Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gurls drifting..wut will they think of next

new project..

my 1990 240 isnt all that great right now and i need a new motor[along with alot of other things], im thinkin of getting a silvia front clip and rhd conversion from cartune in dallas. wut do ya think? any feedback and ideas i should roll with?

What's the point of either of those mods? Do you want a show-car, or a drifter? I would focus on more relavant mods, such as suspension, drivetrain, brakes and engine before cosmetic stuff like a Silvia front clip and making it RHD... (by the way, RHD would likely be more than a little dangerous on the road... what if you want to pass someone? you can't see around their car easily).

anyway, if you're interested in drifting, forget the cosmetic mods until you are a good enough drifter that you don't hurt the cosmetics you paid so much for. Also, work on making the car handle better before you try to make it look better.

Comment

malcolm, does your race car sound like the devil? I'd imagine it would...

Oh yea, about drifting...listen to malcolm. I think she's talking about doing an SR20, hence the entire clip thing. It's your money, so if you want to go SR do it up. As far as RHD, that is useless junk. Don't bother.

Why exactly do you "need" a new motor?

Comment

yeah, it does sound pretty good... it's got a pretty harsh cam in it (yes, this engine has one cam, and two heads... not the other way around!), so it rumbles a fair bit. the 7 litre motor (422 ci) apparently sounds very good winding out up the backstraight of Mosport.

Comment

RHD will only hurt you. Not only will this make merging, passing, and overall driving difficult, but assuming you are right handed, this will make shifting much more difficult. And the last thing you want is to end your glorious drift by locking the wheels and spinning out from a poor downshift. Anyways I would say unless the motor is a) broken b) non existant or c) leaking an amount of fluid equal to the amount you are pouring in, I would stick with the KA. I would instead spend your money on shocks, springs, and maybe even driving lessons/track time.

Comment

yea with the front clip i wasnt talkin bout looks but the motor..b/c mine will cost like 2k to fix so im just getting a new one, and ive been worried about getting rhd..not so sure i could drive it well. thanks guys

Comment

if you want to learn how to drift, just take your 240 out now and try it. get some coil overs and a 1.5 way lsd. sum slight chasis mods ie strut bars and maybe (im not a big fan of them) sway bars and try out drifting. than if you have moeny left over just find your local importer, and pick up a redtop and get a fmic, dp and exhuast and fuel pump and your set darlin

Comment

Meh, dont worry about coilovers. The minute adjustablility they offer is NOT neededu nless this car will be nothing but a track car: and a goot set of adjsutable coilovers costs around twice as much as a good set of adjustable gas shocks ans springs.

Anyways: I agree with most of the people above me.

The FIRST most important thing you can do to your car is to fix EVERYTHING that needs to be fixed before worrying about anything else. If you can pick up a cheap thing here and there; go for it but its not really worth it.

After youve fixed it up start learning on your car as-is. Maybe add a better intake and exhaust system, along with sounding better and freeing up a bit of power, you increase your cars throttle response.. if your into drifting i dont think i have to tell you why thats important for cornering sideways.

Next work on the suspension: Upgrade the shocks and springs. Adjust front and rear would be reccomended... spring rates are up to you. Keep in mind for the most part softert springs then what you have in the rear will promite oversteer. drifting is easier like this as the car wants to naturaly tuck in. Just the opposite for stiffer spring; understeer. your car will resist the turn in and tucking in- you also need to be heavier on the throttle if yo uwant to increase the angle with understeer.

Next as mentioned get some strutbars. These reduce side to side chassis flexing, which will not only keep ur chassis alive longer by strengthening it but they add "Feeling" to the car. The stiffer the chassis is the easier it is for the drive to feel what the car is doing through the steering wheel and such.

Also agree about the rhd thing, bad idea. Shifting becomes tricky, changing lanes really isnt.. i mean think how hard it is now to change to the right... Now itll be easy to go right and harder to go left. But the price to go rhd is NOT worth it, gotta put a hole in the firewall move the master brake cylinder might have to redo the engine to make space for the steering coloumn etc. just not worth the price.

Anyways Good luck on the learning process and sorry to make this so long; its nice to see some women in the circle.

Bottom line: Fix it up, make it track worthy- then worry about cosmetic. Dunno about you but id rather smash my cheap and stock body while learning, then to crash my expensive body kit or whatever.

Added:

Btw.. if thats u in that picture ur pretty hot

Comment

yall really helped and rhd is deff outta the picture still gotta get the front clip tho so i can start driving my car again.

Comment

It's good to have another (as if there are a lot of them) girl in the scene, but like most girls tend to do (no offense), you focused too much on cosmetics. Now that you're all straightened out hehe. If you want to drift, get good quality spings (THOU SHALT NOT CRIMP THY STOCK SPRINGS!!!), a new steering wheel and hub from a decent company (no APC garbage), and an LSD. The LSD will help you out a lot, and it's not only useful for drifting, it helps you out with power transfer in general. BTW, since you just got this car, and I'm sure it looks pretty stock, stay way from Razo shift knobs, underglow lights, fuzzy stuff in your interior, metal pedals and all that crap you don't need. Keep it simple, less stupid crap you'll have to maintain (underglow is a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* ). Keep in mind while you do your modifications that with every mod you do, you put more money into a car you'll never get out of the car once you sell it, so make sure this car is really the one for you.

Comment

You dont really need a whole front clip to replace your engine, just the engine itself. Look around, check junkyards.. and i hate to say it but look at ebay, do your research before hand though.

Aboud the lsd; i highly suggest a clutch type 1.5 way. best for newcomers to drifting, 2 ways can be pretty ahrd to learn on.

1way: equal power to both wheels on acceleration

1.5way: equal power on acceleration and half power to the inner wheel on deceleration

2way: full power on both acceleratio nand deceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by malcolm
                        yeah, it does sound pretty good... it's got a pretty harsh cam in it (yes, this engine has one cam, and two heads... not the other way around!), so it rumbles a fair bit. the 7 litre motor (422 ci) apparently sounds very good winding out up the backstraight of Mosport.
                        8 slugs plus a harsh cam and some pretty open pipes sounds better then anything out of japan, ever. Sorry guys, hehe.

On topic, the best thing you can do is fix the car (swap, I suppose) and drive it like that for a while. It will take you a bit to get used to how the new setup runs.

malcolm, you got a PM.

Comment

Um...she never said anything about a front end conversion, body kits, APC poo or any of that. For those of you who were trying to act smart and say that she shouldnt opt for cosmetics first, a front clip consists of engine, transmission, front suspension, and all that goodness from the front of the car. There are no headlights, bumpers, or other sillyness. HA

Comment

true, but what's the point of all that if she doesn't have the experience to use that suspension, engine, etc to it's potential? She should use what she has now, and learn with that. Then she should start upgrading things... But a front clip, in my opinion, isn't really necessary, even if it includes all those goodies.

Comment

thanks Uberspeed

Comment

Working...
                              X