No announcement yet.

CA18 or SR20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uuuummmm.....well, for 200-300 hp, you could almost remain stock but do a rebuild and some tuning, FMIC, intake, exhaust, cams, etc. In other words, what the panda said. Get you a good headgasket and replace anything that you can(head bolts). Minor bolt-ons will get you there, but you want to make sure your 1.8 is ready to handle boost reliably.

S13BlackWolf, if you intended to stroke your CA, then raging panda's advice is for you, why would you go CA instead of remain KA? Usually its cuz you want the revs, but you will lose em if you stroke it and you will still have less displacement.

turbo_blitz, how are you with a welder, none of the recommended turbos are huge, you could use your stock mani. You will just need to cut and drill you a new flange then cut the one off of your stock mani, then weld on the new one, its really not hard. Upgrading the mani is a good idea, but wont make a HUGE difference here.

Comment

Actually most of the parts on my CA are custom welded by my friend. He actually made me a 3.5 inch strait pipe and Mandrel bent exhaust but I am sure what you said will be easy work for him!

Comment

Eh this is edited because it was a rant that went off topic. Edited by my self i should say.
        Last edited by nissanguy_24; 05-10-2004, 02:08 PM.

Comment

alright i'll tell u guys wat its all about, if u are really experienced in watever u plan on doin with the car get a sr but if u still be learining u should get a ca because they are strong and cheap. that be my 2 cents, oh ya nothing is better than rb20det.
          Last edited by oneurT; 05-10-2004, 07:51 PM.

Comment

if im goning to stroke it i will do it in resonal trems so i don't lose as much revs and stroking dose increase your displacement. Any way i kno what im doing in perfromance building im just not famila with the engines its the frist time i have owned a nissan. because im manily into drag racing (cos of the lack of drift days or more like no drift days here) so i will build it more towards drag racing conditions, but that don't mean i won't have a go at drifting

Comment

well honestly, if you are planing to drag mostly, maybe a RB25 swap would be in order as they are larger displacement engines, requiring no stroking, just add bigger turbo, injectors, FMIC, and you have lots of HP with a lot of boost. Almost no issues with internals on those engines, just add a metal head gasket. There are drift cars running around with this engine so its definately not too front heavy, and I guess its just a few more pounds heavier than the KA. That or the KA, because drag definatley likes the torque off the line, but its all up to you.

Comment

ok but ive never heard of anyone put an RB26DET(T) into a 1989 S13 silvia Q's. any way wat wid u talking a about a KA i got no idea wat that is. is it like an FJ20?

Comment

Did you say where you are located? I forget now

anyways, the KA motor is what came in the US 240sx, if youre not from around here, sorry about that.

There are guys in the US putting the RB26DETT in their 240sx, it takes a lot of wiring, but it can be done, and even easier if you are right hand drive as some guys hit the steering shaft with their TT downpipes. I was talking about the RB25DET, coming out of the GTS-T, easier just because of the single turbo. It makes 250hp, not too bad, but if you have access to the RB26, that would be a better choice as they dyno at something like 320whp, even though they are rated at 280ps to the crank, at least thats what i've read, could be wrong on that, but still its a better engine.

The FJ would be cool, but not many of those running around is the only problem. The claimed fastest S-chassis in the world is an S-14 tube chassis drag car running something like 8 sec w/ the FJ under its hood.

Comment

check out hks' drag 180 if you want to see a rb26dett installed in a s13. isn't mckinney or rbmotoring releasing kits for rb engines for install into the s-chassis?

Comment

RB25DET is the ultimate S13 upgrade but takes some serious tunning to handle real well, and make up for the extra weight (over a 100 lbs more, but surprisingly some of these swaps end up with a 52/48 distrubtion) Not tomention the chassis will need to be stiffened the brakes upgraded ect.. ect.. And they are expensive. However it is the ultimate engine, the RB has been called the finest engine nissan has ever built. 2.5 liters, more displacement then the 240's KA, spread over 6 cylenders, with a short stroke. so as many if not more revs then a CA, and freakin bulletproof. or so they have been called.

Not a cheap swap, especialy not cheap to tune for drifting, But an awesome swap indeed. And dispite what the guys who sell Rbs will say, its not "practically bolt in"

Comment

oh it will bolt in there, but getting it to run in there is a different story.

Comment

yeah... down here in Aust nissan drag engines are like RB26DETT/RB26DET (common swaps in VL commodores), FJ20DET, SR20DET not so much the CA18 but there are a some nicely done up 180SX with the CA18, so that probly y ive never hear of the KA

Comment

Originally posted by S13 Black Wolf
                            yeah... down here in Aust nissan drag engines are like RB26DETT/RB26DET (common swaps in VL commodores), FJ20DET, SR20DET not so much the CA18 but there are a some nicely done up 180SX with the CA18, so that probly y ive never hear of the KA
                            I thought you were from OZ Im down there once in a while where ya located. stop by http://www.*Censored**Censored**Cens...ed*.com/forums theres a few Aussies there and we are runnin out of OZ I can also hook ya up with some importers for parts and what nots.

Comment

im sweet for importing and stuff like that. but im not to happy at the moment cos when i dropped the SR in me S13, i must have bumped the raditator cap which which now dosen't hold pressure any more, and i was drivin today and the car overheated cooked the head and now ive got oil in with the coolant so ive only got one engine now

Comment

im goin ca18det cuz i dont need the extra power the sr20det can give me, and its cheaper. Its just teh matter of finding one in my prefecture. Ill prolly get one after the summer because im leaving to Virginia at the end of june and it would be pointless to pay road tax early...oh yeah...and shawn (okinawanhcr32) the thai also forced me to get it

Comment

Working...
                                X