No announcement yet.

KA24DET vs SR20DET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peak power occurence is about tuning, but I assume you mean max efficiency, and to that, I have to say "Why would you plan to reach max efficiency?" Thats just poor planning, like I said, more heat and more friction. That means, harder to cool and lower durability. Why make those factors if you don't have to? If you only want so much power, run at lower boost, even with a big turbo. Just cuz you have potential doesn't mean you have to reach it, it just means its there in case you want to. Im just saying you could go a little bigger and still have the seemless power. Just build the turbo kit for the application. Ball-bearing turbo on tubular mani and pick the intercooler and piping for the application. I don't recommend any particular turbo, but I'll look one up. I was thinkin more T3 sized. Maybe a hks or turbonetics piece.

Comment

Or on that same thought.. that GT28RS turbo.. the so called disco potato. Is internally different then the GT28 and flows alot better. For what hes looking it, that may be a better choice then a traditional GT28 off a s15 or something. It will probably have similar limitation to a stock factory turbo kit. Where you cant turbo the boost up too much.. After all that t25 was stock on the sr20, and its really at the edge of its performance there on the 2 liter. And they design factory anything for durability over performance.

Point being a better flowing GT28 varient like the gt28rs may be perfect for him.. but i'd really have to run some numbers and check out some compressor maps and stuff to see. And even then with out trying it its hard to tell.

Afterall the GT28RS from sport compact car is making bout 280 horse power at 15PSI, and they have had it up to 22 psi on the drag strip.. If hes shooting for 250-260 horse power he should be fine. a regular GT28 though is on its edge around here. Though a few guys are pushing 250-260 hp on the stock t28 s14 turbos over at nico. Though obviously i dont know how long those engines will last or anything.

Comment

For FYI purposes:

I have the longest running, most reliable KA+T in the US. 4+ years, 60k+ miles.

Stock internal, daily driven at 14.5psi (1.0 bar), 91 octane. Car gets used for road course, drift etc.

Bounces off redline often while drifting (7,200rpm).

At the boost level, the engine makes over 318rwhp and 330lb-ft of torque. A very, very driveable package that works for topspeed, grip, drift, and all around daily driving.

The peak power is @ 6k to 6.5k rpm. Yes, there's a flat curve there.

When Benson Hsu drove my car, his comment was interesting. "Drives like a SR!"...

My point here is:

With a properly setup package, reliability is not an issue, and driveability is also great. The KA doesn't have a top rpm issue when boosted. Most SR folks that talk down on KA, haven't been in a KA+T or KAT. (+ for bolt on). Even if the peak power is the same, the KA will have a broader powerband.

An often used example was back in 2001, during the first Nissan 240SX convention in Kansas City, Mo, where 2 different cars, KA vs SR, with same peak power did an impromptu test. The heavier S14 with the KA+T was able to walk away everytime... More power in the powerband...

As for block strength, stock block, well, it's still holding up on my friend's T66 534rwhp KAT. No issue.

But as I've concluded time and time again in this seemingly ageless question of KA vs. SR/SR vs KA. Vanilla vs Rocky Road? Which is your favorite flavor? Just pick one and enjoy... Both are good.
        '97 S14 SE Turb, whats your setup?

Comment

well thanks for the input guys. you seem to know your stuff. ive always had the disco turbo in the back of my head but im trying to budget with money. how does the td06 20g on the greddy kit compare to the gt28rs as far as efficiency range and spool,etc?
          oh yea, and what about the gt25r??
          Last edited by URMachines; 06-06-2004, 06:47 PM.

Comment

bump

Comment

well after doing some map research, i decided to go with a t3/t04e 50 trim. it seems to have the best efficiency for the KA for a cheap turbo.
              as for my KA build, it is finally going to start sometime next week after i get it from a member here. im gonna start by heat treating and shotpeaning the block and OE rods and then will be sent out to be bored to 90mm.
              after, i will assemble with some wiseco 9:1 pistons, nissan bearings, ARP head and main studs, fidanza flywheel, and cometic head gasket.
              it will be NA until after i get an LSD, swaybars, wheels and tires.
              if anyone has any advice on building the KA, please let me know!

Comment

Hey fellow 240sx owners

I recently built my 240 to more ponies then my wife wanted me to .
                ka24development.com is a good source of info to injest.
                OK here we go . My goal was to make 420 whp so this is what i did (ill do engine mods only)Ok first off the KA24de has forged rods and crank. The pistons are the weak link (thin ring landings), so i had my crank balanced shot peaned ,pauter rods looked beefier but weigh the same as stock rods,so i went with the existing stock rods(forged)and saves money. Took the stock pistons and made ash trays out of them ,and put in ross 8:1 forged pistons in their place(jgy-customs.com and ka24de.com).
                The 91 to 94 240sx has hot cams 248 240 degree duration opposed to 230 230 duration 95 and up has.So I bought whole ka24de 1993 head from junk yard for 100 bucks , port polished myself then sent out for valves and landing regrind x3, replaced springs and retainers(titinium springs reduce valve float under high boast) . jgy-customs.com supplied high flow top feed fuel rail , 550cc injectors , walboro high pressure fuel pump .
                I hacked my maf to regulate fuel air flow but that was good for 220, 250 whp only(see ka24dedevelopent.com. )
                I had to get a JWT ecu and a cobra MAF and holy Shiotttt i havnt even got to the turbo yet.
                Ok here is some more revelation on the us ka motor the sr20det has oil squirters to cool the pistons under boost guess what? so does the KA24de lol yea thats right look at the engine specs Ka24DE has oil squitters rumor controll has it that the ka24de was going to be turbo'ed wow !!! ok turbo-calculator.com has really good deals on manifold , turbo , and bov . Ineedparts.com is a good place to get a high performance radiator,duel flow 19x28x3 aluminum for under 300 bucks. ok ill post more later wife says i need to go , i took me 4500 bucks to spank supra's no *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*

Comment

Greetings and welcome to the forums.

Also thanks for the links they are quite useful.

Comment

Working...
                  X