No announcement yet.

FC 13BT rebuild to 3mm or not to 3mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it all depends on who dose the porting. different shops do different porting. I have seen "street ports" done by certain shops that are much smaller then other shops "street ports"
    I would recomend running a stand alone, especialy if you go with one of those bigger street ports.

Comment

Power gain depends on port timing, tuning and how much boost you'll be running, and a mild street port isn't gonna decrease engine life at all, and pending on what size turbo your gonna run your bottom end will be just as good if not better.

Comment

Trots,

Everybody hit the nail on the head about the apex seals. 3mm seals are nothing more than a crutch that allow poor tuning. 2mm 2 piece seals will be more than adequate.

As for porting your engine, a street port will not shorten the life span of your engine. You won't lose much bottom end if you even lose any. Both of my 7's have streetports. The FD has a mild port and the TII has huge streetports. Both of them are very civilized on the street and niether one has any lack of bottom end power. If you need a good shop then check out Judge Ito, Bryan Cain, Rotor Sports Racing, Pinneaple, KD Rotary, and/or Atkins rotary. And I would suggest checking them out in that order. As for the stand alone EMS, you need it if you are planning on going with big power. Anything at or over 300rwhp I would strongly suggest a stand alone. Check out the Haltech E6X or the Microtec setups. I don't have any experience with Microtec so I can't say good or bad about them. I have heard good things about that company though. I do have experience with Haltech so I would say go with them. They make a great product and they have pretty good prices depending on who you buy it from. As always, if you have any questions please feel free to PM me or email me at boostedrex@gmail.com

Vosko!!!!!!! Good to see you posting on here bro. How's the S13 doing? Missing rotaries much yet? Take care!

Zach

Comment

Originally posted by Boostedrex
          Trots,

Everybody hit the nail on the head about the apex seals. 3mm seals are nothing more than a crutch that allow poor tuning. 2mm 2 piece seals will be more than adequate.

As for porting your engine, a street port will not shorten the life span of your engine. You won't lose much bottom end if you even lose any. Both of my 7's have streetports. The FD has a mild port and the TII has huge streetports. Both of them are very civilized on the street and niether one has any lack of bottom end power. If you need a good shop then check out Judge Ito, Bryan Cain, Rotor Sports Racing, Pinneaple, KD Rotary, and/or Atkins rotary. And I would suggest checking them out in that order. As for the stand alone EMS, you need it if you are planning on going with big power. Anything at or over 300rwhp I would strongly suggest a stand alone. Check out the Haltech E6X or the Microtec setups. I don't have any experience with Microtec so I can't say good or bad about them. I have heard good things about that company though. I do have experience with Haltech so I would say go with them. They make a great product and they have pretty good prices depending on who you buy it from. As always, if you have any questions please feel free to PM me or email me at boostedrex@gmail.com

Vosko!!!!!!! Good to see you posting on here bro. How's the S13 doing? Missing rotaries much yet? Take care!

Zach
          Thanks a lot man, that info really helps me out. I was planning on staying pretty conservative with the power, i'm on a tyte budget so probably stock turbo for now and definately gonna be under 300 hp. Would i be able to get by on stock ECU with a piggy back if i port it, or will i still need a full EMS? and, are the factory Mazda rebuild kits w/ 2 piece 2mm seals the best kits to buy? or are the aftermarket kits better??

Comment

Originally posted by Trots*88TII-AE*
            Thanks a lot man, that info really helps me out. I was planning on staying pretty conservative with the power, i'm on a tyte budget so probably stock turbo for now and definately gonna be under 300 hp. Would i be able to get by on stock ECU with a piggy back if i port it, or will i still need a full EMS? and, are the factory Mazda rebuild kits w/ 2 piece 2mm seals the best kits to buy? or are the aftermarket kits better??
            if your doing a street port, you dont REALLY need a EMS or piggyback, it wont hurt you. if your doing a anything beyond a street port, its recommended to use a EMS, im not so sure on piggybacks, dont know if anyone has used this route of tuning. but it looks to me as if its more of a hassle with programing plug and play. as for the rebuild kits, i find nothing wrong with aftermarket. rotaryaviation sells basic kits for under 600 bucks or atkins rotary kits go for like 750. thats the cheapest you can find these kits around and they are very reputable and praised by rotary enthusiasts.

Comment

Trots,

The Mazda rebuild kit is fine. So is the Atkins kit though. I like Rotary Aviation, but I have had a few friends who have had trouble with their apex seals. Get with mazdatrix to get a rebuild kit if you don't feel like going with Atkins. About the EMS issue. You can run on a streetport with the stock EMS. I wouldn't recommend it. You can pick up a used Apex'i SAFC for $200. That would take care of your fuel needs until you could afford a nice Haltech or Microtech. I ran my FC for about a year with a HUGE streetport and I used the SAFC. I was running a Walbro 255 fuel pump, stock primary injectors, and 720cc secondaries. I never had any problems. Could boost up to 14psi. I'm very glad that I switched to a Haltech now though. Like always, let me know if I can be of any help.

Zach

Comment

Originally posted by Boostedrex
                Trots,

The Mazda rebuild kit is fine. So is the Atkins kit though. I like Rotary Aviation, but I have had a few friends who have had trouble with their apex seals. Get with mazdatrix to get a rebuild kit if you don't feel like going with Atkins. About the EMS issue. You can run on a streetport with the stock EMS. I wouldn't recommend it. You can pick up a used Apex'i SAFC for $200. That would take care of your fuel needs until you could afford a nice Haltech or Microtech. I ran my FC for about a year with a HUGE streetport and I used the SAFC. I was running a Walbro 255 fuel pump, stock primary injectors, and 720cc secondaries. I never had any problems. Could boost up to 14psi. I'm very glad that I switched to a Haltech now though. Like always, let me know if I can be of any help.

Zach
                yeah about the RA kit, i've heard a lot of problems with the apex seal springs flattening out real early, but if you use stock mazda springs it shouldnt be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by theflatlander
                  yeah about the RA kit, i've heard a lot of problems with the apex seal springs flattening out real early, but if you use stock mazda springs it shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard what about the RA seals was going bad. I knew that their seals were supposed to be great. So just use the stock Mazda seals then? I have a friend who just ordered a set too. I'll be sure to let him know.

Zach

Comment

the seals are actually really nice, just the springs wear out so if you can get just the RA seals w/o the springs and order some stock mazda apex seal springs then go for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X