Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollywood
    replied
    personaly I would prefere a motor that was NA, when I race thats generaly the car I go with.

as far as rules and class, I have no idea, the owner is checking with the stewerts to see what they say. and they may change thier minds after his first couple races. it would be nice if they had a spec 350z class.

eitherway we are going to end up prepping the car for the track, cage ect. and then he has his own guys that will work on it during the season.

Leave a comment:

• aaronlosey
    replied
    god i love this thread.

but don't you think a stock na motor making 250whp, which comes in the car, would be far cheaper and FAR more reliable than having a ten year old sr20, running 14psi and costing 5k to make 250whp??? na motors are going to be alot more reliable road racing, as well as being alot better in the texas heat.

and just out of curiosity, what class would you put yourself in for road racing with a motorswap? if your going to reclass your car over a motorswap, it better be a damn good one, that is completely necessary. racing has alot to do with being in the right class, with the right car.

this thread is the sillyness.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Peters
    replied
    you know, with your logic the best bet would be a ka24e.

how your "shop" stays in business or finds peopel stupid enough to let you touch their cars should win you some kind of award.

Leave a comment:

• Hollywood
    replied
    well the owner is still waiting on permission from the stewert to use the SR20. you cant really modify the motor to much other then changing gaskets, and he cant run the haltech so either way it will be a factory ecu, so there is not a whole lot of tuning you are allowed to do.
    the VQ motor dynos around 245, with an intake and an open exhust I am thinking 260whp
    with the SR 225 is what we get out of s13 motor, with a 3 inch exhaust, intake and FMIC, (not sure we can run an FMIC, swaped 240's can) waiting to see what the stewert says.
    there is also the option of going with the S15 motor, though the initial cost would be a bit more, he would have more power.

as for blowing the motors, each race is 6 hours long, most of the races are run in temps above 100 (its texas) I honestly cant say how many he will go through, he has done it before and he is paying for it.

Leave a comment:

• new_to_drift
    replied
    and from what you said before the sr would end up being $800 cheaper but 100hp less.i would love to find a part that adds 100hp for only $800.that would be awesome.ad i think everyone would have that part

Leave a comment:

• new_to_drift
    replied
    when u say he plans on replacing the motor 3-4 times a year.WHY? cause they are bored/? that is absolutely retarded.how about instead of replacing the motor that many times,u build a good motor, tune it well.and not have to replace it even once.i find it stupid that someone would plan on replacing the motor 3-4 times, especially such a relatively new motor.

Leave a comment:

• hatebbobbarker
    replied
    the owner is an idiot if hes going through 3-4 motors a year, VQs are cheap now anyways, hes wasting his money just to build a kitchy car. no matter how you slice it.

but I think you should do it for th $$$$

Leave a comment:

• Hollywood
    replied
    this has nothing to do with power, this is a track car. the owner/driver is planning on replacing the motor 3-4 times a year. 4 SR motors is much cheaper then 4 VQ motors (at least at the present) and replacing an SR is faster then replacing a VQ, if you pop a motor during qualifying, you can swap motors intime for the race

Leave a comment:

• Mike Peters
    replied
    if you need to do something different/ricertastic/to increase your e-rep on drifting forums, at least do something cool that hasnt been done back in 200longtime ago. put a ls1 in it.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Peters
    replied
    Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
    talking to him a few days ago, I dont think the power is much of a concern for him. I think his biggest reason for doing this is to save money in the long run. going through 3-4 VQ35 motors in a year can get expensive, SR motors are very cheap (especialy when you only need the long block), and easy to rebuild. so 3-4 SR motors will be less over the year.
    i dont know what happened to my other post, but what your saying is 110% stupidity at its finest.

spend $5k to have less power, smaller powerband, a big car with no torque, crappier tranny with one less gear, a harder time finding parts every time something breaks, its completly fornicating stupid in 2007, no matter how awesome your "performance shop" thinks it is.

i think the sheer stupidity of this thread is best illustrated by the fact you posted this on drifting.com's tech forum, as this has been the most active topic in a longtime just due to the sheer idiocy being displayed in this thread.

summary
    spending 5k to have a shittier motor than the vq because you dont want to spend money on the vq to have 2x the power = stupid.

/thread.

Leave a comment:

• Hollywood
    replied
    talking to him a few days ago, I dont think the power is much of a concern for him. I think his biggest reason for doing this is to save money in the long run. going through 3-4 VQ35 motors in a year can get expensive, SR motors are very cheap (especialy when you only need the long block), and easy to rebuild. so 3-4 SR motors will be less over the year.

Leave a comment:

• aaronlosey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth View Post
    If the customer wants it and is paying you to do it, do it. Who cares what his reasoning is. Money is the reasoning far as you should be concerned. You can't convice people on a forum that it is the right or wrong way. Do it, pocket that moolah and roll on to the next job.
    i disagree. we had a friend that wanted us to install a ca18 or rb20 in his s14 because he didn't want to spend the full amount on the sr swap. this was a nice 97 kouki, in good shape, with suspension and everything else. his car would have sucked @ss if we would have let him put a ca18 in there, and he is forever grateful for us stopping him and putting in an sr, as he has since ridden in modded ca18 cars, and seen how *Censored**Censored**Censored* they are. if someone puts a relatively stock sr20 in their 350z, its going to suck, suck big time. it will be slower than stock, with an engine with worse power, power band, reliability than the stock motor, and you will have wasted 5k worth of his money. you will have one disappointed customer in the end, who thinks you suck. unless he is a ricer, then he will convince himself that his swap is badass.

Leave a comment:

• Ghost of Duluth
    replied
    If the customer wants it and is paying you to do it, do it. Who cares what his reasoning is. Money is the reasoning far as you should be concerned. You can't convice people on a forum that it is the right or wrong way. Do it, pocket that moolah and roll on to the next job.

Leave a comment:

• Slapshotnerd
    replied
    I believe chris forsberg was still working at signal auto when he did his sr20 conversion... 2 years before the chromalusion car...

Leave a comment:

• NismoSigma
    replied
    I remeber reading that signal auto did this conversion on their 350Z, heres the link http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...50z/index.html

Assorted pics....
    http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea.../photo_07.html

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea.../photo_04.html

Hope some visuals help.

Edit: Signal used an SR20 because from what I understand its lighter than a VQ and easier to modify. They used it for time attack so if you are going to strip out the inside of the car to make it club racer than I guess you want it to be as light as possible.
    Last edited by NismoSigma; 12-30-2006, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X