FF advantages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF advantages

Can anybody tell me why it is that FF supposedly is better in the rain than FR? I have driven and even drifted FF but i can't figure this one out. I don't know the specific meaning of this but maybe it is about the generally larger tires on the front wheels of FFs or more weight from the engine on the rear wheels or something... if somebody coud shed some light on this i would really appreciate this.. thanx in advance

A front wheel drive car is well, driven by its front wheels so generally unless you use the e-brake you can't make the back wheels loose traction, whereas a rear wheel drive car is, yep, driven by the rear wheels and when it is raining there is less traction on the road than when it is dry and if you are not careful you will loose control of your car. so basically in the rain you do not have to be as skilled of a driver to keep a front wheel drive car on the road.

Comment

Since I drive an FF, I would say the entire drivetrain contributes to it (duh). The weight distribution is key to its handling ability. FF puts the engine weight directly over the driven wheels which can improve traction on slippery or snow-packed roads. But if your at a stop on a water gutter (maybe making a right turn out of a neigborhood), with water present, and your front wheels are in the gutter, then you might be prone to peeling out/hydroplaning. Not that it matters, it's something I exprience all the time...

Comment

Originally posted by insane
        A front wheel drive car is well, driven by its front wheels so generally unless you use the e-brake you can't make the back wheels loose traction, whereas a rear wheel drive car is, yep, driven by the rear wheels and when it is raining there is less traction on the road than when it is dry and if you are not careful you will loose control of your car. so basically in the rain you do not have to be as skilled of a driver to keep a front wheel drive car on the road.
        Skill has nothing to do with it...FR and FF can both equally keep traction in the rain or whatever terrain. It just depends on the speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Thai Juku
          Skill has nothing to do with it...FR and FF can both equally keep traction in the rain or whatever terrain. It just depends on the speed.
          thats what i thought.. i guess they just say that cuz FR spins easier under power

Comment

i think the mr2 would habdle the best in the rain...you wouldnt slide as easy

Comment

Originally posted by RallyGT
              i think the mr2 would habdle the best in the rain...you wouldnt slide as easy
              Actually, its like any other FR. Its back is heavy, so it's harder to control and regain the traction. Thats why it spins out a lot when you try to drift it.

Comment

well you can definitely get the rear end of an FF out in the rain its all about the driver and the car itself, my old sentra acted like an FR in the rain. The thing with stability in either types of car is that if you give it to much gas, that is generally what makes you lose control, and giving it too much gas in an FF mostly just gives you a little understeer, and you can generally just let go then give it less. with FR you give it too much the back slides out and you can get into a buncha trouble...mind you i am generalizing.
                RallyGT: the thing about MR2 is that it is mid engine as the name implies, so its harder to make slip, but still possible, and if you do, chances are you are screwed because all the weight is in the back and its way harder to bring it back

once again im just generalizing and im really mostly talking about normal everyday driving.

thai juku it isnt like any other FR, especially since it isnt an FR its an MR, the engine is on top of the rear axle. if you spin out, then the back end will have a lot more momentum and will be very difficult to bring it back

Comment

^Yeah buddy just copy what I just said...Kidding...

Comment

are you talkin about me?

Comment

...Yes...

Comment

my friend has an mr2. plows like crazy... and then the mr2 is also spin happy...

Comment

lol how am i saying what you said at the end i completely went against what you said

{edit} i just realized how i worded that seemed like i wanted to start an argument, and i meant no offense though

Comment

Just kidding...I like to joke around sometimes...no harm done

Comment

awesome there need to be way more chill people like you, not only on this site but in the world

Comment

Working...
                              X