No announcement yet.

Stretch them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much of a difference is there between a 16" and 18" wheels when you are sideways when it comes to performance? Is there any difference? I know that with bigger rims come thinner side walls on the tire meaning stiffer. What else? Is there more control with one than the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Linguo415 View Post
      how much of a difference is there between a 16" and 18" wheels when you are sideways when it comes to performance? Is there any difference? I know that with bigger rims come thinner side walls on the tire meaning stiffer. What else? Is there more control with one than the other?
      Weight could be a small issue, but not enough for you to worry about. If you don't use the same (or close to it) overall height, gearing and speedometer accuracy will be affected. If you keep an eye on your tire pressures, sidewall stiffness won't be an issue, either if you decided to go with a smaller rim and larger sidewall (there is a limit, either way, but you can usually see if before you get to that point). If you hit a hard bump or go off track with a small sidewall tire, you do pose a larger risk of bending the rim. Personally, I think you should try to stick with a 45 or larger series sidewall, even if that means NOT going with an 18" rim. If you really want to learn how tire pressure does affect handling (going sideways or not), I personally think a taller sidewall would be better and could give you more options when it comes to suspension adjustment. Plus, I think it would look better than the bologna skin most call tires (again, more personal opinion than fact here).

On the down side, it would probably mean you couldn't really get a good stretch on them (or one that is asthetically pleasing, anyhow).

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
        Weight could be a small issue, but not enough for you to worry about. If you don't use the same (or close to it) overall height, gearing and speedometer accuracy will be affected. If you keep an eye on your tire pressures, sidewall stiffness won't be an issue, either if you decided to go with a smaller rim and larger sidewall (there is a limit, either way, but you can usually see if before you get to that point). If you hit a hard bump or go off track with a small sidewall tire, you do pose a larger risk of bending the rim. Personally, I think you should try to stick with a 45 or larger series sidewall, even if that means NOT going with an 18" rim. If you really want to learn how tire pressure does affect handling (going sideways or not), I personally think a taller sidewall would be better and could give you more options when it comes to suspension adjustment. Plus, I think it would look better than the bologna skin most call tires (again, more personal opinion than fact here).

On the down side, it would probably mean you couldn't really get a good stretch on them (or one that is asthetically pleasing, anyhow).
        Hahaha balogna meat. i was thinking about doing 17x9/9.5. 45mm sidewall is what im thinking. 40 isnt good in the city. Lots of potholes and such.Do tTaller tires not stretch well?
        Last edited by Linguo415; 10-27-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linguo415 View Post
          Hahaha balogna meat. i was thinking about doing 17x9/9.5. 45mm sidewall is what im thinking. 40 isnt good in the city. Lots of potholes and such.Do tTaller tires not stretch well?

Well, not that it won't stretch well, I just doubt a tire taller than a 50% sidewall is not going to show much of a stretch. A shorter sidewall is going to look more layed over than a tall one would.

Back when I was more insane than I am now, I thought about doing a Hellaflush-look off road truck. It would have the ground clearance and off road fenders of a Baja Truck, but the tires would still tuck under it and be stretched. I don't know if it would have come out good or not, but I wanted to try it.
          Last edited by Justin Banner; 10-27-2010, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
            Well, not that it won't stretch well, I just doubt a tire taller than a 50% sidewall is not going to show much of a stretch. A shorter sidewall is going to look more layed over than a tall one would.

Back when I was more insane than I am now, I thought about doing a Hellaflush-look off road truck. It would have the ground clearance and off road fenders of a Baja Truck, but the tires would still tuck under it and be stretched. I don't know if it would have come out good or not, but I wanted to try it.
            Hahahaha! Thats pretty crazy. Ive been doing homework trying to find a set of deep dish rims. All hella expensive. the only affordable ones at the moent are the xxr. the are a little over $100. They go as wide as 9.5 but only at 18". I dont know if I want to go that tall on the rim i was thinking 17" at that width. But theyre 17" goes to 9" wide. thats close enough. lol
            Last edited by Linguo415; 10-27-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boxmod View Post
              Off topic as hell. But XXR arent too much and Im running stagger of 18x8.5 and 18x9.5

4 and 5 lug available too.
              Are you drifting on them? How much power are you running?

Comment

Working...
              X