I dont know whats wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont know whats wrong

Ok so i was driving home from school today and there was no one on the streetso i figer hey there is nothing that can go wrong with a little sideways action right? So i did the turn and it all cam out good, but then after i drove about 7 or 8 blocks up the street my engine almost seem to lag and then jump when i full throtle it im rolling at about 20 to 30mph. It almost seem like one of my pistions dosnt spark and when the rpm hits 3000 or 3400 the car is fine. And when im siting on the drive way my car shakes alot and the exhoust sounds weird i dont know if i can explain it but insted of sounding like "dooOooOoOo" it kinda sounds like "pUt ppUt Put pot Put." If anyone know anything please help me out thanks.

1996 240sx

Check your plug wires first.

Engines need three things: Fuel, Air, and Spark.

Comment

I pulled my plug wires and plugs and every thing seems ok

Comment

OK, how bout fuel. When you slid, it could have jarred the car bad, and may have done something to your fuel filter. When the car sputters, do you smell some unburnt fuel?

Or, worst case scenerio, you damaged the motor and one of your cylinders has no compression.

Do you have a compression tester?

Comment

Any CEL's?

Comment

i smell some un burnt fuel and i did a test i saw in a magazin were u leave your engine on and pull a plug wire out and if the rpms dip then your fine but if u do and nothing happins then your losing compression or something and i did it and my 4th piston the one next to the fire wall didnt dip.
            this is bad isnt it...
            am i looking at a big bill to fix or is this a fix it your self kinda thing i can do?

Comment

My friend had the exact same problem with his jetta and it turned out that i=his stock catalytic converter was clogged

Comment

really wow thx fer that help ill have to get back to u guys on my how my car is

Comment

i had the same problem in my dad's 1988 300zx. Just throw in straight pipes until inspection.

Comment

if you pulled plug 4 and it didn't do jack, your plug may still be working, possibly the injector could have given out too. You've got a few things to check now.

Compression - this will tell you if you've got a blow head gasket.

check the spark from plug #4. Pull the fuse for the fuel pump. It'll keep your car from turning over. Let the fuel pressure drop out till your motor dies. Pull the spark plug out for #4 and hold it by the rubber boot of the plug wire. do NOT hold it by the plug you will get a very nasty shock when doing what I'm bout to tell you. Put the tip of the plug near the head. Tell a buddy to crank the motor.

If you don't see sparks, check your distributor cap. If the other cylinders are firing, then it's probably not the rotor, or ignitor coil or distributor itself. Come to think of it, I think the s14's have the coil in the distributor...but probably the cap is worn for cylinder 4. give that a check.

If you see sparks fly between the plug and the head or valve cover, you're geting spark. In which case it's probably your injector. Pull the harness off the back of your injectors and test with an ohmmeter. typical resistances will be about 12-14 ohms.

Give those a try and lets see what's cookin.

Comment

Originally posted by 180fan
                      if you pulled plug 4 and it didn't do jack, your plug may still be working, possibly the injector could have given out too. You've got a few things to check now.

Compression - this will tell you if you've got a blow head gasket.
                      Or plumes of burning coolant...

if the car winds up fine above 3200 or whatever I would be a little surprised if it is the 4th cylender injector.

Comment

My dads 90 Taurus SHO is doing the same thing right now, im confused and he is confused. The engine has only got 110+ miles on it. I hope its not as serious as what you guys have said :O

Comment

there's a lot more stuff then just the things mentioned that could cause symptoms like that.

Any one of a number of sensors, bad grounds, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
                            Or plumes of burning coolant...

if the car winds up fine above 3200 or whatever I would be a little surprised if it is the 4th cylender injector.
                            good call. or checking the oil for coffee colored badness.

Comment

wow thanks alot u guys really helped me
                              I found out what was wrong my brother told me that u should just try to put in fuel injector cleaner and BAM the car started to even out and now after a day or two after runing the car is doing great
                              Thanks alot you guys for pointing me tword the injectors

Comment

Working...
                              X