Drifting - A fad - prove me wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting - A fad - prove me wrong!

So we all know that drifting is far from a fad... but alot of import / car enthusiasts are putting that label on it.

What do YOU tell people who say that drifting is just a fad?

I personally cite:
    - sold out crowds at all D1 events
    - sold out grassroots events like DG trials, drift day, and drift showoff
    - factory participation from Mopar, GM, and now Ford
    - Aero parts specifically designed for "drifting"
    - interest from such a wide range of drivers (rally, solo 2, drag, road race, etc)
    - FD and (at some point) WDC american-based drifting series

what else can you point to as a statement proving that D1 is far from a fad?

I simply say to these guys...

"Good, Meaning you won't be around much then? Last thing we need is another FAD boy that keeps telling us its a FAD."

If you have been around from Speedtrial USA Group C. and Club4ag Drift Days You would not say its a fad.

Those were the days that drifting started around South Cal.

-Al

Comment

"drifting is as old as 4 wheels B*aatch!!"

Comment

Originally posted by .Al

If you have been around from Speedtrial USA Group C. and Club4ag Drift Days You would not say its a fad.

-Al

I remember Speedtrials back at Buttonwillow...that's been like 3 or 4 years now! damn im old.

Comment

Originally posted by .Al
          I simply say to these guys...

"Good, Meaning you won't be around much then? Last thing we need is another FAD boy that keeps telling us its a FAD."

If you have been around from Speedtrial USA Group C. and Club4ag Drift Days You would not say its a fad....

-Al
          Yup, that's where I started drifting my GT-R. Good old days!
          Hubert Young
          KORE 8 Films

Comment

Originally posted by swifty949
            I remember Speedtrials back at Buttonwillow...that's been like 3 or 4 years now! damn im old.
            Yes!

Driving my 86 for 7 hours. 2 Days event. Driving back home for another 7 hours.

That was just insane! I love streets of willows tho. Those were the days till they banned drifting. LOL.

Drift Day 4! Was the best evar event that was held on Willows.

I hope to have another one of those event. No Media, No Sponsors, No BS! It was just all fun and JUST DRIFT!

-Al

Comment

anyone know what year DG Trials and/or drift day was started??

Comment

I don't talk about driting, or go into detail at least when ricers ask me questions. I don't want them getting into the sport, it will wreck it. We don't need a special on 60 minutes about an illegal and dangerous "fad" thats killing teens everywhere. I'd rather people not know what driting is than have them talk about it like they've been raised doing it. I've already heard kids talking about trying to drift there civics, just because they "drifted" in NFS:U2,which we all know is fake.It makes me sick and pissed off! I don't think drifting is a fad though, my geuss is that it will become very popular like street racing and so on. Especially if fast and the furious 3 has drifting in it(ive heard many rumors),then everyone and there lil brother will be out there understeering there moms accords into curbs and telephone polls.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd
                  anyone know what year DG Trials and/or drift day was started??

www.driftday.com

I believed 2001. But even before they had Drift Day 1 we always had that Speedtrial USA / Club4ag thing.

-Al

Comment

Car Control Group C.

Comment

[QUOTE=Slapshotnerd]- Aero parts specifically designed for "drifting"
                      [QUOTE]
                      i dont want drifting to become a fad as much as the next guy but most "drifting" aero kits just attach the drifting name to the name of the aero kit to sell product.

Comment

I was more referring to
                        a - more widebody kits being created for RWD cars with drifting in mind
                        b - parts like Rhys Millen's diffuser, which are being created specifically for drifting. While this is the first part of it's kind, don't expect it to be the last!

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd
                          I was more referring to
                          a - more widebody kits being created for RWD cars with drifting in mind
                          b - parts like Rhys Millen's diffuser, which are being created specifically for drifting. While this is the first part of it's kind, don't expect it to be the last!
                          I don't really understand why you made this thread. There's been a few like it already. Do you not like drifting? Fad or not, I think there's going to be several people doing it, in-thin or not.

Comment

this thread will just start drama...but I remember autocross at qualcomm stadium being an excuse to go drift...lol..my old chevy S-10 w/ silverado LSD, fat MKIV supra wheels in flat black..run whatcha brung! that was like .. 98-99?

Comment

i dont think its a fad but i also dont think its the only automotive sport to build your dream around. but the problem is, its marketable, full of pride, basiclly its now americanized. so were ganna have the kids in civics causing responsible poeple to loose there car to corrupt cops just because its japanese and modified. were now going to have reckless driving thrown at us for having a 240 parked with a nice paint job.

i dont think parts for pure drifting suits me well, there not needed. its about driving skill not a fat wallet!

Comment

Working...
                              X