• Time
  • Show
Clear All

#562 rite here

Comment

i signed up

Comment

As pointed out,...it will not happen.

1) Chassis. No other vehicle (in the US) would share the platform. All of Nissan's current passenger cars are FWD. (I'm not including SUVs or trucks).
        http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/CurrentVehicleLineup
        One of Nissan's biggest motivators is platform sharing. If no other car uses the same platform...I highly doubt Nissan will even consider this idea. Unless, you're talking about a modified 350Z chassis (which is an idea) but...

2) Engine. What engine do you propose to be used in this vehicle? The SR20 is a decade out design. The RB was phased out,...so the VQ now powers the "Skyline". They are not going to use an engine that is for one car and one car only. This brings back the idea of platform sharing.

3) Price. The 350Z and the G35 are near the $25k+ market. So, if you're expecting a sporty RWD vehicle for less than that...good luck.

Look at just these 3 factors alone. A vehicle w/ a unique chassis, a unique engine, at a bottom bunker low price (meaning low profit margin). This just isn't going to happen. I could elaborate w/ some more reasons why...but this is more than enough proof.

And as mentioned before. If you take a modified 350Z chassis, stuff in a modified VQ, and put a lower sticker price than the 350Z...you would undercut the 350Z.

"Mr. Nissan"....lol!

Comment

nissan had actually planned for the 240 sales to be low, they didnt want the S- series out selling the fairlady, as it did in Japan. So when it was brought over to the states they didnt have the turbo motor in it , this way sport enthusiaists would get the 300z with a turbo motor. I remember reading something about this from the head honcho of nissan.

I want a 350z to drift or a bmw...so whaatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
            I want the SILVIA... Forget the 240SX... i don't want the KA24DE motor...

Matt.
            I second that! I signed, #606.

Comment

im down~1

You have Mid west help im going to spam all local boards around here , lets make it happen!!! :-)

Comment

why not sign it?

#624...
                true its a dream but wtf why not...id love to see an s15 come to america..even if they do put some knock-off engine like a ka in it. besides.....there is something called an ENGINE SWAP..so ya i signed it.

Comment

sixhundred somthing lol i signed

Comment

damn you Carlos Ghosn. lol

Comment

I signed it... Who's the dimwit who said 240SX?

It's the Silvia we want... not the 240SX... Dimwit... !

I'll take it with an SR20DE ready to be turboed without a turbo... i.e. Block is same as Japanese version. Just needs headswap with turbo parts... They can make the Turbo parts a NISMO version or something and make a killing by selling it like that.

Matt.
                      Last edited by Craftsman; 09-15-2004, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Munch
                        when have these online petitions, especially for something like this, actually done something?

i HIGHLY doubt nissan will even bother with this, if they even know it exists.

but in any case, i signed as well.
                        There was one of these in the late 90's for the MR2. When toyota released the MR2-spyder, they noted that a strong demand from current mr2 owners was a leading factor in deciding to bring it back...

Comment

I hear they are coming out with a new "240", but not called 240 its like another higher number.haha. ...its a RWD affordable 2 door coupe, just rumors though...

Comment

661... low number.. still..

Comment

What exactly is wrong with the 240SX? Ask Bob Stretch just how good the KA24DE is, he's won several SCCA National Improved Touring championships with his S13.

The 240SX failed not because of a weak engine, because in fact a stock 240SX kept in performance company with its competitors - Honda Prelude, Toyota Celica, Mazda MX6, and other such cheap sporty coupes. The 240SX failed because of mainstream America's fear of RWD in the 80's (wet and snowy weather performance, mostly) as well as bland, forgettable styling.

S14's in particular were guilty of that.

Finally, there was the snowball effect of cost. As Nissan sold fewer and fewer 240SX's, they kept raising the cost to make back the import duties. By the end, 240SX prices were nearing the price of Monte Carlos, Thunderbirds, and other such personal near luxury coupes. Certainly a poor end to a fantastic car.

The only way that Nissan will consider another 240SX will be if the coupe version of the new BMW 1 series sells like wildfire worldwide and in the states AND if the bottom falls out of the sport compact sedan market. They've invested too much in bringing back the SE-R nameplate (including the full factory Speed World Challenge Team) to scrap the project and start clean sheet on the 240SX.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X