simply is to not drive it like a rwd or expect to drift it like one. It just won't happen. Yes, you can toss it around and even put the steering into a full counter steer for look, but it just doesn't drive/drift that way. It's really a strange feeling a first. If you came from a rwd car, not countersteering and maybe even putting a bit of steer in on the corners may be a bit akward, but that's how it works. Feint or brake drift into the corner, lay on the throttle and steer pretty much straight or maybe even into the corner. Rotate the car initially with the feint or the length you brake and rotate before you get on the throttle. Then lay on the gas and steer where you want it to go. To modify your like, just steer. If you find the car still understeering, let off the gas for a second, don't countersteer, let it rotate a little, and then lay on the gas again. You may even not need to brake. Just a second off the throttle may give you the oversteer you want. Then lay on the gas again and maybe steer in a little more.

Edit:
                Oh a nice little vid I came across today. There's more on the ftp site too, just highlighting this one cause ti was neat to watch.
                ftp://ftp.sysadmin-racing.com/videos...max2rallye.wmv
                Last edited by Drift For Food; 11-26-2004, 08:59 PM.

Comment

those are all very good advice, thanks ppl, i'll go and let off the gas and let it spin a little then step it on the gas and let it correct itself.

Comment

what's left foot braking?

Comment

left foot braking is a technique used to minimize understeer or transfer weight during a turn. apply or just tap a right amount of braking by your left foot with your right foot on the gas the same time

Comment

You can't drift like in Initial D because of one simple reason: your car isn't rear-wheel drive.

Comment

there's one evolution drift car i believe the sponsor or the aftermarket turner is JUN, the yellow and green one. it won the championship that one competition. it was sometime back then. i think you really have to turn it and have a drift setup to drift a 4wd

Comment

Originally posted by go2evo
                            there's one evolution drift car i believe the sponsor or the aftermarket turner is JUN, the yellow and green one. it won the championship that one competition. it was sometime back then. i think you really have to turn it and have a drift setup to drift a 4wd
                            yeah i got a clip of the evo. that shiet is hot as hell. i say its inspiration for all the awd drifters.

Comment

there you go

Comment

Working...
                              X