No announcement yet.

what engine should I get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that the KA engine are strong but the car I buying has 85,000 miles and he told me that I need to do a swap if the motor blows( due to some engine problems) so I think I'm going to go red top what you guys think.

Comment

85K is low miles. And why would you HAVE to swap? If something happened it'd still be easier and cheaper to drop another KA in.

Comment

If the motor blows up. do you know any websites I can get another KA .

Comment

I know people with engines, I know ebay, and I know that almost any junkyard will have one. Or check the for sale section here or driftcentral or any nissan forum. People are swapping all the time and don't know why so they end up giving up their good KAs. Pick up one of those. Unless you have a reason for swapping, but you dont sound like you do.

Comment

The KA is more then enough. A daul cam KA is perfect. I would rather turbo it, then do the sr, and even be street legal.

Comment

i'd go with the KA24

Comment

Originally posted by hachiroku-fc3s
                Yeah if this is supposed to be treated like a real thread, then Im with ACD first, then P1ston2Rotary.
                Dont like thinking outside of the box?

Well anyway, I just put in my usual rotary plugging because smc had replied to this thread. God knows i love our litte sweetheart Smc and miss our little fc/s13 discussions we used to share in chat . However, I do apologize for not contributing a wealth of information to this thread, i find this unnecessary since you KA patrons are overwhelming this dear child with your oppinions.

Now specifically to the thread starter:

Although Im not offering anything useful, two people have already provided you with a path to follow that will yield the most satisfying results.

SMC says "You need to start with a power goal, not just peak horse power but power band ect.. then figure out whats in your budget to achieve that goal.

Theres a nissan motor for every application and a different application for every person and preference."

and

Then like Cordes previously said " Might I suggest doing a little research before you make threads like this or you'll get torn apart like a fat kid in wolf territory "

So basically, knowing what you want out of an engine + searching for information about different platforms + matching characteristics up with an engine that exhibits that of which you desire = your answer. Im not going to lie to you, theres really no law against using your brain.
                Last edited by P1STON2ROTARY; 04-28-2004, 03:40 PM.

Comment

*applauds piston2rotary*

I know theres alot of KA guys here. the KA is a great motor, but so is the SR, so is the CA so is the RB, so is the 13b if you want to go that route.

Honestly if your building adrift car you really dont need any extra power until you get better. Maybe get your self a intake and a 3 inch exhaust on your CA, make sure its in good condition, new cat and fuel filter and oil filter ect.. it should be pretty quick. nothing fancy, but quick enough to drift fine on.

Later of if you feel you need more power, like i said, start with a goal, and figure out what the best platform for you is.

Personally i think im going to get me an SR20 motor. i lost my KA the other week at 190k and change. and i was very very rough on that motor. Your KA is probably in good shape, something to deffenately consider when you start desiding what platform you need.

We seem to have alot of KA supporters, and though thats cool the KA is a good motor. its not the only path to follow. it is however a good path. so consider it. Dont pick an engine just because a guy with 3000 post says "go ka" or some one else says "Get the Ca it revs" or whatever.

Anyways i think you have your awnser, now go do research on nissan engines, and what you want. and have some fun man.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24

We seem to have alot of KA supporters, and though thats cool the KA is a good motor. its not the only path to follow. it is however a good path. so consider it. Dont pick an engine just because a guy with 3000 post says "go ka" or some one else says "Get the Ca it revs" or whatever.
                    You have GOT to be kidding me. Did you just copy one of my past posts and change SR20 to KA? I suggested KA CUZ ITS NOT SOMETHING YOU GO. You don't "go KA", THEY ALREADY HAVE IT. The kid clearly doesnt know what he's dealing with so sorry if my advice wasnt to go blow 3 grand on an engine he knows nothing about.

And as for Piston2rotary. Im a rotary man. Have been for a while, but I recently (bout 8 months ago) baught a S14 and yes, my suggestion was to stay KA, for this guy, now. A month ago on this board that would be considered outside the box. But yeah, Im a rotor-head so Im down with dropping 13 and 20Bs in anything. I know a guy with a 13b NA scooby, and another guy about to drop a 13B-re in a Firebird. I tried to get him to go 20B but money. Ya know? And Ill prob be doing a 20B camaro within the next 5 months. Anyway, this is my typical advice sorry if its not "outside the box" enough for you.

Man, get off your high horses. I stand by my original advice. Im not advising the masses, Im advising the kid. Anybody reading this with a similar question but different situation, don't listen to me, hit the stickies and the FAQs. I don't like to be questioned.

Comment

You have GOT to be kidding me. Did you just copy one of my past posts and change SR20 to KA? I suggested KA CUZ ITS NOT SOMETHING YOU GO. You don't "go KA", THEY ALREADY HAVE IT. The kid clearly doesnt know what he's dealing with so sorry if my advice wasnt to go blow 3 grand on an engine he knows nothing about.
                      What? easy there buddy, i just threw out some random stuff. as an example.

Comment

Originally posted by P1STON2ROTARY
                        I just put in my usual rotary plugging because smc had replied to this thread...since you KA patrons are overwhelming this dear child with your oppinions...
                        Oh, and then keep your personal posts to yourself or your chats, we're here to help out not make jokes and plugs, and he was asking for our opinions, that's why he's here.

Comment

And as for Piston2rotary. Im a rotary man. Have been for a while, but I recently (bout 8 months ago) baught a S14 and yes, my suggestion was to stay KA, for this guy, now. A month ago on this board that would be considered outside the box. But yeah, Im a rotor-head so Im down with dropping 13 and 20Bs in anything. I know a guy with a 13b NA scooby, and another guy about to drop a 13B-re in a Firebird. I tried to get him to go 20B but money. Ya know? And Ill prob be doing a 20B camaro within the next 5 months. Anyway, this is my typical advice sorry if its not "outside the box" enough for you.

Man, get off your high horses. I stand by my original advice. Im not advising the masses, Im advising the kid. Anybody reading this with a similar question but different situation, don't listen to me, hit the stickies and the FAQs. I don't like to be questioned.

Now forgive me i'f i've misunderstood you or something, But your saying we are all abunch of jerks for not saying everything you say is 100 percent right? eh interesting train of thought.

Comment

I don't like it being suggested that remaining KA for the time-being is a bandwagon move.

Comment

91-98 come with a dual over head cam KA24, it's works fine for drifting. Has plenty of torque, torque breaks traction.

How about a KA24?

And dont do a swap just for the sake of it. Consider keeping the KA, especialy in its dual overhead cam variant, its a very good motor. Lots of displacement.

85K is low miles. And why would you HAVE to swap? If something happened it'd still be easier and cheaper to drop another KA in.

know people with engines, I know ebay, and I know that almost any junkyard will have one. Or check the for sale section here or driftcentral or any nissan forum. People are swapping all the time and don't know why so they end up giving up their good KAs. Pick up one of those. Unless you have a reason for swapping, but you dont sound like you do.

i'd go with the KA24

The KA is more then enough. A daul cam KA is perfect. I would rather turbo it, then do the sr, and even be street legal.
                              Save me and you mentioning he had no need to swap an engine
                              other then the sake of swapping an engine, no one suggest he remain with the ka for the time being. It was told he should get a KA, or rather Keep his current KA, end of story.

That is the bandwagon, Sorry to break it to you. We all know the elitest attitude thats formed "Oh ricers want SR20s cause they think its JDM tight yo, us REAL enthusiest want KA24s" thats the bandwagon thats formed recently. You dont like the fact that its a bandwagon, nothing much you can do about that.

There are reasons someone may want a SR20, or a CA or a RB, i dont think he has any of those reasons personally, but there are reasons to do more then stick with the KA.

I guess you didnt like that idea.

Comment

Come on SMC, you know I just love to fight the power. I faught KA all the way through the SR bandwagon and I felt this thread needed a little bit. Im not knocking the SR,CA, or RB. Ive faught for the sake of all four camps. I didn't say anything when you went the way of the SR and I am going the same way in the next two months prob. Im not knocking anybody or any engine, Im giving applicable advice. Granted I called the kid retarded and that wasn't the way to do it, but you know about getting emotional with these things.

I don't give life advise. All is time-applicable and post/question-considered. When the guy learns a little something and posts that he's thinking of swapping after having learned about his options and his car, THEN Ill fight for another engine. Cuz I love the adversity.

"but there are reasons to do more then stick with the KA.

absolutely, and I got all of them swirling around in my head, but like you said "i dont think he has any of those reasons personally", so why would I give that advice.

SMC, we're like a guy from CA and a guy from TX, fighting each other in Iraq.

Comment

Working...
                                X