Stretch them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretch them

What up every one? While I'm not really new to drift I'm still learning and I'm new to this forum. I own an s5t2 that I want to start sliding once it's ready. I know you don't need to go crazy with mods to drift but it came with kyb agx shocks and some brand of shox I don't know. Anyway. What I'm here to ask is about tire stretching on wider rims. What's the point? I've notices a lot of drift machines if not all on the pro circuits do this. What are the benefits to this? Thanks.

stretching is purely cosmetic and economic.

Comment

Yeah, the old belief was that stretched tires gave you a stiffer sidewall. I don't believe it does and tire stretching, in my opinion, has become overplayed in drifting. I say go with a set of tires that fit properly and decent set you can afford. They don't have to be the stickiest set, considering this is your first time drifting, but don't go too cheap. Something like a Nexen N1000, Falken Ziex ZE-329, or a General AltiMAX RT or HP would do best.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
        stretching is purely cosmetic and economic.
        Economic in what way? Will it save the tire some how?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
          Yeah, the old belief was that stretched tires gave you a stiffer sidewall. I don't believe it does and tire stretching, in my opinion, has become overplayed in drifting. I say go with a set of tires that fit properly and decent set you can afford. They don't have to be the stickiest set, considering this is your first time drifting, but don't go too cheap. Something like a Nexen N1000, Falken Ziex ZE-329, or a General AltiMAX RT or HP would do best.
          Well my car already has bf goodridge sports 225/50 16R all around but wanted to change the rears to someting cheap that can break loose more easily at first. I'm super wet behind the ears when it comes to anything besides 180 handbrake u-turns or donuts. Lol are the tires you recomended any grade lower than what I already have?

Comment

its become a cosmetic thing for 'flushness' and all of this fitment craze. make sure you can drive well before you worry about being the most stylish. ive never had an extreme stretch, just a mild one, there is a limit to what looks good in my opinion.

anyways, ive seen stock setups that can out drive the guy with 10k+ into his car. the amazing paint, wheels, and overfenders dont make you a driver.

Comment

Originally posted by boxmod View Post
              its become a cosmetic thing for 'flushness' and all of this fitment craze. make sure you can drive well before you worry about being the most stylish. ive never had an extreme stretch, just a mild one, there is a limit to what looks good in my opinion.

anyways, ive seen stock setups that can out drive the guy with 10k+ into his car. the amazing paint, wheels, and overfenders dont make you a driver.
              ofcourse not. I totaly agree. I was just wondering waht the big deal behind the streatch is. As far I can tell there are those who swear by it and those who say its all the same. My goal is to get good bottom line. I hear the fc is no beginer car though. So i should have a good time. I love a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by boxmod View Post

Right. the goal is to get good no matter what. I keep getting mixed opinion about the stretch. what do you consider an extreme stretch? Say on a 9.5 in rim for example?

Comment

Some people buy big wide wheels but cant afford big wide tires so they get smaller ones and stretch them...therefore its economical.

9.5.... probably 215 or 205

I use to run 15x9 on 205s...never had a issue, and i was rolled and "slammed"

FCs are good beginner cars, but they are not easy to initially setup

Some of the best pros in our sport started off with FCs...stick with it.
                  Last edited by Bebop; 10-20-2010, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                    Some people buy big wide wheels but cant afford big wide tires so they get smaller ones and stretch them...therefore its economical.

9.5.... probably 215 or 205

I use to run 15x9 on 205s...never had a issue, and i was rolled and "slammed"

FCs are good beginner cars, but they are not easy to initially setup

Some of the best pros in our sport started off with FCs...stick with it.
                    Oh ya. Shes in it for the long haul. I read that its harder to learn in the fc. When you say initial set up are you refering for drift in general or intiating a drift?

Comment

Originally posted by Linguo415 View Post
                      Well my car already has bf goodridge sports 225/50 16R all around but wanted to change the rears to someting cheap that can break loose more easily at first. I'm super wet behind the ears when it comes to anything besides 180 handbrake u-turns or donuts. Lol are the tires you recomended any grade lower than what I already have?
                      They are, and cheaper, too. The best tire I would recommend would be either Falkens or, while I didn't mention them earlier, Kumhos. Cheaper (for the same size), easier to find (again, for the size you mention), and don't stick quite as much as the BFGs you've got.

Comment

They are, and cheaper, too. The best tire I would recommend would be either Falkens or, while I didn't mention them earlier, Kumhos. Cheaper (for the same size), easier to find (again, for the size you mention), and don't stick quite as much as the BFGs you've got.
                        Sweet man. Thanks for the info. I was actually looking at Kumhos the other night. They look good to me. It was the ecsta AST. Saw them on tire rack. The camparison from what I have now to the ecsta is a bit better from what the sites ratings are but the reviews are way better on my BFGs.

Comment

Sweet man. Thanks for the info. I was actually looking at Kumhos the other night. They look good to me. It was the ecsta AST. Saw them on tire rack. The camparison from what I have now to the ecsta is a bit better from what the sites ratings are but the reviews are way better on my BFGs.
                          The biggest problem I've seen with Kumhos are their edge wear. It seems like the edges of the tires don't have as much radial belting as they should and wear down like it's just rubber and no steel. It's probably part of what makes it a cheaper tire. I have yet to drift on a set of Kumhos (I used them as front tires on my E30, but the rears were various ones but not Kumhos and all were used), but they aren't a bad tire.

Comment

The biggest problem I've seen with Kumhos are their edge wear. It seems like the edges of the tires don't have as much radial belting as they should and wear down like it's just rubber and no steel. It's probably part of what makes it a cheaper tire. I have yet to drift on a set of Kumhos (I used them as front tires on my E30, but the rears were various ones but not Kumhos and all were used), but they aren't a bad tire.
                            I dont suspect that they are bad tires. Just probably not the best. Its all good to me though. Im just gonna be getting started so its all new to me. Are you still swingin the E30?

Comment

Oh ya. Shes in it for the long haul. I read that its harder to learn in the fc. When you say initial set up are you refering for drift in general or intiating a drift?
                              Setup in general

Some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it.... well you get it. There's no formula for a good double wishbone for drifting. It really depends on who is driving it. I got buddies with mildly built S chassis and they all drive just about the same. I got friends with mild built miatas and FCs... not only are they all different. I don't feel comfortable driving any of them at all...

Comment

Working...
                              X