Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1JZ-GTE vs. 2JZ-GTE

whats up guys
    i have some questions. i'll be using the car for street/drifting.
    1. 1jz-gte vs. 2jz-gte? both have 280ps, one is 2.5l and the other is 3.0l, both twin turbo... so which one has greater potential?
    2. should i get a sx90 with a 4s-fe 120ps under $1k and swap the engine with 1jz-gte or 2jz-gte, or jzx90 tourer V with 1jz-gte 280ps, and if i get the jzx90 should i swap the engine with 2jz-gte? either one i get i have to have blow off valve, turbo timer, lsd, coilovers. so with all these mods which one would be cheaper?
    thanks, any comment is appreciated

There really is no choice here: 2JZ

Comment

Its your choice

As a rule of thumb the larger the displacement, the more power a motor will make. Now before I get flamed there are a few exceptions here. Forced induction is the main difference for that is the only replacement for displacement as far as i'm concerned. Now you can tune a smaller motor to make more power then a larger stock motor, but you are always limited by your displacement and boost. Some motors have been engineered better, such as better balancing, better valve train so on so forth, and these motors perform better and more efficently then others. But this is common sense so really its what you can afford, price out the motors and do some research and see what kind of after market parts you would need and how easy they would be to find. After weighing all the variables then you can make your choice. As far as your motor selection here the 2JZ is the better chioce for power, and parts avalability. I am not sure about the price difference and I wouldnt imagine the weight wouldnt be that different. Good luck on your decision.

Lucidstrife

Comment

Re: Its your choice

Originally posted by LucidStrife
        As a rule of thumb the larger the displacement, the more power a motor will make. Now before I get flamed there are a few exceptions here. Forced induction is the main difference for that is the only replacement for displacement as far as i'm concerned. Now you can tune a smaller motor to make more power then a larger stock motor, but you are always limited by your displacement and boost. Some motors have been engineered better, such as better balancing, better valve train so on so forth, and these motors perform better and more efficently then others. But this is common sense so really its what you can afford, price out the motors and do some research and see what kind of after market parts you would need and how easy they would be to find. After weighing all the variables then you can make your choice. As far as your motor selection here the 2JZ is the better chioce for power, and parts avalability. I am not sure about the price difference and I wouldnt imagine the weight wouldnt be that different. Good luck on your decision.

Lucidstrife
        spoken well!!!

i would prefer the 2jz...more power potential...Toyota LEARNED from the 1jz...there is no substiture for displacement in turbo applications...NONE. but the 1jz's are a rev happy motor thanks to the small 2.5 liter displacement vs. the 2js 3 liter...

go ahead and buy the 2j you wont regret the extra power potential

if i had the money it would be 2jz all the way....the 1jz parts are too rare for me

Comment

2Jz is definately a better choice.

Comment

id only go for the 1jz if thats what the car has in japan.

Comment

go Top Secret style... RB26

Comment

I have to correct the guy that said that toyota learned from the one jay z actually it is a direct descendant of the m series motors. That being said in a context you are right basically the onejz is a prototype to the 2jz. I would say go 2jz if you could afford it due to the aftermarket support.Some staunch drfiters will say that you should swap in a even lighter engine but I and 2jz compared weight isn't really an issue between the two. Good luck

Comment

one cool thing about the 1jz is the much shorter stroke, making it very rev-happy comapred to the 2j. Also, i believe, the 1j is parallel turbo while the 2j is in-line. from what i here, the 1jz makes quite a highway motor...

Comment

oh yeah, and it is cheaper

Comment

True dat it is cheaper I like the 2jz because of the abudancy of easily available stateside performance options.whereas the 1jz has alot better perofmance options in japan but I guess it doesn't matter since we are not talking about the US. I wasn't aware of the onejz's higher revs,I personally prefer higher revs. I not sure what your saying about the turbo are you implying the 1jz has bi turbo compared to the 2jz's sequential setup.this thread has been very informative.

Comment

the more important question is how much hp do you want to make?
                        if i did an rb240 id be fine at 400which is a waste of the motor in my opinion, and thats why i dont want to do it.

Comment

Swap the heads from a 1jz to a 2jz block. It takes advantage of the 1jz single turbo (later models) with variable valve timing

The 1jz also has ceramic turbos: Meaning if you turn up the boost anything 'good' over stock then they're gonna blow up on ya.

Mind you that the 2jz has the same CT12 ceramic turbo issue: if its the JDM version.

The best engine in the Japanese car world is the USDM Supra motor because it uses steel turbo set-up. Not sure why the JDM version had cheap *Censored**Censored**Censored* version. I think its the ONE time we got a better product vs its Japanese counterpart

theres a lot of debate over independent twin turbos (1JZ) and parallel setup (2jz) so you'll have to do your own research on that. ....

eh, Id dump the dual, single manifold on the 1jz and the twin turbo manifold on the 2jz and just get a big single turbo manifold fabbed up

Comment

Re: 1JZ-GTE vs. 2JZ-GTE

Originally posted by MongolDrifter
                            whats up guys
                            i have some questions. i'll be using the car for street/drifting.
                            1. 1jz-gte vs. 2jz-gte? both have 280ps, one is 2.5l and the other is 3.0l, both twin turbo... so which one has greater potential?
                            2. should i get a sx90 with a 4s-fe 120ps under $1k and swap the engine with 1jz-gte or 2jz-gte, or jzx90 tourer V with 1jz-gte 280ps, and if i get the jzx90 should i swap the engine with 2jz-gte? either one i get i have to have blow off valve, turbo timer, lsd, coilovers. so with all these mods which one would be cheaper?
                            thanks, any comment is appreciated
                            This must be Tengis... How have you been?

Comment

Originally posted by DriftGirl
                              Swap the heads from a 1jz to a 2jz block. It takes advantage of the 1jz single turbo (later models) with variable valve timing

The 1jz also has ceramic turbos: Meaning if you turn up the boost anything 'good' over stock then they're gonna blow up on ya.

Mind you that the 2jz has the same CT12 ceramic turbo issue: if its the JDM version.

The best engine in the Japanese car world is the USDM Supra motor because it uses steel turbo set-up. Not sure why the JDM version had cheap *Censored**Censored**Censored* version. I think its the ONE time we got a better product vs its Japanese counterpart

theres a lot of debate over independent twin turbos (1JZ) and parallel setup (2jz) so you'll have to do your own research on that. ....

eh, Id dump the dual, single manifold on the 1jz and the twin turbo manifold on the 2jz and just get a big single turbo manifold fabbed up
                              uhhh arent they sequential on the jza80 supra, but an easy switch to parralel (just a few lines)

Comment

Working...
                              X