I wanna buy an Rx7 but need input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna buy an Rx7 but need input

im thinking of buying an 87 Rx7 Turbo for 1,500 with an Cracked Cylinder so it leaks but they said if i buy it for 3,500 they woulf fix the leak and everything seems to be in great condition. It has 129,000 miles on it Should i get it? i really wanna know. This is going to be my first bought car for Moding and such so i wanted some input.

Ray

wtf, cylinder?

apparently someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

Comment

i dont know.... thats what they told me... this is my first time buying a car...

Comment

One of the piston seals leaks oil or something. i forgot exactly what he said...

Comment

well the engine doesn't at least.
          could be a master or slave cylinder perhaps?

Comment

ok, first of all it can't be any piston problems cuz rx7 doesn't have pistons.
            Anyone thats anyone, knows that. And if you dont know how to work on rx7s,i highly recommend you not get one. And if you can't even remember whats the matter with the car,than dont bother try getting it.

So I say,don't get it.Not worth it to you. And if you have never worked on
            rotaries engines or have no friends that have experience with rotaries, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU NOT GET A RX-7. Inexperience skills and rotary engines do not go together. But if your dead set on wanting a rx7 to learn
            about "modding" find a n/a model.

What you should do is wait it out. Dont be a fool and jump on the
            first car you see.This is how you'll get screw over, and short in cash.
            If you wait, I bet you can find a good running fc t2 for $2500,but this is your first time buying a car,so I sugguest you dont get a T2.Trust me.
            But go find a reliable n/a fc.Usually around $1500 and under. Then use that as a bases for learning about rotaries and engine mods.

Comment

Im sure you could find a better deal, But if you've got your heart set on this one..Take it to a mechanic before you do anything..Because these people seem like they either dont know what they're talking about..Or they're hoping you wont know any better and pay them extra money for no real reason. An extra 2000 to stop a leak in a Rotary engine is outrageous. So, Take it to a mechanic..See what they say about it but even if there is a " leak " do not pay 2 grand to them to get it fixed, You can find remanufactured rotaries for about 2000..Thats like a whole new engine. In the long run though, You'd probably be better off just waiting and looking around for the best deal..Because one will come up eventually that will be alot better deal. If you can pay up to 3500 for an FC..You will be able to find a really good one, Even at 1500 you'll be able to find a good one..it may just take a little time. Check out this forum www.rx7club.com You'll beable to learn alot more about the FC and Rotary in general.

Comment

Thanks guys, Sorry i dont know what im talking about... kinda new to the street racing or better yet, cars in general. i got into all this because of a couple friends and stories they tell me. Anyways enough about me Thanks.

Comment

The least you could do is take it for a test drive... if it's not in driving condition, it needs to be MUCH cheaper... and if you don't have the knowledge to fix whatevers wrong with it...well, not only should you avoid that car, you should probably avoid buying an old car all together.

I bought an 89 non-turbo for $400, and it was in fairly good condition, minus the fact that it's missing a few minor parts, and I had to overhaul the engine...

Comment

Originally posted by FCDreamer
                    Thanks guys, Sorry i dont know what im talking about... kinda new to the street racing or better yet, cars in general. i got into all this because of a couple friends and stories they tell me. Anyways enough about me Thanks.
                    LOL you said street racing hahaha...

Comment

street racing? this isn't a street racing forum. if thats what you're planning on buying this rx-7 for, please don't. that would be a waste of a 7

Comment

Originally posted by sukimoto
                        street racing? this isn't a street racing forum. if thats what you're planning on buying this rx-7 for, please don't. that would be a waste of a 7
                        ^Agreed. I bought my 90 NA for 650 cause it was flooded. My dad knew it but I didn't. I was just like you, FCDreamer, I had planned on street racing and what not. I remember telling one of my friends that i wanted to get cams first...haha. Back on topic, I ended up letting the motor overheat, thus the coolant seals were done. Because of my lack of knowledge the car became more and more of a problem. I had to rebuild the motor, requiring a daily driver to take place of the FC. All in all, buy something else. Buy something simple and reliable. FC's need work.

Comment

im thinking of buying an 87 Rx7 Turbo for 1,500 with an Cracked Cylinder so it leaks but they said if i buy it for 3,500 they woulf fix the leak and everything seems to be in great condition. It has 129,000 miles on it Should i get it? i really wanna know. This is going to be my first bought car for Moding and such so i wanted some input.

Ray
                          yes, buy it.is a very good deal. dont mind what others tell you. rx7 are know for being great realiable cars, great on gas consumption and for being extremly fast.(thats why you see so many on the street ) great for yours street racing needs too.buy the rx7 and go get them tiger

Comment

I too was blinded by the 7 when I bought it.

Comment

Only other bad thing about Rotaries is they consume oil to about a quart between changes (every 3000 miles)

Comment

Working...
                              X