Is this a good plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good plan?

Like the title implies...I am wondering if this plan that I have setup is a good idea or are there some parts that are unnecessary. I know some people have one opinion while someone else has one completely different. I ask that you not only give your opinion but try to explain why I should go that route. I'm trying to keep the fighting to a minimum. So, with that in place...here we go:

1. Purchase a 95-99 240 in fair to good condition. Look for frame rust and major body problems (twisted frame; twisted body; etc...).

2. Learn to drive the car. Then, after that, small and simple suspension mods (struts/coilovers/anti-roll bars/etc...)

3. Learn to drift the car consistently to where I can enter a drift without a whole lot of effort (I can walk a rocket on one wheel for miles and the learning concept was the same...once I could bring it up consistenly and easily I learned throttle control and weight distribution.)

4. After (and only after) I can drift the car AND my drifting performance/technique is limited by the cars power, consider an SR20 swap or turbo the KA (now this is where I'm looking for most of the opinions.) With the added power I will obviously have to upgrade the suspension and make the frame/body/entire car stiffer (IE roll cage).

5. Make the car look a little better...maybe an S15 KIT or a full S14.5 CONVERSION.

Thats my plan. But it has been very condensed. I know there will be a lot of little and VERY EXPENSIVE steps in between. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

it sounds like a pretty decent plan. dont forget to fix anythnig that is wrong with the car when ro buy it (ie leaky radiator hose, bad gaskets, etc.). As far as suspension get a good pair of coilovers and suspension arms. after market sway bars are overrated. Dont forget an LSD, and decent tires. as far as buying stuff it would look something like this:
    1. the car
    2. maintenance
    3. LSD
    4. coilovers
    5. suspension arms
    6. bucket seat and other interior parts
    7. wheels and tires
    for wheels and tires do go bigger than 17" wheels, and get some good tires in front and cheap stuff to help you slide in the rear.

Comment

imo the most important thing is track time and going to events.

then in order for me or after what i have got what helped the most was;
      0.lots of practice and maintnence when you brake things
      1 coilovers, good kind its worth it to save up 400$ more and get a high quality coilovers looking back i wish i had
      2 clutch type lsd
      3 seat

then by now you can take if from there on what you think you need

Comment

Your plan seems good, far better than a lot of people.

It's good that you understand knowing the car is more important than mods and that you don't plan to just jump right into drifting. I think this is a fatal step for many(fatal may be the wrong word, lol). Drifting is so much easier when you understand the car well and know its limits and quirks...so much easier. There's no guessing. You just know it will behave a certain way. I also feel this makes driving a car at its limits a much safer endevour.

The first car I drifted, I owned for 4 years prior. I knew every little neuance and behavior and knew its limits like the back of my hand. Drifting came amazingly easy after I understood the techniques. Control and safety came from knowing the car so well. I almost wasn't possible to get into an accident. I knew the car so well, I wouldn't ever subconsciously let myself push it further than what I could get away with. You just kind of know.

Moving on...

The plan seems well. After you get to know the car and learn its limits and begin to drift it, you'll begin to see its weak points. This is when you start modding. You'll be able to pick and choose components that are needed to improve the handing and drifting behavior of the car...as opposed to just throwing stuff at it. You'll know what's needed after you start drifting. The common upgrades will become blindingly obvious as well when you start drifting, like bucket seats or an LSD. If done right, expensive doesn't have to be part of the plan.

As far as car choice, a 240SX is a proven drifter. You'll be happy with it. I'd suggest not focusing on it too much or make it a "must have" as the car isn't the most important factor, and any car is driftable. A well balanced, rwd, car is best of course, like the 240SX, but there are many other options.

Comment

yeah...SDtouge

1. good brake pads
          2. L.S.D
          3. maybe some springs/struts
          4. a good seat/harness
          5. a good clutch?
          6. a good attitude

follow these 6 steps and you'll be ready for an event good luck!
          Last edited by NHDrifter; 07-05-2005, 07:50 PM. Reason: mispelt struts

Comment

Working...
          X