Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
    Setup in general

Some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it.... well you get it. There's no formula for a good double wishbone for drifting. It really depends on who is driving it. I got buddies with mildly built S chassis and they all drive just about the same. I got friends with mild built miatas and FCs... not only are they all different. I don't feel comfortable driving any of them at all...
    Im sure, you have to be used to what ever it is you drift regularly. all cars are different for sure. Something that works for you may not work for me. Especialy when it comes to an individuals drift machine right? the set up is a personal thing isnt it? Whatever gets you out of a corner in one piece may not work for the next guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Linguo415 View Post
      I dont suspect that they are bad tires. Just probably not the best. Its all good to me though. Im just gonna be getting started so its all new to me. Are you still swingin the E30?
      Nah, just like everything else BMW, it got too expensive to maintain for the income I was bringing in. I sold it and haven't drifted since '06 (not purposely, anyway ), now I'm trying to get back into driving again with a S12 200SX.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
        Nah, just like everything else BMW, it got too expensive to maintain for the income I was bringing in. I sold it and haven't drifted since '06 (not purposely, anyway ), now I'm trying to get back into driving again with a S12 200SX.
        Just cant stay away. Lol. Sweet, man. How is it comming along?

Comment

Just cant stay away. Lol. Sweet, man. How is it comming along?
          The interviewing I do keeps giving me desire to get out again. At the risk of getting off topic, I just need to put the KA24E in and run it on the street for a while to make sure it's going to be reliable. I'm also looking into putting a Subaru Impreza STi R180 LSD in the place of the open Nissan R180. It's the same differential, just a different spline count, so I'm hoping just a quick swap of the inboard CV Axles will do the trick. If not, it's going to take some modification to the stub axle flange like this guy did for his S30: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/...rsion-revised/

Comment

The interviewing I do keeps giving me desire to get out again. At the risk of getting off topic, I just need to put the KA24E in and run it on the street for a while to make sure it's going to be reliable. I'm also looking into putting a Subaru Impreza STi R180 LSD in the place of the open Nissan R180. It's the same differential, just a different spline count, so I'm hoping just a quick swap of the inboard CV Axles will do the trick. If not, it's going to take some modification to the stub axle flange like this guy did for his S30: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/...rsion-revised/
            that sounds badass! Do it. Do you work for a magazine or something?

Comment

that sounds badass! Do it. Do you work for a magazine or something?
              Heh, no. I worked as a freelance reporter for Drifting.com at Road Atlanta and Irwindale this year. I'd like to, though or do something very similar as a career on top of doing some driving.

Comment

Heh, no. I worked as a freelance reporter for Drifting.com at Road Atlanta and Irwindale this year. I'd like to, though or do something very similar as a career on top of doing some driving.
                That would be awesome! Any chance of you being able to break into something like that.

Comment

I don't know. I don't even really know where to begin to look other than doing freelance stuff, hope someone reads it and picks me up. I'd love to work with MotoIQ.com, as I huge amounts of respect for Mike Kojima and Dave Coleman, but I'm pretty sure they have a full house. But, I will keep my options open.

Comment

I don't know. I don't even really know where to begin to look other than doing freelance stuff, hope someone reads it and picks me up. I'd love to work with MotoIQ.com, as I huge amounts of respect for Mike Kojima and Dave Coleman, but I'm pretty sure they have a full house. But, I will keep my options open.
                    Im sure you can get into something. Plenty racers have become editors of somesort.

Comment

So who makes a nice set of rims in 9" to 10" area? Not too expensive.

Comment

Off topic as hell. But XXR arent too much and Im running stagger of 18x8.5 and 18x9.5

4 and 5 lug available too.

Comment

Im sure you can get into something. Plenty racers have become editors of somesort.
                          Yeah, I'm keeping my hopes up to be able to do both.

So who makes a nice set of rims in 9" to 10" area? Not too expensive.
                          That will probably depend on which version of the RX7 you have. If your's is early and has the 4X114.3 (or you haven't done the swap), there are a few options in steel wheels on Summit Racing. You have to look them up by lug patteren, though, as it won't show if you use your car to look them up.

If you have the 5X114.3 pattern, again, Summit Racing has a ton of options because you will have the same lug pattern as Mustangs.

I've seen a company on Summit called Wheels Vintiques and they make reproduction steel wheels in many widths and most any size. They had a 15"x10" wheel in a -25mm offset for less than $100 a wheel and it was DOT approved for it's type of tire bead set. If DOT approval isn't important, you can get Bart circle track steel wheels for really cheap and if you want it in less than 15", you can find them for less than $50 a wheel.

You may even find a lot of bargin stuff at local circle track stores. Springs, shocks, control arms, wheels, sheet metal, if you want to build a car cheap check with them. They are designed to sell to cheap people that need a car built for the very next weekend but want something that will still hold together.

Comment

Yeah, I'm keeping my hopes up to be able to do both.

That will probably depend on which version of the RX7 you have. If your's is early and has the 4X114.3 (or you haven't done the swap), there are a few options in steel wheels on Summit Racing. You have to look them up by lug patteren, though, as it won't show if you use your car to look them up.

If you have the 5X114.3 pattern, again, Summit Racing has a ton of options because you will have the same lug pattern as Mustangs.

I've seen a company on Summit called Wheels Vintiques and they make reproduction steel wheels in many widths and most any size. They had a 15"x10" wheel in a -25mm offset for less than $100 a wheel and it was DOT approved for it's type of tire bead set. If DOT approval isn't important, you can get Bart circle track steel wheels for really cheap and if you want it in less than 15", you can find them for less than $50 a wheel.

You may even find a lot of bargin stuff at local circle track stores. Springs, shocks, control arms, wheels, sheet metal, if you want to build a car cheap check with them. They are designed to sell to cheap people that need a car built for the very next weekend but want something that will still hold together.
                            Summit huh? Ive always thought they were all american. Nice. Im S5 Turbo so im running 5x114.3 16x7 stock. (kouki 2bd gen)

Comment

Originally posted by boxmod View Post
                              Off topic as hell. But XXR arent too much and Im running stagger of 18x8.5 and 18x9.5

4 and 5 lug available too.
                              Funny! i was just checking them out last night. Does rim diamiter affect the drift at all? I know its slower to get rolling at first cause the wheel is bigger. Im all stock when it comes to power.

Comment

Funny! i was just checking them out last night. Does rim diamiter affect the drift at all? I know its slower to get rolling at first cause the wheel is bigger. Im all stock when it comes to power.

So long as you keep overall tire height, you'll be fine (stock overall being 24.88"). To keep close to the stock overall height with a 225 tire, you'd run a 40 sidewall (225/40/18, giving you a 25.10" overall). Ideally, though, you'd be better off with a 215/45/18, which would give you a stretch and come closer to your stock overall height at 25.00."
                                Last edited by Justin Banner; 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X