No announcement yet.

BMW drifters and their set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well most all the cars I have drifted prior to my E36 were semi trailing arm, E30, S12's (4 different ones), an RA65, a Z31. All those cars the main problem with them is that the rear suspension is very unpredictable although some were better than others the E30 was pretty good the S12 and RA65 were the worst. But multi link is the way to go or double wishbone is pretty good too.

Comment

here are a few videos of the last event i drove for reference

YouTube - Piner @ south florida fairgrounds (in car)

and here is the other one.

YouTube - Piner @ south florida fairgrounds 2nd angle

and here is an outside shot

YouTube - Piner @ south florida fairgrounds

Comment

Thanks

My M3 is becoming more predictable with each a justment and change i do to it but my friend still hasnt decided on either getting the sedan he drove oreven getting an older M3. He actualy saved even more money and found a newer M3 for about 10,000. So he cant decide becus he loves the newer looks of the M3s but he dsnt knw if it wud be as good for drifting.So what kind of M3 wud be the best for drifting. Wud u guys think that the 1997 wud be better than the 2002 m3. I know that the 97 has 240hp and weighs 300 pounds less than the newere M3s but the newer m3 have about 330 hp so wudnt that make up for ther weight. With some weight reduction such as the hood and trunk wudnt that help the newere m3s and also adding an intake and better headers help? Im more interested about wich M3 u guys wud consider the better drifting car. I know that parts wud be cheaper for the 97 but he says he dsnt care about that but, iknow he will whn he breaks or crashes lol. Please feal me in with any other BMW drifting ideas. Such as the 328i and the 330ci Becus i was telling him that if he likes the newer still so much why not go for something cheaper that has esier parts to work with and less expensive parts to buy.

Comment

dude you guys seem to be worrying to much about this. Its like worrying about the offroad capabilties of a 1985 jeep wrangler and a 1995 jeep wrangler against each other.

Just buy the one YOU like and drift the piss out of it. All M3's are easy and great cars to drift. remember drifting is a drivers sport stop worrying about the car so much.

Comment

HEy

I started drifting in a 240 but thn i decided to be a little more original and try some different cars. Out of all the cars i tried i liked the E36 so for the past 1 year iv been drifting a 1995 E36 M3. The car has good modifications to it but i still havnt changed the wheels. Lol i realy havnt cared for how the car looks until now. All i wud want to know is what kind of 6 or 7 spoke rims do u guys like best. I wud like some black or gold finish and iv been looking into some SSR type C-RS. If u have any other ones please reply.
            Last edited by ; 07-30-2008, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I used to run the TE37s on my '98 M3. which reminds me; gotta sell these soon.

Comment

^ yeah I just have some 330ci wheels on my car, i was thinking about running some 18" M parallels on my car in a bit when I get some more power into the car (M50 manifold, underdrive pulleys, cams, injectors)

Comment

Yup

I love those Te37's but there to expensive and with all the drifting im doing to get used to my car (im also tunning it alot still) im afraid to bend or one of them. Thats why im thinking of some six or seven spoke designs that are cheap such as the SSR C-RS. Im not gonna be using my good wheels in the winter cus that why im keeping my stock ones. But if u guys know any other styles can you please make a small list. Thanks.
                  Last edited by ; 07-31-2008, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Last edited by FreeThinker; 03-11-2009, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Piner View Post
                      well then I would go with the 2.93 with the LSD center. because that M20B27 only revs to like 4500rpm if you put the 3.93 in there you'll be drifting 3rd gear corners in 5th lol I knew someone who did that it was really funny
                      I had 2.93 on mine with a 6 speed and it just wasn't working out. Gears felt way too long and had a lot of boost lag. Just got a 3.73 in there a week ago and it feels much better. Now it's 3rd and 4th gear. Third gear I am topping out at 90mph while before it was around 120mph making 4th gear useless around 153mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Dado View Post
                        I had 2.93 on mine with a 6 speed and it just wasn't working out. Gears felt way too long and had a lot of boost lag. Just got a 3.73 in there a week ago and it feels much better. Now it's 3rd and 4th gear. Third gear I am topping out at 90mph while before it was around 120mph making 4th gear useless around 153mph.
                        Right but your motor has a 7K rpm redline where as the 325es that hes talking about has a 4.5K redline. so out of the 2 diffs he said he had I would go with the 2.93 over the 3.93 so that he doesnt have to slide in 4th gear on normally second gear corners.

PS. are you comming back down to FL anytime soon dado? I miss seeing you drive at events.

Comment

Originally posted by Piner View Post
                          Right but your motor has a 7K rpm redline where as the 325es that hes talking about has a 4.5K redline. so out of the 2 diffs he said he had I would go with the 2.93 over the 3.93 so that he doesnt have to slide in 4th gear on normally second gear corners.

PS. are you comming back down to FL anytime soon dado? I miss seeing you drive at events.
                          From what I seen the 328is has a 6,200rpm redline. Here is a graph to figure out what gear speed you want to be at.
                          http://www.diffsonline.com/techinfo/...Calculator.xls

Piner would love to come down to Florida again but on my own budget and gas prices these days makes it nearly impossible. I been doing only local events lately. Hope all is well down there!

Comment

Originally posted by Dado View Post
                            From what I seen the 328is has a 6,200rpm redline. Here is a graph to figure out what gear speed you want to be at.
                            http://www.diffsonline.com/techinfo/...Calculator.xls

Piner would love to come down to Florida again but on my own budget and gas prices these days makes it nearly impossible. I been doing only local events lately. Hope all is well down there!
                            Well My 328is doesnt have a M52 in it anymore it has an S52 like your car, plus with the ecu tune raised my rev limit to 7K so I figured that yours would be similar.

yeah I kinda wish my 2nd gear was longer and my 3rd gear was shorter, i'd like to get the 6 speed but a bit too much money for me to drop on a non-racing trans. I'd like to get a dog box with custom ratios but you know how that goes.

Yeah Gas is killer right now. I feel you on travel expenses.

Comment

i no this is kinda a random thread jack... but....

how many people are rockin E21's? i am looking into getting one... but i wanna be diferent, i wanna do an sr20 swap into it.

i just sold my 86 mk2 supra (hybrid 6mge swap, rebuilt by me), and i want a e21 i love the looks. ive seen vids with the sr swaped in...but just of it running.

anyone have a good forums reconmendation for bmw specific application (exp swaps?).

im a fan of the E30's and E36's but im old school

Comment

^ www.bimmerforums.com

they cover pretty much everything, I don't know much about E21's but hey could be pretty decent.

Comment

Working...
                                X