Opionion on what Drifting car to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opionion on what Drifting car to buy

Hey guys im new to this forum so thats why im posting in the newbie area. I live i Florida which has nothing remotley close to darg racing or drifting.

I was wonder if i was to get a drifting car what shoulsd i pick.

Nissan 96 240sx (s14)
    Toyota 95 MR2
    Lexus 97 SC 300 V6
    or Mitsubishi 97 Galant

Ive pritty much put all my hope that ill get the nissan but i need an opionion about all of the cars, and im talking pro's and con's.

Is it also possible to drift a FWD car that looks like a messed up cross between a stationwagon and a mini van? A.K.A Scion XB

Thanks

D2D
    Last edited by Drag2Drifter; 12-09-2004, 10:59 AM.

Search button is your best friend. Theres about a million threads about this. If you read the faqs you'll see they have plenty of info in there too.

Comment

FYI Soarers/SC300s never came with a V6. You're thinkin of an inline 6

Comment

dude florida has a huge drifting scene. My friends twin brother lives down there and he is all over the drift scene.

anyways, i dont even think the galant is rwd, so forget that. Mr2 is hard to learn on from what ive heard, but i wouldnt wnat to work on one with the engine in back. sc300 is expensive to have, maintain, and insurance. PLus its heavy as hell. 240 easy to work on, cheap, good enough, lots of parts.

Comment

dude florida has a huge drifting scene. My friends twin brother lives down there and he is all over the drift scene.

anyways, i dont even think the galant is rwd, so forget that. Mr2 is hard to learn on from what ive heard, but i wouldnt wnat to work on one with the engine in back. sc300 is expensive to have, maintain, and insurance. PLus its heavy as hell. 240 easy to work on, cheap, good enough, lots of parts.

Comment

Originally posted by raging panda

Well i guess its gona be the 240sx (S14) I went to my ins provider and got a few quotes on other possible cars.
            BMW M3 is out (expensive parts and stuff...)
            Any Lexus car is out (dido)
            Toyota MRS (wasnt practical, almost no storage space)
            Mitsubishi EVOIII ( was possible if it wasnt for that warranty issue i heard about)
            Subaru WRX Sti (AWD are hard to drift)
            Nissan 240sx (S14) Great drifting car, payable insurance rate and it was my first pick

Im suposed to buy the car later on today lol and at 4k it was a steal!

Ok so where can i go to get a drifting bumper like the in my avatar. Im planning on doing an S15 front conversion and an SR20DET engine swap. Ive heard that the SR20 is illegal because of emmisions laws but ive seen so many people have the engine. Because of the emmissions is their anyway to get them to US standards?

D2D

Comment

nope sr20det is illegal dunno if there is a way to get it to pass emissions but i doubt it... if you want to know where to buy the s15 conversion i know of a place HERE they the conversion comes with a bumper to fit the s15 headlights. it also comes with a carbon fiber hood to fit the lights, and of course, the fenders. you cant buy a kit for a s15 like the one on your avatar and slap it on your s14 because it wont fit (if thats what you were asking) there are two diffrent bumpers you can get when you buy the conversion too. hoped that helped.
              -matt

Comment

there are no emmisions in flroida so sr20's are okay

Comment

Is there any sort of 4door RWD car that's driftable?
                  4door cars tend to get a bonus on the insurance.

The first couple that come to mind are the cressida (which are all ancient and/or neglected) and the Lexus IS300. The lexus is a bit pricey though.

Comment

id have to say the s14.

Comment

Originally posted by 240drftr
                      nope sr20det is illegal dunno if there is a way to get it to pass emissions but i doubt it... if you want to know where to buy the s15 conversion i know of a place HERE they the conversion comes with a bumper to fit the s15 headlights. it also comes with a carbon fiber hood to fit the lights, and of course, the fenders. you cant buy a kit for a s15 like the one on your avatar and slap it on your s14 because it wont fit (if thats what you were asking) there are two diffrent bumpers you can get when you buy the conversion too. hoped that helped.
                      -matt
                      That site you gave me helped me a whole bunch for the S14 and my G35 coupe i own(its a sleeper with 750hp thanks to a intercooler and twin turbo kits from Greddy. I was trying to find out where i could find that front bumper and S15 lights. I tried HKS, Bomex, Areodesigns inc. and a few other sites. You answered my question exactly how i wanted it. Is it essential to have Canards on the front bumper to create more down force or no?

Now for my other question, what kind of rims and tires should you have on a drifting car. I was looking in my Superstreet online magazine and i sorta have a few choices:

5Zigen Hyper5ZR in black (staggered fitment 19x8.5)
                      Axis SevenMod in Black (19")
                      Racing Hart C5 in black (18")
                      Tenzo Passion 5 in black (18)
                      Advan SuperRacing Ver. 2

Which one, and also how do i find the right fitment and offset to fit the wheel well of a 240sx (S14)

Oh yea, where can i get an SR20DET ive tried looking everywhere including yellow pages to find shops that'll do an engine swap.

D2D
                      Last edited by Drag2Drifter; 12-13-2004, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drag2Drifter
                        That site you gave me helped me a whole bunch for the S14 and my G35 coupe i own(its a sleeper with 750hp thanks to a intercooler and twin turbo kits from Greddy. I was trying to find out where i could find that front bumper and S15 lights. I tried HKS, Bomex, Areodesigns inc. and a few other sites. You answered my question exactly how i wanted it. Is it essential to have Canards on the front bumper to create more down force or no?

Now for my other question, what kind of rims and tires should you have on a drifting car. I was looking in my Superstreet online magazine and i sorta have a few choices:

5Zigen Hyper5ZR in black (staggered fitment 19x8.5)
                        Axis SevenMod in Black (19")
                        Racing Hart C5 in black (18")
                        Tenzo Passion 5 in black (18)
                        Advan SuperRacing Ver. 2

Which one, and also how do i find the right fitment and offset to fit the wheel well of a 240sx (S14)

Oh yea, where can i get an SR20DET ive tried looking everywhere including yellow pages to find shops that'll do an engine swap.

D2D
                        Cheap ones because you will slam them into stuff...and then you will cry when 500+ dollars when down the drain.

Comment

Where is this money coming from is my question?

Comment

This is what i want my S14 to look LIKE

This was the actuall magazine that made me join this forum for drifting, and this was when i had to have a S14 240sx.

Ive been trying to find this body kit and front bumper forever i read the article and i think C-West makes it.
                            Last edited by Drag2Drifter; 12-14-2004, 10:02 AM.

Comment

If an engine wasnt offered in america and has to be imported.. its not legal to have even if u can get it to pass emissions.

Added: 750 hp g35? dotn taje this the wrong way but damn man you got to show that thing (if u can afford a car like that u can afford a digital cam!)

I wouldnt worry too much about the body kit and rims, ok maybe the rims those are always fun..

Get yourself a coilover suspension first with some "Engine basics" and learn to drive the thing. If your just learning to drift (which it sounds like u r) your going to break stuff. Why risk damaging an expensive body while your learning? Get the go, then do the show.
                              Last edited by SidewaysGts; 12-14-2004, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X