No announcement yet.

Is Turbo'ed KA24 legal in California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Air Resources Board likes to take their freakin time. (They don't care about us, we need them.) Hopefully the Greddy kit attains smog legality.

Getting a turbocharged car to pass emissions is not that hard. SR20s can pass the sniffer, just not visual (which is a bunch of bologne anyways)

Remember, SMOG is a.k.a. "Government Business". So expect it to get more stringent, not more lax.

Comment

California's laws suck! You guys can't breath without a carb sticker.

People's Republic of California

Comment

Like I said, there are currently no California street-legal turbo kits for the 240SX. If you want to go turbo, buy a kit based on the performance and reliability it can provide. For about the same money as the GReddy kit you can have 240whp and drive it every day with the NSport kit.

I don't work for NSport or anything of the sort, I have just driven a few cars with their kits and they rock. Its not a cheap as some, but I can tell you it works.

Comment

earlier someone said catback exausts are street legal. This is not always true. They may have a CARB number, but if it is above 95db or whatever the cop decides is too loud, then it is still illegal.

Comment

Make him work for it, in most cases they will just leave you alone, its not worth the hassle.
            Man you must not get pulled over alot. You try actually asking a cop why he wants to do anything and you get trouble. They automatically think you have something to hide and therefore you are screwed. Cops are like wild dogs, don't run from them, don't look em in the eyes, for god sakes don't feed em cause you'll never run em off and try to act as non-threatening as you can, you'll be better off. Actually a new law passed that they do not have to have probable cause to search your car for drugs any longer and since that is usually the standard reason they use, they can pop your hood whenever they want and there ain't a thing you can do about it. California has always boggled my mind. You guys are supposed to the be the "Car" state. The state that is the Hot Rod capitol of the world yet it's the hardest place in the entire world it seems to have a fast car. Nothing against you guys in Cali but your state sucks.

Whats funny is that I have never even seen an OE sticker or whatever you call it. Hell man, we don't even have emissions tests where I live. 30 mins outside Atlanta they don't have emissions tests. It's the land of no cats and free exhaust. Cars are allowed to breath and everyone is happy. Shoot, if you roll up to the local choke and puke in a Skyline, you are more likely to get stopped so they can check it out cause they have never seen a right hand drive car than you are to get harrassed. Makes me wonder why all the cool sports go to Cali first..... Seems a waste of time and money to me. I'd rather sell parts in a place that I didn't have to shell out the moolah to get em CARB certified.

Comment

Originally posted by UberSpeed
              earlier someone said catback exausts are street legal. This is not always true. They may have a CARB number, but if it is above 95db or whatever the cop decides is too loud, then it is still illegal.
              catback exhaust dont need a carb number, they do not affect emmsions at all, they must just be under a noise limit wich is probably different through out the states.

Comment

Originally posted by UberSpeed
                Yes thats true, but if you read what I wrote...

Originally posted by Whisky
                cat-back exhaust is smog legal because it is after the cat, so it has no emissions equipment
                You'll see that I said "smog legal." I've been harassed for both noise and so-called "smog law" "violations" before. I'm always very polite, but I'm not going to back down to a cop over my rights. There are 4 cops (two LAPD, one LASD, and one CHP, got em all covered) that live within 100 yards of me, so I'm used to dealing with them, but if they try to impinge on my rights, they can kiss my...

Besides, turbo cars, ceteris paribus, tend to be quieter than naturally aspirated because of the sound absorbed by the turbo itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                  Hell man, we don't even have emissions tests where I live. 30 mins outside Atlanta they don't have emissions tests. It's the land of no cats and free exhaust. Cars are allowed to breath and everyone is happy. Shoot, if you roll up to the local choke and puke in a Skyline, you are more likely to get stopped so they can check it out cause they have never seen a right hand drive car than you are to get harrassed. Makes me wonder why all the cool sports go to Cali first..... Seems a waste of time and money to me. I'd rather sell parts in a place that I didn't have to shell out the moolah to get em CARB certified.
                  alright its official i am going to college in ga, is the whole state like this ? or just the "boondock" towns. can i live with you jayPLEASEEEEEEE im sure the misses will love me, i make great fried chicken
                  Last edited by Wayne; 02-14-2005, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne
                    alright its official i am going to college in ga, is the whole state like this ? or just the "boondock" towns. can i live with you jayPLEASEEEEEEE im sure the misses will love me, i make great fried chicken
                    Actually...Most of the South-Eastern United States is like this. Just so you aren't too close to any major cities, most people really don't care too much if your car has an engine it's not supposed to have, or if it doesn't pass emissions. In fact, alot of locally owned places don't even really do emissions testing. If they do,alot of the time it's not by emissions testing equipment, but they just listen to how your exhaust sounds. Also, alot of places won't even look under your car to make sure you have a cat unless they have reason to believe that you don't have one.

Comment

Working...
                    X