FB rx-7's for drifting? Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSL SE GREAT

Well I have owned 2 and currently 1 FB gsl se.

All my experiences with the GSL-se rx-7 were great.

I learned most of my drifting on my gsl-se and it's a great car.

Yes sometimes the solid axle it what people dont like but hey!!
    Dosent a AE86 come with solids too??!!

So yea, a FB is a great car to drift at any level.
    I always said.

you can master any car and when ur ready make it faster,then when it's not fast enough get another =)

Comment

Thanks alot for the advice JunPower!

Comment

Oh yea here is a pic of my current FB

Yep Isn't she Beautiful.
        I took the motor out.
        I just have to rebuild the 88 TURBO II motor i have sitting outside..
        Attached Files

Comment

Re: look at your chassis code

Originally posted by nissan drift_
          why do people think their "FB". its an SA22C dammit. if its a gsl-se, then it could be a decent drifter out of the box, and in any case a first generation would make a sweet drifter-style wise. i dont know about actual performance/control.

actually the later first gen models are FBs and the earlier 1st gens are SA22C's. they changed because the US (i think) went to a 17 digit standardized vin code. check an early eighties rx7 and there's no sa22c just JM1FB33

Comment

just checked the VIN on my 82 and it says JMIFB331

Comment

Hey man, it's nice to find somebody else willing to sink time and money into keeping a first generation RX7 running!

I'm the (proud?) owner of a 1979 RX7, and since I live in Perth, Australia, I think I'm the only person who still drives one around on the streets!

It's lowered on koni springs and shocks, has whiteline sway bars and bushes and so forth and some custom-made strut braces (you're right - aftermarket goodies are pretty hard to come by). It's also running a series 5 13BT motor with a Garret T04/E58 turbocharger, FMIC sourced from a series 6 RX-7, series 6 rotors, stationary gears and eccentric shaft. Last time I had it dyno'd it made 313kW @ the rubber @ 18psi, so I was a very happy chappie with that!

I turn the boost down to between 7 and 10 psi for drifting, because the last time I tried drifting it at 18psi I shattered the LSD and stripped 3rd gear. So you need to watch for that, but SA22C's do slide. They need a bit of encouragement, since the car in stock form suffers from massive understeer (although my suspension setup has cured that problem, or at least come close!), but they're a great learning base for the inexperienced drifter, AND you don't have to be like me and rush out and spend a shitload of cash on your ride to get it sideways.

Whenever people ask me how to get a first gen RX7 sideways, I ALWAYS recommend either yanking the e-brake, or using compression lock (shift lock). They're the easiest ways to get the bastard to slide, especially if it's stock, and especially the e-brake technique. That being said, yanking the e-brake and compression locking the rear wheels isn't considered true drifting (apparently), but any other technique really struggles to overcome the car's tendency to understeer, so unless you want to spend AUS$4000 on your suspension like I did (I think that's, what, US$2500-3000?) and sort the understeer out...well, you just have to make sure your e-brake is nice and tight!

Best of luck man, I want to see pics/videos of you getting your car sideways!

Comment

'79-'80 first generation rx7's body code is FA3S.
                '81-'85 first generation rx7's body code is FB3S.
                All first generation chassis codes are SA22.

Comment

google found me this:

Vin Info:

Model Year....VIN Ser Numbers
                  1979...........SA22C - 500001 +
                  1980...........SA22C - 600001 +
                  1981...........FB33 - 500001 + (USA)
                  1982...........FB33 - 600001 +
                  1983...........FB33 - 700001 +
                  1984...........FB33 - 800001 +
                  1985...........FB33 - 856209 +

Yes, I registered on here JUST to post this.

Comment

More than one of you are right. It depends on the country. The last post applies to the US. In some countries, such as Japan (I think), they all ARE SA22's. But I know I've never heard of an "FA". One thing is for sure, though. Anyone who says there is no such thing as an FB is WRONG. Don't make me post pics of my freakin' VIN...

Comment

1982 Mazda GSL FB

Yep, the FB drifts just fine, 105whp 12a. The AE86's I drift with have more power then I do, for some reason I do alot better in the rain and wet surface then others and stuggle in the dry, lack of power is problably it.
                      Check the pic's from the Oct 23rd event at a 1/3 oval banked track, I love banks in the wet!!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

whoa, *coughs from dust thrown up*

Comment

Originally posted by Slammed_GSL
                          Yep, the FB drifts just fine, 105whp 12a. The AE86's I drift with have more power then I do, for some reason I do alot better in the rain and wet surface then others and stuggle in the dry, lack of power is problably it.
                          Check the pic's from the Oct 23rd event at a 1/3 oval banked track, I love banks in the wet!!!
                          nice pics!!! any more??? especially actions shots!! also, what mods do you have?

Comment

I would think the FB's are good for Autocross, not drifting. Maybe if tuned right it could keep up to 240's with the SR or CA...You should start with a good suspension setup, then do brakes,pads,and fluid, good clutch. If you have a GSL-SE then your good with the stock differential, maybe rebuild it or change the oil in it. Make sure you maintain the car properly.

Heck, enter AutoX,and Drift events, I'm sure you'll do fine with what you got.

- Rich

Comment

Suspension Mods so far:
                              84' VW Rabbit R&P Steering
                              Racing Beat springs F/R
                              HP Tokico Blues F/R
                              Energy Suspension Bushings Front
                              Ground Control Front Sway Bar

Ordering in the next 2 days:
                              Ground Control U Weld Coilovers w/6in 2.50 in 400lb Front
                              Ground Control Eibach rear springs with the dead coils 200lb

Ordered and awaiting delivery:
                              ReSpeed.com FC TII Front Brake conversion kit for FB's
                              ReSpeed.com Camber Plates

Have on the shelf:
                              Koni 86r series shocks for the front.
                              88TII Front Brakes (redrilling to 4x110 ) I like my Enkei, WED and Epsilon wheels too much to convert and buy 3 new sets of wheels and rubber.
                              GSL-SE front strut assembly for above conversion.
                              All will be powdercoated before assembly.

Wheel Flares and sideskirts are half way finished being dry fitted.
                              I'll post some pic's on a new thread when I'm done.

Comment

AWESOME! i may get my buddy's 1982 GSL. i've swung some donuts in it and drifted a few corners. the LSD is kinda weak on it right now, but it slides alright. I may however just try and find a good FC or S13 if i have the funds...

Comment

Working...
                                X