ca18det drifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ca18det drifter

the ca has the least displacement of the kat, sr, and ca so if it is the lightest (not sure if it is) would that make a 50/50 weight disrtibution possible. also wich engine would be the most relaible 280-300 whp dd and 375-450 on race gas. thanks in advance.

www.sr20forum.com

Comment

I'm not sure about reliability, but im pretty sure that the sr is lighter than the ca because it has an aluminum block while the ca has an iron block.

Comment

I don't know if anyone's weighed the CA, but the SR and the KA are about the same weight rolling in at about 500lbs. The SR is primarily aluminum while the KA is mostly iron, yet they are about the same weight. If you're talking about getting a 50/50 weight distribution, on a coupe, move the battery to the rear, use a carbon hood, and use the silvia front end. That'll get you very close to 50/50. Ditto with the fastback.

at 280-300, I'd go with KAT or SR. They're both able to hit that pretty easily and pretty reliably. At 375-450, the KA in terms of reliability because of one thing. When you start approaching those numbers, the SR's bottom end is approaching the limits of what it can handle. Yes I've heard about the Enjuku SR, but not all motors are going to be the same in terms of the condition of the bottom end. The reason why I say the KA, you would have achieved those limits before you would on the SR. You would already have needed to replace the bottom end before hitting those numbers. That's why I'd say the KA is more reliable at those numbers.

Comment

Where do you get your info comic books. The sr will take 400 even 500 on a almost stock bottom end. What the pro's from japan aint doing above 300. I know guys in Japan with just bolt on mods hitting 350 to 360 and have been running their sr's with absulutly no trouble.

Also the Ca is a cast block it wheighs more than the SR. And swaping 240 and japan sheet metal wont drop any wheight. What is this fasination with 50/50 weight. A little front heavy is better hell you think Kuroi is worried about 50/50 he rocks a rb26.

Internet drifters= PIPE dreams
          Last edited by LAPD; 09-06-2004, 08:14 AM.

Comment

You are quite right about the SR. But the fixed Silvia headlights are much lighter than the pop ups. and the the fastback is lighter with better weight distribution than the coupe, and with the silvia conversion, the fast back is even closer to 50/50 distribution. And weight distribution is very important, but with an RB26, there so much power it doesen't matter about balance, because the RB can haul that heavy *Censored**Censored**Censored* around turns easily.

Comment

Re: ca18det drifter

Originally posted by sdtouge
              the ca has the least displacement of the kat, sr, and ca so if it is the lightest (not sure if it is) would that make a 50/50 weight disrtibution possible. also wich engine would be the most relaible 280-300 whp dd and 375-450 on race gas. thanks in advance.
              BTW, just because it has smaller displacement does not mean that the engine itself is smaller or lighter. By no means, it can mean several things.

Depending on the crank to rod length ratio, you can have a very happy revving engine or a stroker with tons of torque but super unreliable on the topend. Alot of engine building shops will refuse to stroke a motor that is already good.

BTW, if you bore out the motor, you're going to lighten your motor because you just lost some mass inside your engine wall.

I know nothing about the CA18, but I'm just letting you know the common missconception.

Matt.

Comment

CA18DET are great for under 300 goals. Above that they need head studs and a head gasket. They are awesome little motors that rev great. KA-T is the best way to 400 that i can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by LAPD
                  Where do you get your info comic books. The sr will take 400 even 500 on a almost stock bottom end. What the pro's from japan aint doing above 300. I know guys in Japan with just bolt on mods hitting 350 to 360 and have been running their sr's with absulutly no trouble.

Also the Ca is a cast block it wheighs more than the SR. And swaping 240 and japan sheet metal wont drop any wheight. What is this fasination with 50/50 weight. A little front heavy is better hell you think Kuroi is worried about 50/50 he rocks a rb26.

Internet drifters= PIPE dreams
                  How many people here have done rebuilds on the CA18DET, SR20DE and SR20DET, KA (sohc and dohc), and an RB20? *raises hand* I've seen alot of different condition motors. Most likely you've never considered that two USED condition motors may not be the same on the inside. Just cuz the pro's are running 400 on the stock bottom end doesn't mean that they haven't torn the motor down, inspected and repaired as necessary. Keep in mind that most guys stateside will get their hands only on USED motors. Which usually means 'sold as is' aka no warranty. You've no idea how hard those motors have been beat up while in Japan, I was lucky I got a good clip with a good condition parts. A few other locals though weren't so lucky when I tore down their motors. The 3S-GTE I'm currently rebuilding now was seized, his pistons were scored from valves hitting it and as a rebuilder, I was pretty po'ed that someone sold him that motor in that crappy a condition, but it happens. So by all means, go ahead take any motor you find, and go ahead and try to build up massive amounts of power and see how long it lasts. A key word in the first post was reliability, now if you're talking about making 4 passes on the 1/4 mile and having your motor rebuilt then it's not too much of an issue, but some guys here (myself included) have our cars as daily drivers aka reliability is very crucial to us (especially if you've a job or go to school and have an exam to take) so why don't you take a step back and think about it a bit more eh?

Also from what it looks like, you've never tried lifting the headlight motors for the flip ups compared to the fixed headlights. I can tell you I have, and there's quite a difference. ~44lbs difference when you change to the silvia fixed headlights from the flip up light assembly. Yet another reason why front ends tend to lift up a bit when you put the silvia front end on stock shocks/springs, cuz they're spec'ed for something a bit heavier.

A bit of info for engines, just because a sheet of aluminum weighs less than a sheet of iron, doesn't mean that's the way it is for motors. There's a thing called fatigue all metals go through, iron handles it alot better than aluminum does. Aluminum builds it up even though the stress has been taken off it, iron dumps the stress. As a result, aluminum blocks/heads tend to be bigger and over engineered as a result of that fundamental weakness. Yeah it's lighter if it's cast the same way, but if they're two differnt motors, yeah you've got something else to weigh in.

LAPD, looks like you've been reading too many initial d comics and need to get your head out of those comic book drifts.

Comment

Originally posted by 180fan
                    A bit of info for engines, just because a sheet of aluminum weighs less than a sheet of iron, doesn't mean that's the way it is for motors. There's a thing called fatigue all metals go through, iron handles it alot better than aluminum does. Aluminum builds it up even though the stress has been taken off it, iron dumps the stress. As a result, aluminum blocks/heads tend to be bigger and over engineered as a result of that fundamental weakness. Yeah it's lighter if it's cast the same way, but if they're two differnt motors, yeah you've got something else to weigh in.
                    This is very true... Aluminum doesn't have a predictable tensile pattern as does most other materials. Aluminum actually is known to have a very erratic curve. Therefore, it has to be overengineered with several factors of safety to cope with the amount of stress that comes about in a motor.

Most of the other materials that are used in car engines are very predictable. Anyways, just because a motor has six cylinders doesn't mean it's heavy either...

Next time, check the specs of the motor before saying which one is heavier. You can destroke a 3.0L motor to a 2.5L motor that revs like a champ. Or you can take a 5.0L muscle engine and stroke it into a 5.5L torquey beast... In both cases, weight of the motor did not change significantly. But the characteristics of the motor did change.

Matt.
                    Last edited by Craftsman; 09-06-2004, 04:51 PM.

Comment

dont try to be an RX-7...leave that to us(rotary drivers) jijiiji

Comment

Originally posted by twcfc3s
                        dont try to be an RX-7...leave that to us(rotary drivers) jijiiji
                        huh? What does this have to do with anything?

ROFL... I say go with SR20DET and put on the Disco Potato (Jim Wolf Technology/Garrett's T28 Turbo)... This is a very powerful setup from what I hear and understand.

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by 180fan
                          How many people here have done rebuilds on the CA18DET, SR20DE and SR20DET, KA (sohc and dohc), and an RB20? *raises hand* I've seen alot of different condition motors. Most likely you've never considered that two USED condition motors may not be the same on the inside. Just cuz the pro's are running 400 on the stock bottom end doesn't mean that they haven't torn the motor down, inspected and repaired as necessary. Keep in mind that most guys stateside will get their hands only on USED motors. Which usually means 'sold as is' aka no warranty. You've no idea how hard those motors have been beat up while in Japan, I was lucky I got a good clip with a good condition parts. A few other locals though weren't so lucky when I tore down their motors. The 3S-GTE I'm currently rebuilding now was seized, his pistons were scored from valves hitting it and as a rebuilder, I was pretty po'ed that someone sold him that motor in that crappy a condition, but it happens. So by all means, go ahead take any motor you find, and go ahead and try to build up massive amounts of power and see how long it lasts. A key word in the first post was reliability, now if you're talking about making 4 passes on the 1/4 mile and having your motor rebuilt then it's not too much of an issue, but some guys here (myself included) have our cars as daily drivers aka reliability is very crucial to us (especially if you've a job or go to school and have an exam to take) so why don't you take a step back and think about it a bit more eh?

Also from what it looks like, you've never tried lifting the headlight motors for the flip ups compared to the fixed headlights. I can tell you I have, and there's quite a difference. ~44lbs difference when you change to the silvia fixed headlights from the flip up light assembly. Yet another reason why front ends tend to lift up a bit when you put the silvia front end on stock shocks/springs, cuz they're spec'ed for something a bit heavier.

LAPD, looks like you've been reading too many initial d comics and need to get your head out of those comic book drifts.
                          Comic books eh I was drifting before you were out of daipers. I was on this site before you saw your first ID manga. Ive been building these cars in japan for over 12 years now PUD WISTLE. DO you know who I am yet.

IM DX and ya better ask some body Biatch

Comment

Originally posted by LAPD
                            Comic books eh I was drifting before you were out of daipers. I was on this site before you saw your first ID manga. Ive been building these cars in japan for over 12 years now PUD WISTLE. DO you know who I am yet.

IM DX and ya better ask some body Biatch
                            i knew you were dx!!!! now with the ca18det how much are they goin for anyways????

Comment

That's quite a shock to the system eh? Our old pal DX knows his stuff, take a gander:

Ground Zero suspension, designed by our good friend LAPD here. This is on a Veilside project car BTW.

Other shot

The homies at veilside (in case for some bitter reason you think this doods BSin)

The car he's also workin on.

Random Veilside pic

Funny, I didnt see any comic books laying around...

OWNED

Comment

Working...
                              X