Turbo kits worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo kits worth it?

Well ive owned my '98 240sx for a year now with minor mods (AEM Ram Intake,HKS Circle Earth Grounding Kit,APEXi N1 cat-bak exhaust, ACT clutch,GREDDY shift knob and Eibach Sportline Springs Koni Adjustable Struts.)
    but i wanna get more into it. So im thinking about going turbo. Is the Greddy kit at $3000 or the XS Engineering at $3549-$4000. a better way to go than the SR20DET swap from a S13 or S14? and does any one where to get a top mount intercooler or who makes them?
    Last edited by S14-Kidd; 01-11-2004, 11:39 AM.

Are you asking which will give you more HP? or more tuneablity?

A KA with a Turbo puts out alot of HP and Torque. But a SR has unlimited number of mods avaible for it...

I'd rather go with a 89' with a CA18 but since you got a newer verison SR20 from a S14 is your best bet, It makes heaps of power and will be futher tuneable down the road.

Comment

It will also be much more reliablie than a KA turbo. How many miles are on the motor?

Comment

Well there around the same price. Your gonna gwt higher inital hp with the ka, but small mods can boost the sr way past it.

Comment

the KA has about 73k miles on it but babied for 70k of em(older woman owned it) An i dont wanna get too high in the rwhp numbers right now,around 260, just looking for more reliablity,ease to repair, and does anybody have insurance trouble w/ the SR20 motor?Every site I go to say they arent "street-legal"
          Last edited by S14-Kidd; 01-11-2004, 04:07 PM.

Comment

fu-c-k it. the ka can be boosted nisely and be reliable,it just depends how u set it up,i think it could make around 240whp at low boost if it is setup very excellent.

Comment

I knew a guy who maybe 370 on a KA with just pistions, rods, and a computer.

Comment

With the modest numbers that you are looking at. You could tune a NA KA for revs and get such numbers and have a happy engine. I dont know what kind of work you have actually done with cars or what you plan to do. But if you go with the SR. You are going to be sad to do any mods to its internals. If you go with the SR, I hope you have much cash, so you can build it so you will never have to mod it again. For every mod, the engine will have to be removed. Ease to repair thus goes with the KA. Not only because of how it was engineered but because of parts availability in the US. Oh, and no, the SR is not legal in the states. That doesnt stop many people (myself included) but technically it isnt legal. And umm...any reason you want a top mount intercooler?

Comment

Oh dont be mistaken I want more hp than that in the future but dont wanna make to big a jump from the start. Ima gradually up the boost and get more go fast parts . And is ur can insured when driving on the road? OR do u get alot of tickets for it(im not talkin about speeding tickets) and I want a top mount incase of crash on the road or while drifting

Comment

No, its not a ticket. Your car can be taken and crushed for s... like that. But it not something that is often found or enforced. A cop would have to have a warrant or your permission to look under your hood. But it is illegal, just like millions of other mods for cars.

Comment

So ur car doesnt pass state inspections? Well i guess ima have to go turbo cause i need that right now. Oh btw still looking for a top-mount so if anyone knows of any lemme know

Comment

Get a V-Mount

Comment

Signal's V mount only works with SR motors. And why cut the front end of your car up, and he would still ruin his intercooler if he wrecked that way. I dont recommend getting a top mount/don't know if you cant get it or if it is possible. My recommendation is front mount but its not my car.

Comment

It doesnt have to be signal's V mount, it just so happens that signal is like the only tuner that is finally introducing these techniques to the U.S. You could have one done custom thats why they call it CUSTOMIZATION. Just my suggestion

Comment

Ima keep lookin for a top-mount or get one custom made if its not too much trouble. But if its too much trouble and/or money to get a top mount ima just try my luck w/ the FMIC

Comment

Working...
                              X