1986 Rx-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Rx-7

my friend wants to buy a 1986 Rx-7 for $500. Theres a 50/50 chance it might run. It needs a new battery and some gas. Its white with a perfect body. I think it has over 100,000 miles on it. The first question i have is it worth him buying it. Second what all needs to be done to make it raceable and how much will it cost?

Well first thing I would say is take a battery and some gas and that will tell you all you need to know right there. NVER buy a car you think will run. Always make sure it runs before you buy if thats what you want. If it doesn't run try and find out why but 500 bucks for a non running 86 Rx7 is not good. You would be better off looking around. I got my RHD Farilady the other day for 300 and drove it home. Granted that's a rare find but other than the RHD it's not that rare.

If it don't run then keep looking. You will find one I am sure. Talk to EVERYONE. Trust me it works.

Comment

the life span of a 12A is only around 100 000 before it needs a rebiuld.

Comment

Originally posted by ///FiveOneOh
        the life span of a 12A is only around 100 000 before it needs a rebiuld.
        he has an FC so it would have a 13b, and depended how its taken care of i've seen them go past 200k

Comment

$500 with a straight body is a good deal... i bought my 86 GXL for $1600 and i only drove it about 6,000 miles before it died.... so if you bought one for $500 and bought a $1000 motor for it you'd still be beating my deal cuz you'll have a motor with ZERO miles on it... i say go for it.

Comment

just found out today its been sitting behind my friends house for over ten years

Comment

even if by some miracle you got it started you'd have to replace nearly every thing on the car. I'd say if the body is in good condition and you have the money to get a new or used motor, plus whatever repairs buy it. if not get something running good.

Comment

Originally posted by theflatlander
                even if by some miracle you got it started you'd have to replace nearly every thing on the car. I'd say if the body is in good condition and you have the money to get a new or used motor, plus whatever repairs buy it. if not get something running good.
                Why buy a used motor,that's just a quick fix.
                If its been sitting for 10 years,that motor will most likely need work.Also,what model are we talking about? If its N/A,blah.If its turbo and you have $1200,do a master rebuild,then start doing the reliability mods.Don't slap on an exhaust and intake,then start topping it out,guranteed to slowly kill your engine.The *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* about rotarys,you have to remap fuel a lot.Or you can just skip that,and dump even more money for repairs you would have never had.

Comment

Id get it, but I love FCs. Mine cost me $500 too. All '86s are NAs. And they are not blah. You can get 300 hp out of a na 13b. That should be plenty for anybody. And actually it is good to redline the engine about once a day. Rotaries love to run/rev. Well, its up to you.

Comment

You are right, you can get 300 out of a n/a but odds are if he is looking to spend only 500 on the car then he isn't going to be able to spend near the amount of money it is going to take to get 300 out of it. Plus the suspension, interior or whatever else a 10 year old car is going to need.

If you want it to sit in your driveway and slowly make you mad, then get it. My advice to you is to buy something running. It is alway much better to start modifying something that runs versus buying something that doesn't run and you are so exceited to have it that you divide your money between getting it running and turning into what you want that you get sidetracked, waste money and never finish the project.

I've done that so many times I can't count.

Comment

Im not saying the guy even intends to see numbers in the 300 range. I was just was defending the NA 13b. Yeah if you only have $500 and no job. Dont get it. If you have money to get it into shape, Go for it.

Comment

Jugdment Day

I put some new gas in it and jumped the battery and, it didn't turn over. My friends and I were so not disapointed. I told my friend to offer around $100-$200. Is it worth him geting or should he back away. he has a JOB and is willing to put a good amount of money into geting it into shape.

Comment

Umm...if he has money to invest. It is worth the $500. If the guy goes for 100-200, hes nuts.

Comment

when you bought your Rx-7 for 500 did it run or was it dead

Comment

Needed a fuel pump. Tail lights didnt work (short). Windshield wipers worked at only one speed. Torn drivers seat. And now it needs new injectors. You just gotta realize you are going to have problems with 20 year old cars. Oh and it had 130K miles but a beautiful body. Silver. I still havent gotten a carbon fiber hood. Hmm...

Comment

Working...
                              X