Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey DriftinCressida,

What you know about this?

Oops, thats right. Nothin. Sittin in my driveway right now son. My friend Chris's new nightmare. Why don't you stop flappin your gums.

Last edited by 05m0515; 09-25-2004, 01:50 AM.

Comment

The silver top and black top engines are great.

Toyota Power ratings are 160 for the silver top and 165 for the black top (thats ps- but damn near the same as hp so who cares)

BUT they actually score lower on real dynos in stock form, closer to upper 140s and low 150s.

Differences are small between the silver top and black top engines- As stated the silver top has a compressio nratio of 10.5 and the black has 11. Black top also has lighter conrods but thats not always a good thing- the silvertops conrods actually take mroe abuse and highger revs then the blacktops according to most becuase theyre stronger. Another thing to note is the silvertop uses afm for the intake while the black top uses map (those are the reasons for the small power difference)
      ___

Being a 4age its block will bolt right into the ae86 BUT some thing will need to be handled first. As stated before the firewall MAY need to be happered/cut back but not becuase the engine itself is longer exactly. Its simply becasue its an FF engine and the distributor happens to be facing that way- you either need to make room for it or use a stand alone distributor system.

The 20v engines come stock with vvt which advance the intake cam 30 degrees once 4400 rpms is reached on the older engines, and at a certain throttle point on the later (also it only activates at a certain point- and cuts out around 7200 rpms). This makest he stock 86 ecu useless, not that yodu want to use it since it has a pre-mapped fuel curve when the engine is at full throttle. If you remove the intake cover on the silvertop also keep in mind afm is useless and youll need a map hook up. i HIGHLY reccomend the Wolf 3d ecu. one of the best ecus ive seen for aroudn 1500 bucks (more then worth it- check them out)

Youll need to hook the flywheel up properly with a guiding pin since it cam from a ff though it will bolt right up to the t50 tranny otherwise, youll need to make custom water and oil lines, youll need custom headers for itas well (ya ya screw u guys; multiple pipes- its plural, headers.. sue me) you CAN use the trd headers for the 16v engine as the exaut ports are the same bolt different holes for the bolts will need to be made to it hooks up. just the basics but you get the point.

I can keep going but you get the idea- GREAT engine with incredible throttle repsonse. With some light modding 180 horsepower is an easy number to get to.. thi swap for an 86 will set you back about 1300-1500 bucks on average depending on how much of the work u can do yourself (that doesnt include the wolf 3d ecu, just a stock ae101 or ae111 ecu)

(please excuse any typos- its like 3 am lol)

Comment

Hey 05m0515 i meant to ask- what are the mods to that 20v? How well does vvt work with that hks cam gear? I never thought about using an adjsutable cam gear for the exhaust and leaving the vvt on the intake- i was going to end up using adjustable on both sides

Comment

Originally posted by 05m0515
          Hey DriftinCressida,

What you know about this?

Oops, thats right. Nothin. Sittin in my driveway right now son. My friend Chris's new nightmare. Why don't you stop flappin your gums.

Nice. I love it

Comment

Hehe, yeah there sure are some stuck up people on here. Most of them know about as much as you cressida dude.

Darkstar, there were origionally all blue tops, during the same generation the japanese motors that were high comp were built with red lettering, thus the name red top. However when teh AE92s went into production the motors were all produced with red lettering on the valve covers, and as is mentioned on many a website already valve covers have been traded between motors so many times by now you cant trust color of lettering on any motor. Unless they are black limited like mine. Whole cover is black and letters are silver.

When putting in my 20V block I learned that the adapter for the oil filter has to be from the 20V. Two reasons, one the darn oil pan doesnt have a "bung" to recieve lines from the oil cooler and US stuff simply doesnt bolt in.

Also you will have to use 16V flywheel and clutch assembly and new pilot bearing. If anyone cares I also have clevite bearings on 12:1 compression wesico pistons and a ported and pollished head that could swallow a small child. Hope to get it up and running later this month. Ill post up for all to poke fun at.
            Last edited by DaGOATRollaGTS; 09-25-2004, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, rumble also means to fight...

Comment

Originally posted by DaGOATRollaGTS
                Oh yeah, rumble also means to fight...
                yea. that's probably the best one, too.

Comment

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLET'S GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEE!! sorry i just had to. Anybody remember that guy from boxing matches?

Comment

No, Stay on topic.

Comment

Theres the blue top largeport 16v

redtop largeport 16v

and redtop small port 16v

There IS a difference between the blue and redtop largeport 16vs beyond cam color. The redtops have a 7 rib block and heavier internals; the 16v however only has a 3 rib block.

Small port has no tvis, and higher compression

20vs have been explained

Then theres the "z" series engines wit ha supercharger. earlier ones making 140 hp with the newer ones making 160.

Comment

Thanks Sideways, I had forgoten the difference between what the MR2 owners call the ribbed and non ribbed blocks.

As a matter of fact your obviously a knowledgeable guy and seem pretty cool. Pop over to www.DGTrials.com and say hello.

Comment

Cool little site; gallery isnt too bad.

The mr2 aw11 has a bluetop 4age (had to pull an ac pump off one from the junk yard actually).

Now im not POSSITIVE on this, so dont quote me.. but i THINK the redtop largeport was never sold here in america, Im pretty sure the largeport cars (Fx16, Aw11, and Ae86) were all bluetops... and i think the redtop largeport is a jdm type of engine only.

(Ive got a redtop largeport in my 86, but it was in before i got the car so i dont know where it came from)

Comment

this thread was almost dead, but have come across something at the club4ag tech reference. The AE101 and AE111 4ag's each have fuel requirements of 100 octane. any comments?

Comment

Well, you'll need to put 91+ octane in. No problem...

Comment

My hi-comp is sposed to get 100 aswell. It runs fine on 91

Comment

Working...
                                X