ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one 240sx, Lexus SC300, RX-7? and Confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you need to listen to the guys on this forum. They are trying to steer you in the right direction. Get a 240 period, its the easiest to get parts for. When you do get your car the first and only mod to get is an LSD or limited slip differential. Drive on that for a while then go for suspension, engine etc.
    Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

Thanks guys for helping me out and I learned alot from this too. Hey Ryan thanks for the post too. Everybody is a big help here thanks and this website is a big help as well and I will continue to get more info from you pros out there. I'm trying to get a 240sx 95-98 because I hear it already has 5lugs and lsd already so that will save some money on me but I love the early years like 89-92 nice body style so. Anyways thanks again and I would love to get your guys email talk to more about drifting as well if thats ok thanks. Even Ryan too if thats alright ok thanks!!!

SamuraiX26

Comment

Hey Ryan I remember you now I mean I know who you are but I road with you last year at the Traxion event in Chicago and you had a Mazda RX-8. You don't remember me but the show which I know but yeah now I know who you are now!! Cool and thanks for the tip too!! Hey man congrads with D1 License too. Thanks again!!

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiX26
          Thanks guys for helping me out and I learned alot from this too. Hey Ryan thanks for the post too. Everybody is a big help here thanks and this website is a big help as well and I will continue to get more info from you pros out there. I'm trying to get a 240sx 95-98 because I hear it already has 5lugs and lsd already so that will save some money on me but I love the early years like 89-92 nice body style so. Anyways thanks again and I would love to get your guys email talk to more about drifting as well if thats ok thanks. Even Ryan too if thats alright ok thanks!!!

SamuraiX26
          Well...the money that you save for a S13 chassis...can be spent on a 5-lug swap. I don't recall if S14s came w/ a LSD as an option. Either way, I would swap out the OEM LSD for an upgraded aftermarket unit.

Good luck.

Comment

you wont save any money by getting an s14, the lsd came stock on some s13 or s14, but need to be replaced anyways, they suck. The 5 lug wont make a difference, but if you feel the need, a 5 lug swap will run you around 600+ on the s13, and im sure you can find an s13 and save more than 600 dollars on it compared to an s14. Remember, LSD and bucket seat is what you really need.

Comment

What one should I get then Tomei 2 Way LSD or Kaaza 1.5 or 2 Way LSD and I heard that both are pretty good. I could be wrong but couple of magazines said Tomei 2 Way is the best. Now for the bucket seats this is my opinion that I like between Sparco or Bride but I don't know but I do know that I'm just getting a racing seat for now then later add a recliner one for the passenger side. What's your suggestion!?Oh and one thing to add is that I will be getting a rollcage but thats later on and I know someone who can make one and he made one for hes car and he drives in stockcar racing that will save a little or does that sound like trouble and do I have to get someone or buy a rollcage that is already for drifting and certified in it. What do think!?
              Please more feed back thank you for helping out too I appericate this!!!

Samuraix26

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiX26
                What one should I get then Tomei 2 Way LSD or Kaaza 1.5 or 2 Way LSD and I heard that both are pretty good. I could be wrong but couple of magazines said Tomei 2 Way is the best. Now for the bucket seats this is my opinion that I like between Sparco or Bride but I don't know but I do know that I'm just getting a racing seat for now then later add a recliner one for the passenger side. What's your suggestion!?Oh and one thing to add is that I will be getting a rollcage but thats later on and I know someone who can make one and he made one for hes car and he drives in stockcar racing that will save a little or does that sound like trouble and do I have to get someone or buy a rollcage that is already for drifting and certified in it. What do think!?
                Please more feed back thank you for helping out too I appericate this!!!

Samuraix26
                Research, my friend, you can't have all the answers given to you...

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6800

Seats...go sit your butt in one. Which one fits your body? I don't know...Rating you can look up for safety on most company sites.

Cages, thinking a little ahead if you're on a budget. Sounds kinda bandwagon to get one so soon, but whatever. Theres no such thing as a D1 Spec rollcage, there is a universal rating for rollcages. SCCA/IHRA (sp?) whatever...Go get a SCCA rules and regulations book for 6 bucks and give the roll cage section to a welder/bender he'll know what to do.

Good luck...

Comment

Hey Im not thinking a ahead hear or bullsh*!#ting here I'm just thinking safety here thats all. I don't want my car to roll or me crush in it or anything else worst. That's all I thinking about is safety first thing. Also safety should come first right or should other things come first. I don't want to bad happening to me or anybody else. Hey people helping people thats why we are here right. Remember I am not a pro here and I'm learning here to. Im here to listen to you guys thats all your the pros not me and I only see & read about drifting in the magazines, dvds and watching at the local events. Im glad that there is a forum here that lets us talk to the pros here and to get help and learn to. Hey thanks for the tip and nice Supra too by the way!

Thanks!!!

SamuraiX26

Comment

i wouldnt worry too much about rolling, its pretty uncommon and hard to do, but its not a bad idea.

about the lsd thing, i heard kaaz and tomei use the same manufacturer, but that could be false, you'd have to talk to the people in the know, but neither are bad. My friend swears by the ats deft force, another used a nismo sss for a long time, i know someone who loves the cusco mz he says it locks like a deft force, but smoother, and a ton of people love their kaaz lsds, i havent spoken to anyone with a tomei but i would buy one if the price was right.

2 way is recommended, because later on, you can use the lock up during breaking to start a drift, honestly i dont know anything about that first hand as most of my stuff is feint and clutch kicks.

for my seat, i have just a bucket for the driver, screw the passenger, tell them to hang on. You have to sit in a couple seats to know what you like. I'm a pretty big buy, but i still like the small fit of the sprint or speed by sparco, but of course i make myself like them because of the price. If you can afford it, get the best seat you can that fits you.

Comment

I have to agree with these guys. I would also look at Cobra, and 2Kracing seats they also make nice seats. A lot of people get caught up with the bride thing. Don't get me wrong they make very fine seats, but there are a few companies that make slightly cheaper, but equal quality seats. Don't worry about the passenger seat screw'em like raging panda said make em hang on! I have a regular passenger seat in my drift car! Raging panda is right about the LSD's also any aftermarket one will work, but I would go with a 2way... I still use the stock mazda LSD in my personal car. As far as cages are concerned if you really think you need one, Look at autopower cages, they run about $400 and should pass all SCCA specs...aka D1. They are typically 6 point cages. Good advice Panda!

PS how the hell do you remember me from traxion? LOL That event kicked the crap out of me! Drifting for 7 hrs takes its toll on your body! Glad you got to ride with me though. I think I did like 200 ridesor something that day. The course kinda sucked there.

thanks
                      Last edited by RyanHampton; 04-13-2005, 01:01 AM.
                      Ryan Hampton

Comment

Hey Ryan yeah that would be hard to remember that but I just got a good memory thats all. And 200 rides man that would be a killer on you they should of provide other cars for you to drive. Hey does it feel different shifting on a RHD 240sx or do you get used to it right away? And do you ever sometimes forget to go on RHD instead of LHD!? I know it would take me a while. Yeah your right, screw the passenger let them hold on the Ohshit handle ha ha!! Hey nice Mazda that was one of my choice of cars but not many around here for sale which stinks. So 240sx it is yeah!! Thanks for the tip for rollcages I will check it out. Yeah there so many different lsd out there Im going to keep my eye out for 2Way and a good price too. Oh any good prices and websites that I should look at for lsd and other stuff!? Ive been to Phase 2 motortrend, SuperiorNissanmotorsports, Heavy Throttle, J-spec, and Enjuku Racing all them seem pretty cool and alot of products. There was one website I used love going on and to dream because they had nothing more than straight JDM parts or AfterMarket JDM too, but they don't have a website any more and I can't find the phone number any more either. They from Minnesota, name was AutoImaging.com and there website was also part of GP Sports NA hey just curious if anybody knows anything about this let me know thanks. Oh another thing for Ryan you are on the Falken Team now do you choose the tires or do they and Falken tire ST-115 I hear its good tire for drifting and the offical for drifting. Which is a good set of tires and brand for drifting? Thanks for the tips!

SamuraiX26

Comment

No I reallydon't notice a difference in the perspective of RHD vs LHD...I do notice a difference in shifting though! I used to drive some prototype RHD race cars, but you still shifted with your right hand. The left hand shift thing is a biotch! I never did get totally used to it...OH well there is always New Jersey! there are several shops you can go to for parts. I will have to ask my wife about shops in MN. She is from there and used to be into the scene. So I will ask her. She did used to have some friends there named Steve Anderson, and John Macho don't know if that rings a bell? They used to sell a lot of JDM parts. Falken lets each driver choose their tires. We get choice of size and type. I used to use the 115s, they are a great tire with very good wear! I have switched to the new rt-615 though. It has better grip. I am running 225/45 17 upfront, and 255/40 17s in the back. I'll try that this weekend.
                          Ryan Hampton

Comment

I just look at the new body kit and I know its just for looks but man I loved it new Lexus SC300 bodykit from Origin-Lab and I love there bodykits even for the Nissan too. Im having a tough time trying to get a Nissan 240sx around my area between Rockford and Chicago. Only way to get one is to go out of state. I did find one though white 95 240sx SE nice loved it and for sale but the dealer is being a prick about it. KBB is asking between 3k to 2k and he is asking for $6,200 and the miles are 98,992 and auto too. So having hard time with buying a car. Question now I know why the 240s are light, rearwheel, lsd, swaps and parts all over and I am going to get one but why not a 300zx, SC300, Supra, MR-2, 3000GT, RX-7 later years, or IS300s whats the reason for some of these!!?? I mean I know some of them can be expensive to buy and buy parts too but if some people have the money could they drift them also I know there will be a alot of weight reduction to the car!! This question is just for curious and want to know the reason and because I see people drifting others then 240s. Thanks just want to know!!

SamuraiX26

Comment

Are you having a hard time BUYING a car or FINDING a car?

What is your budget? That will make things easier for us, as it seems you are looking towards cars that you want, not what you can afford.

Generally speaking...all of the other cars that you mentioned, cost more than a 240sx. A 240sx is a tried and trusted formula. Great potential. Lots of parts. End of story. The other cars that you mentioned, not only tend to cost more, but there isn't as much aftermarket support. Less parts = more expensive. That....and it will cost more money just to make it competitive for drifting. Example, RS-R S2000. They had to reengineer the vehicle to make it more "drift" friendly.

Comment

I know what your talking about just wanting know why aren't like 300zx or Supra Ive seen few of SC300 running around in the drift seen because like I see some of the pros running a 350z in the drift seen but I know they went out to do alot of modifing and weight reduction to them. Oh its a budget deal and having hard time trying get one and to find one. I did find one in the Chicago area White 95 240sx SE 98,992 miles on it and auto too going to check it out but I did talk to the guy on the phone and was a prick about selling the car. KBB said its worth around 2 or 3k but he is asking 6k maybe try will and deal him I don't know shot dark maybe so. What do you think I should do or do you know of anybody selling around the IL state area!!?? I do want a 240sx just having a hard time trying to get one and find one too. My budget to buy the car is under 6k but would like to get the car for 2 or 3k if possible. Thats why I have alot of money still left or to keep saving for the car and upgrades later!!?? Any ideas let me know! Thanks!!

SamuraiX26

Comment

Working...
                                X