drifting a cressidia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drifting a cressidia?

i've heard that the cressidia is the american version of the chaser (not really sure what generation). Is it true? how driftable is it? does anyone know where to get parts? does it share suspension pieces from any other toyotas? I've also heard you can swap in a 2.5 turbo supra engine in pretty easliy. any information would be great.

sweet car very driftable has a 1g-gte i think not sure and it was the chaser's equal until they stopped making it. its not that popular yet, so keep it on the downlow.

Comment

Fo Sho!!!

I think people should keep tha cressida on tha DL. But if peeps start finding stuff about that drifting wonder doesnt meen that they are gonna start buying them or ARE thEY????????? Hmm, I don knoe

Comment

The cressida is the name of it.
        It's driftable, it's not the american version of the chaser, it's a completely different car with similar chassis characteristics. It share some suspension pieces with the 89' supra, and it is possible to place a 1jz-gte, or a 2jz-gte, 1jz recommended. It is rear wheel drive, the parts are distributed by Toyota and any toyota aftermarket, basically interchangable with the supra's.

Comment

dont bother with a 2jz if your interest is purely drift, stick with the 1jz (the VVT Single Turbo version is expencive but well worth it.)

manual transmissions can be a little pricey and hard to find, but the whole conversion is a very simple process.

just make sure you put in a decent clutch.

suspension is relativly easy for drift setup. from what i remember you can get some nasty toe in/out problems on the rear wheels, but it isnt a common problem.

Comment

manual conversions are NOT simple on the 89-92 cressidas.

Comment

I agree. Pain in the *Censored**Censored**Censored* is the only way to sum it up. Started on my friend's at 6:30 in the morning and didn't finish up completely until about 11 that night.

Comment

ok sorry... when i said the whole process was relativly simple i meant the engine swap. the mounts line up perfectly.

There is trouble with the manual trans fitting because the floor plan was only ever made to accomidate an auto. "massaging" the trans tunnel with a big hammer is pretty much the only way to get it to fit, even then it sits hard up against the tunnel.

second problem is the trans crossmember, it needs some mods to fit up. the shifter will only pop up in the factory hole if the trans is from a JZA70, if not then more mods are needed.

you also have to fit a clutch to a car that wasnt designed to have one. This requires several components from other cars (pedal box etc...) and for hydraulic lines to be fabricated.

an LSD is also tricky, the only real bulletproof way of getting a good one is from japan. this would be the TRD 2 way mechanical center. you could adapt a MZ70 unit but they are less than great.

finally is the wiring, can be pretty tricky but by no means impossible.

i dont want to put anyone off trying this swap, the few times i have done it, it only took a weekend with a few friends or any workshop could do it in a week or so.

Comment

here's what i plan to do (let me know if it would work)
                  1992 cressida with a mkIII supra turbo engine
                  -tein flex coilovers for a mkIII supra
                  -trd lsd for a MKIII supra
                  -custom griffin intercooler and radiator
                  - greddy turbo upgrade
                  -some sort of boost controller
                  -weight reduction
                  -clutch&flywheel (any ideas)
                  -brakes (does the cressidia have the same bolt pattern as the supra?)
                  also where can i get some sway bars for this beast
                  thanks
                  Last edited by driftex; 12-07-2004, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Re: Fo Sho!!!

Originally posted by InDOdriFTkID
                    I think people should keep tha cressida on tha DL.
                    that's what i am trying to do but peeps keep on bring it up.

Comment

Originally posted by davsin50
                      [
                      i dont want to put anyone off trying this swap, the few times i have done it, it only took a weekend with a few friends or any workshop could do it in a week or so. [/B]
                      you've done this before? what engine did you use and how has it worked out so far?
                      sorry about bring this topic up im planning on getting a car pretty soon and this is one of my choices. i was just wondering if i should consider it and from what you guys have said i am. thanks

Comment

Ok, well i've been planning to buy another drift/showcar and was thinking of a cressida.

Don't know much about the cressida however, but what year is best?

Comment

What U Gonna DO!!

FD3S_Pilot

You might be tryin to keep tha cressi on tha DL but people will be people and they will ask everone about tha cressi and you cant stop em' so just dont trip maybe tha cressi will be a drifting car fad or not

Comment

Yo1 driftex

Tha car is called a CRESSIDA that C-R-E-S-S-I-D-A jus to let ya knoe

Comment

Indo, I think we've establish the spelling of the car, let alone we need to establish your spelling skills. But anyways, there's no use to putting in a 7mgte, when you can always bolt on a turbo and create new lines. Best bet is 1jz-2jz if you have the deep pockets. As for what year car being the best, i'd say the box 87's because of their ease of putting in manual tranny's, but you can just leave the 7mge and bolt on a turbo. My .02 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X