FC 13BT rebuild to 3mm or not to 3mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FC 13BT rebuild to 3mm or not to 3mm

Just wondering, i just recently bought an 88 TII 10th anniversary FC off E-Bay (Don't even go there, i know i'm a flucking idiot) and it had *drum roll* a blown apex seal. surprise surprise. anyways, i'll be rebuilding it in the spring, and i was wondering if it's worth my time to go 3mm steel instead of 2mm? I can't afford the ceramic seals, but the 3mm steel ones aren't too badly priced, just be expensive to have the rotors machined. Does anyone know from experience if it makes a big difference in engine life? I'd like to get around to drifting it, and i'll probably do some basic upgrades (exh, intake, suspension, FMIC) and i'd like to run it around 10-15 psi boost. And, i may also get like a street port or something. Is the street port worth the money for the power? and is the 3mm way better than the stock or aftermarket 2mm seals? Thanks.

3mm seals are a waste of money and hinder the motor if anything. Stock seals are good up and over 500whp. 3mm seals weigh are heavier so the chatter at lower revs than 2mm, and they will change port timing a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by theflatlander
      3mm seals are a waste of money and hinder the motor if anything. Stock seals are good up and over 500whp. 3mm seals weigh are heavier so the chatter at lower revs than 2mm, and they will change port timing a little bit.
      i agree. the stock ones are fine

Comment

stock seals work great !!! 3mm is a band aid and just asking for more clearance problems

Comment

RE Amemiya uses the stock seals on their race cars. If it's good enough for a JGTC race car it's good enough for me

Comment

alright cool, thanks. this info'll save me a lot of $$$, i'll stick w/ 2mm and i think i'm gonna get it mildly streetported while it's apart anyways. I was going to go with the rebuild kits from Atkins, any better ideas?????

Comment

how much power u looking to get out of you're motor? Also s4 blocks have a tendecy to crack on the dowel near the oil filter so u might want to do something about it if you're looking for more than 300whp, u can run a S5 endplate and it'll be fine.

Comment

trots, you should really go to the rx7 forums. i can name a few, they are very knowledgable and they help a lot. to name a few: www.teamfc3s.org, www.rx7clubs.com, nopistons.com, and fc3s.org they should have all the answers you seek welcome to the rotary community~!

Comment

get it bridge ported or j ported

bridge porting has a nice sound

j ports are kinda loud and are probly better for fuel injected cars i think bridge is more for carby rotors but i could be wrong im more of a pistons guy

Comment

I have always run 2mm seals in my race motors, but make sure you go with a 2mm, 2 piece apex seal. all the mazda remans now come with a 2 piece seals instead of the original 3 piece.

Comment

Originally posted by S13/R32
                      get it bridge ported or j ported

bridge porting has a nice sound

j ports are kinda loud and are probly better for fuel injected cars i think bridge is more for carby rotors but i could be wrong im more of a pistons guy
                      i think he wants his motor to last more than 15k miles, and will be driven on the streets. A full bridge+turbo and your looking in 700+hp area.

Comment

my RX2 has a 13B bridge ported, 48 IDA webber and extractors
                        i've never had any probs with its since it was ported

Comment

how big are your bridges? And i was mostly talking about j-bridges and bridged turbo motors. Also can i see some pics of your rx-2?, gotta love old school.
                          Last edited by theflatlander; 02-09-2005, 08:06 PM.

Comment

are you guys running standalones? i havent ported mine yet(havent rebuild mine yet) but after i do a street port, i plan to use a microtech ems(any comments are welcome or experience on the ltx12s)

Comment

what kind of power gains can you get from mild streetporting? and do you lose considerable bottom end by doing it or reduce your engine life?

Comment

Working...
                              X