Is An Fc A Good Idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is An Fc A Good Idea?

everyone is really jumping on the sr20 240 bandwagon and i wanted to be a little different(but i guess not so much, since you dont have many different rr cars with potential at our(u.s) disposal). so i wanted to get an fc, but a corrolla would be extremely cheap and nice but anyways, what do you think about the fc as far as
    engine mods and engine swaps.
    i wanted no more than 300 hp but no less than 200 but of course first i would get my look and suspension down, but when it comes to power, what should i be expecting.
    i heard the rotary is a pain in the *Censored**Censored**Censored* and is turbo charging the stock engine an option?

plus give me your takes on the corolla too

One word. Search.

The search button can be very useful for questions like these. Or just reading the faqs...

Comment

www.rx7club.com

Comment

Well the FC is a good car whatever model you get turbo or nonturbo. If you get the nonturbo you can turbo it a few people have done this. As far as power the FC isnt power hungry meaning if not as easy to get a lot of HP from it like other cars. You would need to change a lot of stuff to do that. Base hp to the fly is around 200 though. That being the turbo model. The car in stock form handles well but if you want to get it sideways your going to need to get rid of the DTSS. Also not all models came w/ LSD but the turbo models did and some NAs too.

If you believe the rotary engine is a pain the *Censored**Censored**Censored* then you shouldnt get one. Do your research because its not as hard as you think. If you have some mechanical know how the youll be fine. Just make sure when you buy a FC that cheaper isnt always better because w/ FC sometimes you get what you paid for. NA FCs engines last a long time so if you want a reliable FC get an NA one.

Engine swaps.. hmm ive seen 20b swaps into an FC and v8 swaps. Ive also seen 13-REW (FD engine) swaps. Also SR20 swaps into the FC aswell.

Heres a good site for FCs. www.teamfc3s.org

Comment

Originally posted by Raziel
          As far as power the FC isnt power hungry meaning if not as easy to get a lot of HP from it like other cars.
          I don't really agree with this.

The turbo FC reacts extremely well to trivial mods (e.g. freeflowing intake and exhaust, and a boost controller). With a FCD and/or ECU reflash (the RTek is looking more and more promising every day), you can safely run 8-10 PSI of boost (especially with a new fuel pump, and proper FP electrical supply). With the above modifications, and a motor/turbo in good condition, you'll put down in the range of ~225 to the wheels; that's a pretty serious jump from stock.

The trick to modifying the FC, is making sure you don't overboost with the stock ECU, and stock-sized injectors. For the S4, wastegate porting is a must. It's also important to make sure everything is in correct working order before you start making major changes (e.g. make sure the spray pattern on your injectors is sane).

Comment

I wouldn't think of an fc as different domestic cars would be different or a conquest/starion or mkII supra any of the z-cars

Comment

get a ke70 corolla and bolt up a 4age and build the drivetrain and suspension with ae86 spec parts, flare them guards out and have it sitting nice and low on some watanabes.

Comment

the fc is a great idea its a good car

Comment

fcs are tite but if ur getting one you cant forget the dual exhaust pipes. they give the car a much nicer look and sound. easy car to squeeze some hp out of. white n black are the best colors it looks in

Comment

Originally posted by rb20
                    get a ke70 corolla and bolt up a 4age and build the drivetrain and suspension with ae86 spec parts, flare them guards out and have it sitting nice and low on some watanabes.
                    Wouldn't a set of new Watanabe 8-spokes cost as much as the car?...

Comment

Haha get some konigs then, you can buy a full set of their 8-spoke rims for pretty damn cheap.

Ill be blunt dont feel like explaining a lot: FC is a great drifting car, the rear toe (almost like 4-wheel steering i guess) can mess some people up- but once youvel earned how to deal with it you can run fine.

If your lazy and cheap, dont want to learn a lot and are more into it for the "fun" of what drifting is now, i wouldnt suggest the FC, theres a lot to learn. Id suggest a bit more "Care free" car like a well maintained 86 (cost would be about 3 grand for this at most or your being ripped off) and especialy the 240sx (i dislike the 240s for some reason though, but ill admit theyre good).

Comment

if i were you i would get an FC. i have three of them. too many people have the 240sx. plus rotaries are not all that hard to take care of as long as you know how the engine works and what needs to be done on a regular basis to keep them in running condition. yes they are really susceptable to small mods. exhaust is a big point to gain some horse out of an rx7. the rotary engine is a hot engine and bigger free flowing exhaust lets that heat escape faster thus more power.

Pat

Comment

I'm pretty sure the reason they can make big gains from exhaust is because some exhausts have so little backpressure that it seriously increases boost, increasing power on turbo cars..

For example, the Racing Beat full exhaust increases you to like 10-12, so it's not always safe to use without upgrading the fuel system (despite what they tell you)...

Comment

Ok this is going to be a long post, but hopfull this will help you.
                            I own an FC. so naturally i will say they are good but thats my opinion and every1 has theirs, this is for you to decide and what you decide is ultimatly upto you.

Dont worrie to much on the looks of the car first of as you will damage it while drifting leave that for later.
                            The FC has near perfict 50/50 weight balance (50.2 front/49.8rear). Ths FC also came with dss (directional stering system) which means the rear wheels toe in under heavey cornering. LSD was optional on them (in oz it is but not sure about other countries tho.) from the factory.

20b is more heavier and torqier and will ruin the 50/50 weight balance
                            sr20 converstion is ok as there a plenty or after market parts but be pepaired to spend big moolah and ruine the 50/50 weight balance as well you also loose the unique rotary note as well.

I have mod'ed my FC for drifting and i'll give you a run down
                            (keep in mind its not full complete, take your time when moding them)

Full rebuild with all new seals
                            Microtech ECU
                            3" exhaust to 2 2" mufflers
                            Extend Port
                            Rmoved top mount IC and placd it in front (will upgrade later)
                            Blitz BOV
                            K&N Pod filter
                            Replaced standart turbo with a T3/T4 High Flow Turbo

this has given me a power figure of 176kw @ the wheels running 7psi (keep in mind that its not fully tuned as i am still using the N/A gear box and Diff with no lsd) and when i start to make a decent amount or power my clutch starts to slip.

I am now installing a s5 gear box as they have a better gear ratio and a s5 diff with new tail & drive shafts, accompanied with a 52mm waste gate (waste gate will make sure that the turbo doesn't overboost and or spike).
                            this will see the power rise to about 250kw @ 7psi.

As for running more boost you will need to upgrade the fuel pump and lines etc, i recomend running 1000cc secondary injectors while leaving the primarys 850cc.

Brakes are 4 or 5 pot at the front and work fine.

i could go on but i wont so if you wanna discuss more indepth msg me on msn.
                            divius_fc3s@hotmail.com

Comment

Just some info id like to point out; the fc ONLY has 50/50 weight distribution on a full tank of gas- sorry the source escapes me right now but that was released by mazda. if you got an fc and want to prove me wrong get your car on a scale. 2, 50/50 isnt "perfect", few vehicle have the ability to make full use of this weight distribution- 50/50 in terms of drifting isnt ideal either, being a bit biased to either direction allows one end "over power" the other end slightly in a sense. Common sense if you think about it, hell even tsuchiya has poitned that out.

lastly, i hardly doubt the minimal loss in weight distribution would be that big a deal if at all noticable to 99% of the drivers here by swapping in a 20b, and considering the power they make. Stock, remove the turbos your making 250 hp, port the engine properly your making 300+ na hp, hell go the turbo rout and your reliably making 5-600 hp easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X