ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cars are Good and affordable for drifting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cars are Good and affordable for drifting???

im a noob to drifting!!! and i need help choosing my car!! im getting it used of course and im gonna fix it up. so of course i want it cheap!! name any cars you think are good for a begginer!! im willing to pay up to a range of $12,000 so yeah that means if i can ebay motor it that price...let me kno

Originally posted by driftxraven
    im a noob to drifting!!! and i need help choosing my car!! im getting it used of course and im gonna fix it up. so of course i want it cheap!! name any cars you think are good for a begginer!! im willing to pay up to a range of $12,000 so yeah that means if i can ebay motor it that price...let me kno
    WTF?!

Since when is spending up to 12k on a car consider cheap????!!!!

Comment

As with any kind of motorsport you NEED to realize that you should never fall in love with the car and must be able to walk away from it at any time. If you are not willing to push your car off a cliff repeatedly then don't use it for more than a daily driver.

Figure out what you can afford, and what you can afford to fix.

I reccomend learning how to grip before you drift. Autocross, lapping days, karting, roadracing. There is alot of lessons and skills you pickup grip racing, and it usually is far cheaper, especially since you break far fewer things. To drift properly you must be on the edge, and if you don't know where that edge is it will usually bite you when it finds you.

I also reccomend starting with a car that is already setup correctly. This will take alot of frustration out of the learning curve, as you can focus just on your driving. If you feel you must build your own car then buy something that there is already an established market for drift specific parts.

Cars I reccomend for a first drift car.

S13
      miata
      AE86
      RX7 FC
      BMW 325is
      Volvo 240 with either turbo or 351 swap

Of course anything can drift. If you really want to learn don't buy a flashy car just to be cool, buy something you can really learn in untill you are at a point where a flashy car isn't wasted on you.

Comment

s13 all the way

Comment

i kinda wish i built somthin different... s13's are everywhere..

Comment

Originally posted by BenR
            As with any kind of motorsport you NEED to realize that you should never fall in love with the car and must be able to walk away from it at any time. If you are not willing to push your car off a cliff repeatedly then don't use it for more than a daily driver.
            same theory goes for women.........

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierDrifter
              i kinda wish i built somthin different... s13's are everywhere..

theres a reason for that. same reason people run used ls1 4th gens in FS in solo, Mini Cooper S in GS, and 89 Civic Si's in STS. its cheap, and it freaking works.

too many people try to be different when theres a reason everyone else goes for the cheap adn easy way. it works.

Comment

I agree s13/14 or fc. I have people that dont drift drive my car and tell me how easy it is to drive sideways. My Manager borrowed my car when I had his truck to move and he gave it back with a big old grin on his face and couldnt believe how controlled it was when it was sideways. Its a great chassis and about the cheapest reliable drift car you can find. I have 200k on my car and I beat on it all day long at events usually twice a month and have had no serious problems. Def. great for the money.

Comment

forget what everyoneelse is telling you, you need to buy a honda, any kind. have you heard of FWD drifting ?? the shizznits

Comment

BenR's got the right idea.

New to drifting = cheap *Censored**Censored**Censored* car to beat on. Think $500 rather than 12k. Think expendable. You crash, you don't care.

Start learning driving skills if you have none. Work on basic control skills. Work on grip and slowly bring yourself up to the grip limit. Know where it is and how it changes with user input. Learn some basic physics concepts. Know what's actually going on. Get a good understanding of concepts like weight transfer and traction circles. Know why a car does something and know methods to manipulate the car's behavior. Learn the drift techniques, what they are and how they work. Practice. Then practice some more. This process of learning the car and understanding techniques will probably take months, especially if you're new to the concept of actually driving your car fast.

Also, there are a lot of good articles on this forum explaining techniques, what they are and how they work. Use the Search feature and do some reading.

Comment

buy a car that your not afraid to beat the $#!T out of. s13, 86, mkII supra ect.
                      stay away from cars that are hard to find parts for. you will learn faster if you are not afraid to bang up ur car a little. i had a mkII p type and just bashed it around pure stock. you dont need power, all you need is time and practice.

Comment

bish please, buy a tacoma :P

Comment

if it helps i started drifting in a R32 skyline (unfortuently i believe you cant get them in the us) then the other week at a praccy day here in australia i jumped in a S13 for the very 1st time, and absolutely loved it, so ive gone and sold my skyline and bought a C33 laurel which is the same chassis as a silvia but has a RB20DET (soon to be replaced with a SR20DET) for the engine, should be an interesting build and ill post pics as soon as i get my arse into gear, just coming into winter though so not sure if ill do much

Comment

S13. Cheap, easy to work on, easy to maintain. Huge aftermarket support and a well looked after stock engine will take beating after beating. It's also a forgiving car stock, it's not grip-happy like an FC tends to be nor is it spin-happy like the short wheelbase Miata.

Get one with a clean frame and solid engine. Do a full coilover suspension, bucket seat and then LSD. Add seat time, wash, rinse and repeat, repeat repeat and repeat again until tire smoke smells better than waking up to bacon and eggs on a Sunday morning. Don't touch anything beyond suspension or drivetrain components until the engine is holding you back. THEN go turbo.

B-Wurm
                            Last edited by Buddyworm; 04-10-2006, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Tell ya what come to louisiana and ill give you a s13 for like half of what your spending! Haha jk... But seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X